windows 10 tablet there was a problem resetting your pc

HadroLepton

i got a windows 10 tablet which is not doing well and need your help. i tried to factory reset and got this message: "there was a problem resetting your pc". i tried some of the things from the internet to no avail. i managed to get the log of the recovery process. i could not work out obvious error cause from the log. i can show you if it helps. device is still not working. reset is still not working. i hope you can help me.

i am a linux guy. i am also the family computer support guy. i used to work on dos and windows up to windows 2000 before switching to linux full time. so i have some (old) windows knowledge.

the device is this one: https://www.odys.de/web/web_lan_de_hmp_1_mp_23_an_X610129_sw_ja_manual_ja.html

it is a tablet with power button, windows button and volume buttons. also a detachable keyboard.

i got the device with following behaviour. turn on and see login screen. all well so far. after login the screen alternates between showing windows desktop and black screen once a second or so. mouse is moving but it is an hourglass most of the time. i tried to click things but they did not respond. ctrl+alt+del on the keyboard works and show a screen without flicker. task manager can be started but now again in a screen with flicker. so screen seems to be working fine. i suspect a virus or driver problems? i did not want to debug windows problem so i tought factory reset would be easier.

i searched the internet for how to boot to "recovery mode" or something like that. many did not work. the one ended up working was pressing shift while clicking to restart. ironically this needs windows to boot correctly at least once to be able to use. anyway i was now in the recovery mode and selected to reset the device. delete all data yes yes confirm and device is resetting. all is well i thought until it stoped with this message: "There Was a Problem Resetting Your PC".

now when i turn on the device it will show intel logo then odys logo then black screen and nothing. there is a detail which i find interesting: a second after the screen turned black after the odys logo there is a dotted white line on the screen which then fades to black the following second. the dotted line starts at the bottom and rises vertically about 1 cm. maybe it is a known behaviour. maybe it is nothing. i did not find anything helpful on the internet.

so now the device is practically bricked. except it is not. i can restart a couple of times and it will again boot in recovery mode. a reset will end with the same error message. i can open a command line and see files and stuff. i can go to bios (need to boot windows to go to bios. go figure...). but nothing that i found on the internet has helped me to bring windows back to life.

the restarting is a pain. the keyboard is useless. all i have to work are the few hardware buttons. practically all the guides to start recovery mode on the tablet on the internet don't work. one said to press volume up and down three times in two seconds. the only one that works is to start device and force power off three times and then recovery mode will start. starting devices requires to press power button about three seconds. then see intel and odys logo and black screen. now hold power button at least ten seconds and device will power down. except it does not always. i have to redo this press power button ten second a couple of times until device actually power off. maybe the power button is failing. maybe the device is actually doing something. i do not know. also windows recovery mode sometimes needs four or five of these cycles until it decides to show up.

the last and the most invasive things that i tried where from this website: https://windows10skill.com/solved-there-was-a-problem-resetting-your-pc-on-windows-10/

renaming directories failed because they were in use. sfc and dism either refused to start or did not recognize any of the options mentioned on the website. i have not tried the media creation tool. i worry that all the drivers for my device will be missing. the odys website do not offer any for download.

as said above i have managed to get the log of the recovery process. it is huge. there are tons of warnings and error lines. the last error line is a couple hundred lines before the end of the log. i did not manage to work out a cause of the failing of the reset process. i can post the log if you think it is helpful and safe (no personal data or something like that).

please help.

The DISM commands to check/restore health are to be run in the OS, not from the recovery command prompt.

Those things that are renamed in the instructions on that site are not directories, they are registry hives. Ref:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2823223/unable-to-refresh-or-reset-pc-after-automatic-repair-fails-in-windows

Media creator may or may not work for you. It depends on what OS is actually installed. Media Creator will work for a retail OS, and some licenses do cross to the retail SKU. If this tablet has some other type of OS, like the tablet version or other SFF version, the media creator may not work. BUT it doesn't cost anything so you can still try it if you want.

