OS Usage Graph

Dave-H

Of course, this video starts in September 2003 when XP overtakes 2000. :(

https://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp (data in the video is a modified version of the data on the page)

That site is visited mostly by budding web developers, which would explain why Windows 2000 has such a high market share to begin with (Google's OS market share statistics from 2003 had a market share of 19% for win2k).

The Windows NT field that appears in 2012 represents client 2000, as well as all Windows Servers and presumably pre-release Windows 8; it drops considerably in December 2012 when the Windows 8 entry is added to the table.

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

it's quite hypnotic to watch!

That it sure is! As for the data source, I must agree with @win32... and point out that w3schools presents a version of the OS market shares' evolution more flattering and palatable to Microsoft than, for instance, Netmarketshare, which indicates that Windows 8(.1) actually overtook XP around Aug 2015, half again a year later than Jan 2014, as reported by w3schools. Of course, since really accurate, "true", OS market shares cannot in fact ever be known, I, for one, do prefer Netmarketshare's estimations of them. Just my 2¢, of course! :angel

Clip2.png

MacOS and Windows 7 is only a difference of 6% and Linux is more popular than Windows 8.x?

These metrics seem a bit skewed. MacOS is tied to Apple's hardware, which means that it will be virtually impossible for it to beat Windows 7 which was pre-installed on almost everything that isn't Apple's from 2009-2015. Windows 8.x may not have caught on, but Linux is still very much a niche market outside of servers.

Netmarketshare tells us a completely different story , which further indicates this.

Edited by broken120x120
Grammar