Win7 End Of Support - KB4524752 MS Nagging Has Started

WalksInSilence

Today I was notified of an "Important" update:  KB4524752.

Checked what this small update was all about and not surprised to find it will allow to MS nag you regularly about the end of Win7 updates support in 2020.

I've marked it to Hide this update but you can bet we'll get more of this sort of thing in the coming months.

21 hours ago, erpdude8 said:

KB4524752 is targeted specifically to Win7 PRO users
those using Win7 home premium or ultimate may still get KB4493132 instead

:blink:   But... but... with all due respect, why on Earth would anyone actually *want* to get either?  :unsure:  :dubbio:

I suppose it is better than having the nag surreptitiously installed as a scheduled task which is what happened with XP (Pro 32bit).

I have other Win7 Pro installations and not, at least not yet, been prompted to install the "Important" nag update on them. This made made me suspicious so I've checked all scheduled tasks and Customer/Windows Experience opt out settings and am pleased to report found nothing.

But just the fact the update nag has been presented as "Important" is going to make me even more careful with my update checks from now on.    

On 10/19/2019 at 2:21 PM, dencorso said:

:blink:   But... but... with all due respect, why on Earth would anyone actually *want* to get either?  :unsure:  :dubbio:

I'm sorry I was kinda vague in my previous post.

What I meant to say is that the KB4524752 update will be offered to Win7 Professional users thru Windows Update while those using Home Basic/Premium or Ultimate of Win7 editions will be offered the KB4493132 update instead of KB4524752 on the list of available updates thru WU.  And of course neither KB4493132 nor KB4524752 will show up for those using Win7 Enterprise & Server 2008 R2 editions.

Edited by erpdude8

My experience with update KB4524752 is that it slowed down the OS.  Software loading times were noticeably longer.  Download speeds on glueware iExplorer were much longer.  I uninstalled it and speeds seem back to normal.

Yes, I like Windows 7 as it like driving a stick-shift.  That Automatic thing called Windows 10 can be a pain at times.

8 hours ago, Dinosaur said:

My experience with update KB4524752 is that it slowed down the OS.  Software loading times were noticeably longer.  Download speeds on glueware iExplorer were much longer.  I uninstalled it and speeds seem back to normal.

And expect more updates to slow down the OS, it is the usual strategy to push users to change to the newer OS.

It started on January 2018 with Spectre and Meltdown palliative (pseudo) fixes from Intel and MS.

Just after Dicember 2017 updates, I stopped installing updates, and not a single problem here, just keep updating Avast Free and Firefox. and running Malwarebytes AntiMalware free about each two months, just to make sure everything is fine.

alacran

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

There had been numerous reports of Win7s automatically upgrading to Windows 10 ever since it became a thing. I haven't seen any reports of it since Windows 7 went EOS.

:unsure:  Well... but it didn't yet, the so called "extended support" actually goes on until Jan 14, 2020... ain't it? :dubbio:

Sorry, by EOS I meant end of sale... which is the "Extended" period that included OEM Facilitated Downgrade Rights (Buy Win 10, get Win 7 installed). I do not remember exactly how long ago it was, I wanted to say 2 years but that seems to be too long.

• 3 weeks later...

the nag can be disabled, according to https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/bypass-windows-7-extended-security-updates-eligibility.80606/page-7#post-1564680 , running 3 commands from cmd after installing update:

schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Setup\EOSNotify" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Setup\EOSNotify2" /Disable
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\EOSNotify" /v "DiscontinueEOS" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 2:58 AM, WalksInSilence said:

Today I was notified of an "Important" update:  KB4524752.

Checked what this small update was all about and not surprised to find it will allow to MS nag you regularly about the end of Win7 updates support in 2020.

I've marked it to Hide this update but you can bet we'll get more of this sort of thing in the coming months.

How to get KB4524752 last update catalog to install in my computer to up to date?

• 4 weeks later...

Had a nag from MS today just after boot with a warning blue screen about Win7 being out of support. Thankfully an option provided not to be reminded again.

Checked my scheduled tasks and nothing new there, all customer experience options disabled and then I noticed in the task tray that there are updates available (I'm set to auto-check for updates but choose if/when to install). So I guess they added the message to the update tasks. Hate the fact the message could just override everything else I was doing at the time and was not just made a discrete addition to the Windows updates.

Interestingly, presumably the final monthly Win7 Quality Rollup, KB4534310 is one of the updates. The other two are a .NET Framework update and the usual Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Checked the main update at MS and they have added an IMPORTANT message about the EOL:-

"IMPORTANT Starting on January 15, 2020, a full-screen notification will appear that describes the risk of continuing to use Windows 7 Service Pack 1 after it reaches end of support on January 14, 2020. The notification will remain on the screen until you interact with it. This notification will only appear on the following editions of Windows 7 Service Pack 1:

Starter.

Home Basic.

Home Premium.

Professional. If you have purchased the Extended Security Update (ESU), the notification will not appear. For more information, see How to get Extended Security Updates for eligible Windows devices and Lifecycle FAQ-Extended Security Updates.

Ultimate. 

Note The notification will not appear on domain-joined machines or machines in kiosk mode."

EDIT

Had a later update offered too: another servicing stack update:- 

2020-01 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems KB4536952.

Like the earlier two it downloaded and installed without any issues, so far.

Edited by WalksInSilence