How do we make Internet Explorer 8 into a modern-day, standards-compliant web browser?

How do we make Internet Explorer 8 into a modern-day, standards-compliant web browser with H.264 video and AAC audio? I know we need to add new code to it, such as IE9.js, jQuery, Selectivzr, Modernizr, and/or CSS3Pie.

Which of these scripts do we need? What do these scripts do the same and differently?

Do we just copy the code into an existing IE8 file, or new Notepad file? If an existing file, which? If a new file, what should we name it? Does the filename even matter? Where should the file be placed to work?

Edited by vipejc

• 1 month later...

Honestly, THIS WOULD BE A SUPER DIFFICULT TASK TO DO!

It's not as simple as just changing a small portion of code in IE 8, it would require you to write large new bits of code and you'd probably have to rewrite a good portion of the code anyways. It would be much simpler to do something like use Chromium or Firefox source code and make it look like IE 8

... or you know, we could make IE 8 compliant by making all the websites to comply to it's standards

On 11/10/2019 at 2:53 PM, tailswave said:

... or you know, we could make IE 8 compliant by making all the websites to comply to it's standards

Move the mountains rather than digging the cave so to speak, I like it. :cool:

There used to be Web Rings on various topics that a site could join by adding a footer to their pages that linked to the Next or a Random site in the ring as well as to a hub or index page for the ring. Now there are Social Media bars to register a page on popular destination sites and other site aggregators. Perhaps an IE8 web-ring hub can be created that compatible sites can link to. IE8 users could also tag any compatible sites they come across.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Getting into IE8 code is very difficult, as there is no filtered source code. But for IE5.5+, I have a proposal. Use a script in the header of the pages gathering all the pollyfills such as corejs, IE9.js, CSS3Pie, etc. And maybe an object to configure it to our liking. In this way we have modern minimum standards for the versions of IE as far as CSS and JS are concerned. HTML5 APIs already require ActiveX controls or fallbacks made in Siverlight such as players.

Would you be fine with the opposition of IE8?  Well, there is an TLS1.2 upgraded Netscape 9 out there. At least it complies to the encryption standards. Link to another thread:

On 11/10/2019 at 8:53 PM, PretzelsFox said:

make IE 8 compliant by making all the websites to comply to it's standards

Hey, the wiby.me search engine fits very well in this category. Could you please feed it all the properly made old sites that you know?

Edited by Gansangriff

10 hours ago, VistaEX said:

a modern version of ie has already been made of internet explorer it called microsoft edge:D

You mean what we (highly specialized technicians) call a lousy Chrome port? :whistle:

jaclaz

As stated in about internet explorer:

Based on NCSA Mosaic. NCSA Mosaic(TM); was developed at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Distributed under a licensing agreement with Spyglass, Inc.
Contains security software licensed from RSA Data Security Inc.
Portions of this software are based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group.
Multimedia software components, including Indeo(R); video, Indeo(R) audio, and Web Design Effects are provided by Intel Corp.
Unix version contains software licensed from Mainsoft Corporation. Copyright (c) 1998-1999 Mainsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Mainsoft is a trademark of Mainsoft Corporation.
Warning: This computer program is protected by copyright law and international treaties. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this program, or any portion of it, may result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.

myie.thumb.JPG.ea724ce154f9c059232afda992da3aa6.JPG

Well, I guess I'm going to be locked up for quite some time. I've been bad ... a very bad boy :(

EDIT:

But to tell you the truth, I really thought I had IE gone on my system - I worked hard to rid myself of it without messing everything up. Nowhere can I call up IE, but its a bit disturbing on how I managed to call up that archaic version on my computer.

Run...

%windir%\explorer.exe https://msn.com

So it goes to show it's never "truly" gone :realmad:

2ndEDIT:

Ok, so let me explain myself a bit. This morning I decided that I really needed a search shortcut for my 'quick launch'. I've already created a 'file explorer' (as you can see) which is really just nothing at all lol (takes you to my computer). So; I searched online and found a site and discovered "%windir%\explorer.exe search-ms:", and much to my surprise when IE came up, I was like ... huh?!? ... so I just messed around and changed it as above. I created that icon and pinned it just for the heck of it. 

Edited by XPerceniol