Win 7 running extremely slow and buggy.

Raheem Jamali

Hey Guys, 

My roommate has a HP Compaq 6510b laptop with Intel Centrino Duo processor. It runs extremely buggy and slow. It can't even start a program or show files in drives. Even clicking on notification bar takes few minutes. It's running Windows 7 x64. There are some viruses here and there but I can't see much CPU usage by them in Task Manager. Or they might be using all cpu by hidding even them in taskmgr. CPU usage is normally shown as 7% to 20%. I have used Ccleaner to clean it but with no benefit. 

Edited by Raheem Jamali
Spelling mistake

On 10/20/2019 at 2:17 AM, Raheem Jamali said:

My roommate has a HP Compaq 6510b laptop with Intel Centrino Duo processor.

what kind of "intel centrino duo" cpu does that computer have, Raheem?

use the CPU-Z tool to identify the exact model of that Intel CPU chip.

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 weeks later...

What I found surprising is that the OP apparently detected ".......some viruses here and there........." but did not think to do anything about that as a priority.

Whether it would have fixed the problem who knows?

First thing I would have done after sorting that out would have been to do a System File Check (run > "sfc /scannow") and chkdsk afterwards too. The former would very likely have fixed or at least identified any system errors and avoided the need to re-install the whole OS.

My feeling is that the problem may have been the RAM.

I've checked and the laptop apparently only comes with 2GB (DDR2?) memory. That is the minimum required for Win7 64bit, 4GB is recommended for best performance. Win7 32bit has a minimum requirement of just 1GB with 2GB recommended.

So if the RAM being use with Win7 64bit was only the factory fitted 2GB and the laptop had a lot of installed programs and other stuff you may well have an explanation for why installing Win7 32bit has made it run "lightening fast" (sic).

Has that had all the MS updates applied yet? If not, expect that performance to drop when you do.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:10 AM, i430VX said:

I'd recommend using inspectre to disable the meltdown patch after fully updating, it kills win7 performance from my experience
(run it as admin)
https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

on my family's Win7 system (esp. an old Dell Inspiron PC with an Intel Sandy Bridge i5-2500 cpu), the latest W7 meltdown/spectre patches are doing the opposite, boosting performance rather than degrading/killing it

Maybe compared to the older ones, or some fluke causing that...but of the 15+ Win7 PCs I either have or deal with, it has degraded performance horribly, especially in windows explorer. But that's my 2¢, only.

:)

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2019 at 12:50 PM, i430VX said:

Maybe compared to the older ones, or some fluke causing that...but of the 15+ Win7 PCs I either have or deal with, it has degraded performance horribly, especially in windows explorer. But that's my 2¢, only.

:)

Does the performance issues also affect systems with an AMD processor?