Win7 End Of Support - KB4524752 MS Nagging Has Started

WalksInSilence

On 1/23/2020 at 8:37 PM, asdf2345 said:

I think what is meant is that the ESU updates require payment, so bypassing that is considered stealing.

The legal way to get the POSReady '09 updates also required payment (for POSReady '09).

I suppose a distinction could still be made: if the POSReady '09 XP hack wasn't published until after POSReady '09 was no longer available for sale, then the hack could be considered not stealing since you couldn't buy it from M$ anyway. But it does seem like a rather fine line we're not crossing.

At any rate, perhaps a more acceptable route would be to do what POSReady '09 did: spoof a different Win 7 version, perhaps Server 2008 R2. It would be more challenging than the XP registry hack - I think you'd need to hook GetProductInfo, so it would require some programming - but sounds prima facie doable.

RE: my niche issue with the January updates mentioned on one Win 7 64bit PC.

Put in a restore point and re-downloaded each update separately and tested the system after each with a second reboot. 

All now seems good - the encrypted volume type affected is still opening normally now with all three updates installed. What caused the problem? No idea but it is the first Windows update that has caused trouble with other programs which I've had in years.  "Telemetry gathering" annoyances excluded. :)

• 2 weeks later...

And the first ESU updates have been released: KB4537820 (Monthly Rollup)KB4537813 (Security-only update) & KB4537767 (IE11 Cumulative Security Update)

How to get this update

Before installing this update

Prerequisite:

You must install the updates listed below and restart your device before installing the latest Rollup. Installing these updates improves the reliability of the update process and mitigates potential issues while installing the Rollup and applying Microsoft security fixes.

The March 12, 2019 servicing stack update (SSU) (KB4490628).  To get the standalone package for this SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog. This update is required to install updates that are only SHA-2 signed.

The latest SHA-2 update (KB4474419) released September 10, 2019. If you are using Windows Update, the latest SHA-2 update will be offered to you automatically. This update is required to install updates that are only SHA-2 signed. For more information on SHA-2 updates, see 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support requirement for Windows and WSUS.

The January 14, 2020 SSU (KB4536952) or later. To get the standalone package for this SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog. 

The Extended Security Updates (ESU) Licensing Preparation Package (KB4538483) released February 11, 2020. The ESU licensing preparation package will be offered to you from WSUS. To get the standalone package for ESU licensing preparation package, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog.

After installing the items above, Microsoft strongly recommends that you install the latest SSU (KB4537829). If you are using Windows Update, the latest SSU will be offered to you automatically if you are an ESU customer. To get the standalone package for the latest SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog. For general information about SSUs, see Servicing stack updates and Servicing Stack Updates (SSU): Frequently Asked Questions.

Edited by IntMD

1 hour ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Has anyone tried if the embedded W7 updates install?

Microsoft Update catalog

enter in the search box

Windows 7 2020-02

You mean embedded updates on regular 7? No dice, exactly the same MSUs as regular 7.

Interestingly there is an "Optional" MS provided update for Win7 users this month: apparently the final Monthly Rollup introduced an annoying bug on some systems which renders the wallpaper you're using as all black.

Hasn't affected either of my two Win7 PCs; one uses a custom wallpaper and the other a MS wallpaper that came included with Win7 so no point in installing the update.

Anyone here experienced this bug?

EDIT

A bit weird, I'm now being offered as an optional update:-

2020-01 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4539601)

Download size: 314.4 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

This apparently includes the stuff that was in the 14th January KB4534310 'final' Win7 monthly rollup which I do have installed but also includes the black wallpaper fix too.

Whether MS are going to release the whole Preview content as an additional post EOL update or revert back to just providing the optional wallpaper fix will be interesting to see.

But why offer the full Preview to those without the extended licence who have KB4534310 installed if they are only going to get the wall paper fix? 

Edited by WalksInSilence

On 2/12/2020 at 1:01 AM, WalksInSilence said:

But why offer the full Preview to those without the extended licence who have KB4534310 installed if they are only going to get the wall paper fix?

Preview rollups for Windows 7 were offered almost every month, usually a few day later than regular updates. They contain the same updates as regular rollups, but some files have QFE patches. In Windows XP regular updates and QFE patches were provided in a single installer file.

Yes but we're past Win7 EOL and MS Support. That was supposed to end on 14th January with the final rollup.

The black wallpaper problem some people have experienced, apparently caused by something in that final rollup forced MS to issue a patch, post support cut off date. You could get the patch as an optional download but at some point they started offering a new rollup Preview instead with the support pages stating:-

"This non-security update includes improvements and fixes that were a part of KB4534310* (released January 14, 2020) and also includes these new quality improvements as a preview of the next Monthly Rollup update."

What next Monthly Rollup update? I'm not signed up for the Win7 ESR so why am I being offered a Preview of something I'm not going to get?

* I installed that almost a month ago, and it had issues for me but not the black wallpaper one so I did not install the later patch when it was first offered as an optional update.

The Preview makes it appear they may actually be going to issue a post EOL Monthly Rollup for (all?) WIn7 machines.     

11 hours ago, WalksInSilence said:

"This non-security update includes improvements and fixes that were a part of KB4534310* (released January 14, 2020) and also includes these new quality improvements as a preview of the next Monthly Rollup update."

It's another wording, typical for marketing mumbo-jumbo. AFAIR they haven't changed any word (only KB number and date) in comparison with previous updates (probably didn't even think about it).

Final rollup should also have final QFE rollup, it's been just longer delay this time.

Now you don't have automatic updates only (with exception for MSRT and MSSE). New updates are still available from Microsoft Update Catalog. I have installed 2 main updates issued for 2020-02: monthly rollup KB4537820 and cumulative update for IE11 KB4537767. No complaints, no problems so far.

Edited by Usher

So it is possible to update Win7 itself using the MS catalogue - I did not realise that could still be done.

I've never used automatic updates with Win7 and I'd assumed all I'd get from now on was notifications about non-system updates like MS Net Framework etc. 

2 hours ago, WalksInSilence said:

I'd assumed all I'd get from now on was notifications about non-system updates like MS Net Framework etc. 

That's true. In general you will get only notifications about MSRT. MSSE, .Net Framework. MS Office and other non-system updates. However, there have been some extra security updates for Windows XP, so you should expect that some extra updates for Windows 7 will be notified by system WU client in the future.