The log files in Windows 10 are such a pain, mostly because so many different ones are created. It is possible you have found the wrong one. Ref:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-log-files-and-event-logs

@HadroLepton

Which model number do you use?

There are manufacturer "Windows Image & Treiber" https://www.odyshilfe.de/treiber

Added:

It's a Bay Trail hardware. Intel dosn't support this anymore, there are Windows 8.1 drivers.
https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/de/support/articles/000006105/processors.html
The 8.1 driver works at Windows 10 1803, may work or fail at Windows 10 1903 or later.

There is a Windesk9+3G_V2_Windows_10_1803x86_FAT32.iso for the X610129 device.
There are Bay Trail drivers included in boot.wim and install.wim.
Create a USB Stick, use FAT32 filesystem. Install Windows 10.

In case if you like to use more recent 1903 x86:
There are no bay trail dirvers at a vanilla 1903 ISO, hence no internal keyboard.
Try the drivers from the Odys Windesk9+3G_V2_Windows_10_1803x86_FAT32.iso
use a USB OTG cable, a USB Hub, USB mouse and USB keyboard.
Install the Bay trail drivers, the internal keyboard works now.

Or try similar hardware.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25311/System-on-a-Chip-SOC-Driver-Package-for-STCK1A32WFC
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26693/NUCs-System-on-a-Chip-SOC-32-Bit-Driver-Package-for-Intel-NUC

Edited by cdob

thank you for the replies. they seem to be really helpful. i will try them out in the next days and report back about my success or failure.

@Tripredacus

the name of the logfile i found is SetupAct_offline.log

i got the logfile by following this website: https://foxdeploy.com/2017/03/13/solved-windows-10-reset-there-was-a-problem-resetting-your-pc/

my file was located in a slightly different folder which i do not remember now and do not want to try to start recovery mode again. the website suggested that i would be able to determine the fault from the log. but there were too many differences from the system on the website and my system. so i did not follow through the steps of the website.

@cdob

thank you for finding this link: https://www.odyshilfe.de/treiber

the website https://www.odyshilfe.de is linked from the main odys website. but then there are some prominently displayed icons and i clicked windows but then only a couple of the (presumably) newest devices were listed. so i thought my device is so old the support is already dropped. now i found the link to "treiber" (driver) in a dropdown at the top and there is this search box which list my device including download for windows installation image and drivers. this is gold. and shame on odys for not presenting this more prominently. and a bit shame on me for not finding that link.

thank you for finding that and pointing it out for me.

i have downloaded the windows image and will try to install that in the next days.

Edited by HadroLepton

A additonal hint: Windows 10 1803 home is supported up to November 12, 2019.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

I would try a clean installation with Windesk9+3G_V2_Windows_10_1803x86_FAT32.iso

And do a upgrade to 1903. 
Keep in mind: this is a automatic repair installation with preserving the user data.
Read: technically a new windows 10 1903 installation. 
The Bay Trail drivers are automatically reused from the 1803 installation.
Should work, may fail.

Be aware, with a Bay Trail CPU, 1 GB RAM and a emmc drive: 
Expect a day to do this.

1909 is arround the corner. 
This is more like a 1903 SP1: updates, not a new windows installation. 
If  1903 works well, the  1909 should work too.

• 1 month later...

thank you for all the help you have given me. sadly i cannot report success or failure because i no longer have the tablet. the owner got impatient and no longer wanted to wait for me to find time to work on his tablet.

i see no reason why the installation from the windows image should not work. sadly, in the little time i had, i didn't even got so far as to install from the image. in the end the thing which gave me most trouble was the presumably failing power button which i needed to press for many seconds repeatedly to get to where i need to be to set things up so they do what i want. and since i do not know where the settings are i needed to restart the process often. and many times where i found time and patience to work on the tablet i gave up frustrated after several times of pressing the power button and hoping the button works and not knowing whether i didn't press long enough or the button failed.

so again thank you for the help and sorry that in the end i could not give a positive report back.

and a parting message: this device main input method was the touchscreen and the keyboard. but once the software (windows) failed the only input method left was the power button. if the power button fails you have nothing. and the tablet was not build to open and replace the button. do not buy such devices. do not build such devices.

