Moving Day

Treeman

Yes, it's that time for me. I will be downgrading one computer and building a new one. The downgraded computer will still have XP Home on it, and the new one will have XP Pro.

That means migrating all my applications and files to the new computer from the old one. ( a headache many have gone through before me)

I was wondering if anyone has tips or tricks for doing this right on the first attempt? ( I won't be using XP's migrating tools on a fresh install )

I think it should go something like this:

Format to NTFS, Install XP Pro, 3rd party drivers, (raid) try to connect to the router and update XP Pro, Install applications, copy the contents of "My Documents" folder over to the new machine.

The only sticking points for me will be tranferring OE email, 3rd. party apps. that "look" at the mac address to see if they are on the original computer, and file associations contained in the registry.

Any tips, caveats would be appreciated!

Treeman

Microsoft has built in a tool to do this for you: you can find it in : Start, Programs, Accesories, Systemtools, Wizard migrate files and settings

I don't know if the names mentioned above are completely correct, as I'm using a Dutch Windows version... But you'll know where to find it.

If you'd also like to transfer your MS Office settings, that's also possible, use the built-in help function for details.

Bashrat,

Do you use the MS utility after or before you install the applications?

I don't have much faith in MS making this easy. I just don't want to dork up a fresh install of XP.

Thanks,

Treeman