Automatic user agent spoofing in Firefox 51

Sfor

8 hours ago, mixit said:

... only the ESR versions of FF 52 have out-of-the-box support for all other NPAPI plugins. @siria 's tweak from above is needed to enable them in the "regular" 52.

I thought that was the case but wasn't sure so I didn't say anything.

Does "regular" 52 even run on XP? IIRC, XP users were "diverted" to the ESR channel as of FF 52, but I don't remember trying "regular" 52 (why bother?) so I just sort of assumed it wouldn't work.

@VistaLover posted a Javascript fix some time ago that enables SSUAO support in FF 52 ESR. Of course for that method, the "UI" is the about:config page, which isn't the most user-friendly....

I suspect that @Sfor's main problem is that his Primetime Content Decryption Module isn't working as it should be on Firefox 52 ESR.
The sites which have a problem are I suspect ones which use HTML5 video and no longer have a working Flash fallback system, so they are just throwing up errors when HTML5 fails.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

I was able to get the "Custom UserAgent String" working in the Firefox 51. The trick was to use the 0.1.6 version, instead of the current one.

The old version is a bit more difficult to use, as there is no possibility to change the order of the user-agent string rules. Also the order of rule processing is different, as the last rule has the highest priority.

The first thing I did was disabling autoupdate. The logical rule is to make a backup before updating anything. Also, I'm  keeping notes what was changed after the last backup. I can quickly bring the system back to normal, that way. Also, If something starts working wrong it is easier to find the cause. That's why I did not have to do any system reinstalls. It is much faster to restore a copy.

Let's face it. I do not believe users of the Windows XP are liking updates, in general.

Edited by Sfor

Certainly any update now carries the risk of breaking compatibility with XP!
:(
Did you check to see if YouTube is using HTML5 or Flash in FF 52?
If you'd rather now just carry on with FF 51, is everything working OK now?
:dubbio:

Why do you keep using Firefox 51? You can use @roytam1's Serpent or New Moon 28 which are more updated, support the most recent security protocols, and won't break websites as they are supported and updated. Since your computer has an SSE2 capable CPU, it should be able to run these browsers and perhaps, solving the compatibility issues that you are having with certain sites.

Regarding user agents, I use an add-on called UAControl. It lets you change the user agent per website, so if you visit a website that goes bonkers with your browser because it runs on an old version/old OS, just change the user agent to a compatible one, and it will be changed automatically on the fly, whenever you visit that site. I use Firefox 45 ESR SSE (as I have a Pentium III CPU, and so SSE only), don't have incompability issues yet (although sometimes ReCAPTCHA says I need to upgrade, but I'm going to wait for the next release of FF45 ESR SSE), but when it comes to certain sites that force me to use another user agent in order to display them correctly, I just use UAControl and call it a day. These are my two cents, of course.  :)

In my opinion, try to give a go at those two browsers, see if they satisfy your needs.

Edited by looking4awayout

FWIW, the reason I'm still sticking with FF 52 ESR at the moment is that I want to use the Mozilla Sync system to keep things like my bookmarks and passwords synchronised with my other devices, where I have FF 69 installed, like my phone and other Windows installations.
I'm not sure how compatible any of roytam's browsers are with the current Mozilla Sync system, if they are at all.
:dubbio:

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I'm not sure how compatible any of roytam's browsers are with the current Mozilla Sync system, if they are at all.

... The majority are not! Both New Moon 28 (27 too?) and Serpent 52.9.0 now use the Pale Moon Sync infrastructure (not compatible with latest Mozilla Sync :(); I recall official Basilisk was the last to switch to PMS (and this change was decided upstream, i.e. by MCP), because of incompatibilities between UXP and Mozilla Sync; I never use MozSync/PMS, so I might be wrong, but I believe Serpent 55.0.0/Moebius still has the Mozilla Sync functions left intact; if it's now still able to connect to Mozilla Sync servers is another matter, though :whistle: ( I think Mozilla have hardened their access list (client keys) to limit connection to official Mozilla apps, only...).

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

FWIW, the reason I'm still sticking with FF 52 ESR at the moment is that I want to use the Mozilla Sync system to keep things like my bookmarks and passwords synchronised with my other devices

Serpent 55 uses Mozilla Sync, so you could use that.

Serpent 52 was switched to PaleMoon's Sync some time ago, however.

Thanks, that's good to know!
:thumbup
Firefox 52 ESR is absolutely fine at the moment, but the time will come of course when it won't be, so I hope the option to switch to something more up to date on XP, and continue to use Sync with my other Firefox installations, will still be there then!
:)

On 10/4/2019 at 12:44 PM, looking4awayout said:

Why do you keep using Firefox 51? You can use @roytam1's Serpent or New Moon 28 which are more updated, support the most recent security protocols, and won't break websites as they are supported and updated. Since your computer has an SSE2 capable CPU, it should be able to run these browsers and perhaps, solving the compatibility issues that you are having with certain sites.

Well, I did a quick test of the Serpent (Basilisk) and New Moon (Pale Moon). The first problem is lack of Polish language support. I suppose I can use them by myself, but my family and clients would have a lot of problems with them.

10 hours ago, Sfor said:

Well, I did a quick test of the Serpent (Basilisk) and New Moon (Pale Moon). The first problem is lack of Polish language support. I suppose I can use them by myself, but my family and clients would have a lot of problems with them.

https://github.com/JustOff/pale-moon-localization/releases/ Pretty sure there is ;)