On 9/23/2019 at 3:33 PM, Tripredacus said:

The DISM commands to check/restore health are to be run in the OS, not from the recovery command prompt.

Just adding a note; you can actually run those from recovery environment. At least from my limited experience, running it from there and pointing it to a good installation as repair source (mounted WIM image) that has the same updates as problematic installation seems to be the most reliable way to achieve some actual results.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 3:12 AM, HadroLepton said:

i got a windows 10 tablet which is not doing well and need your help. i tried to factory reset and got this message: "there was a problem resetting your pc". i tried some of the things from the internet to no avail. i managed to get the log of the recovery process. i could not work out obvious error cause from the log. i can show you if it helps. device is still not working. reset is still not working. i hope you can help me.

i am a linux guy. i am also the family computer support guy. i used to work on dos and windows up to windows 2000 before switching to linux full time. so i have some (old) windows knowledge.

the device is this one: https://www.odys.de/web/k /web_lan_de_hmp_1_mp_23_an_X610129_sw_ja_manual_ja.html applinked

it is a tablet with power button, windows button and volume buttons. also a detachable keyboard.

i got the device with following behaviour. turn on and see login screen. all well so far. after login the screen alternates between showing windows desktop and black screen once a second or so. mouse is moving but it is an hourglass most of the time. i tried to click things but they did not respond. ctrl+alt+del on the keyboard works and show a screen without flicker. task manager can be started but now again in a screen with flicker. so screen seems to be working fine. i suspect a virus or driver problems? i did not want to debug windows problem so i tought factory reset would be easier.

i searched the internet for how to boot to "recovery mode" or something like that. many did not work. the one ended up working was pressing shift while clicking to restart. ironically this needs windows to boot correctly at least once to be able to use. anyway i was now in the recovery mode and selected to reset the device. delete all data yes yes confirm and device is resetting. all is well i thought until it stoped with this message: "There Was a Problem Resetting Your PC".

now when i turn on the device it will show intel logo then odys logo then black screen and nothing. there is a detail which i find interesting: a second after the screen turned black after the odys logo there is a dotted white line on the screen which then fades to black the following second. the dotted line starts at the bottom and rises vertically about 1 cm. maybe it is a known behaviour. maybe it is nothing. i did not find anything helpful on the internet.

so now the device is practically bricked. except it is not. i can restart a couple of times and it will again boot in recovery mode. a reset will end with the same error message. i can open a command line and see files and stuff. i can go to bios (need to boot windows to go to bios. go figure...). but nothing that i found on the internet has helped me to bring windows back to life.

the restarting is a pain. the keyboard is useless. all i have to work are the few hardware buttons. practically all the guides to start recovery mode on the tablet on the internet don't work. one said to press volume up and down three times in two seconds. the only one that works is to start device and force power off three times and then recovery mode will start. starting devices requires to press power button about three seconds. then see intel and odys logo and black screen. now hold power button at least ten seconds and device will power down. except it does not always. i have to redo this press power button ten second a couple of times until device actually power off. maybe the power button is failing. maybe the device is actually doing something. i do not know. also windows recovery mode sometimes needs four or five of these cycles until it decides to show up.

the last and the most invasive things that i tried where from this website: https://windows10skill.com/solved-there-was-a-problem-resetting-your-pc-on-windows-10/

renaming directories failed because they were in use. sfc and dism either refused to start or did not recognize any of the options mentioned on the website. i have not tried the media creation tool. i worry that all the drivers for my device will be missing. the odys website do not offer any for download.

as said above i have managed to get the log of the recovery process. it is huge. there are tons of warnings and error lines. the last error line is a couple hundred lines before the end of the log. i did not manage to work out a cause of the failing of the reset process. i can post the log if you think it is helpful and safe (no personal data or something like that).

please help.

Thanks for the post I had same question to ask.

Edited by walton19