RyanVM might be shutting down

bphlpt

Ryan has been overwhelmed lately with spam posts on his phpBB based forum, so is thinking of just chucking the whole thing and shutting it down. So for any of you who have ever visited RyanVM, please go here - https://ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22279 - and post your thoughts. TIA

=========================================

posted by RyanVM:

Hey all, after logging in today for the first time in awhile and seeing over 10,000 spam posts awaiting moderation and seeing very little in the way of new posts lately, it's got me thinking long and hard about whether it's worth keeping this site alive anymore. I'm strongly considering making everything read-only and stopping new registrations.

It's been a heck of a run, but all things eventually come to an end. I'll give it a couple days to think it over more. Let me know if you have a reason to strongly object.

Edited by bphlpt

With all due respect, if it unmaintainable it doesn't actually *need* to be killed (killing with it years of shared knowledge).

It should be possible to simply block new membership or even putting it in "read only mode".

jaclaz

I, and others, have told him that,  I'm just asking for others to also post at RyanVM to give Ryan some encouragement and add their voices to the suggestions. As you say, jaclaz, it would be a shame to lose a site with the "years of shared knowledge" that are there.

Cheers and Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Seems that ryanvm is down as of today, Accessing the site and the forum shows a 404 Not Found error. The "Down for Everyone or Just Me" service also reports the site as down. Hopefully this won't be the end.

image.png.be0bd330baf3926a2ccbc9c053d95038.pngimage.png.1fd26c9206946afe3addd710faaac536.png  

Edited by IntMD

40 minutes ago, wimc said:

This forum (at msfn.org) seems quite active, most of the time.

It is just an emergency check-in thread.

We could look into getting a thread at Reboot or in the AutoIT forum (two I can think of with some existing membership crossover).