Win7 and openGL

Youngwill

I dual boot Win10 and Linux on my Thinkpad T540p. Within Linux, I run Win7 in Virtualbox for the purpose of running some windows based CAD programs. One of those, Sketchup, when run returns a message that says it must have OpenGL 3.0 or higher. I have tried updating the drivers but, get a message that the existing driver is the best. Interestingly, when I install and run Sketchup in Win10, it works just fine. That makes me assume that the problem has something to do with Win7 but, I suppose, it could also have something to do with Virtualbox. Anyone have any suggestions?

You might ask, why don't I just run it in Win10. I use Linux most of the time and I can easily switch back and forth between it and Virtualbox when needed. I need to reboot in order to switch between Win10 and Linux. Of course, that is what I do when I have to.

2 hours ago, Youngwill said:

I run Win7 in Virtualbox for the purpose of running some windows based CAD programs. Sketchup, when run returns a message that says it must have OpenGL 3.0 or higher.

&

2 hours ago, Youngwill said:

when I install and run Sketchup in Win10, it works just fine.

Then why not install Win 10 on VirtualBox? or maybe before doing this, update the video drivers on your (virtual) win 7 install or try selecting a different virtual video card (if available, since I don't remember right now if this is possible on VirtualBox), it is the video card (dedicated or integrated into CPU) who runs/uses by means of its respective drivers OpenGL 3.0 or higher.

alacran

Edited by alacran

You may want to get GL viewer:

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Other-Programming-Files/OpenGL-Extension-Viewer.shtml

http://realtech-vr.com/admin/glview

but most likely you will get 1.1 or maybe 2.1 (provided you have guest additions properly set and installed).

It is a known issue in Virtualbox, see:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27566569/is-there-a-vm-that-i-can-do-opengl-3-with-virtualbox-and-vmware-dont

https://community.khronos.org/t/sketchup-needs-opengl/72978

It is not clear (to me at least) if something changed in very recent Virtualbox releases, but - besides the support to version 3.0 which might be still missing, I have seen here and there lots of related issues conneted to the actual Linux (and the hardware drivers used in it), user running the Virtualbox and what not.

You may want to try in your OS/hardware a VmWare VM, that should be able to run Sketchup (or more generally provide openGL 3.0):

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/sketchup-in-virtual-box-windows-10-guest/33500

jaclaz 

Thanks for all the help and advice. I can't say that I understood everything you gave me but, it appears that limitations in Virtualboc is at the root of the problem. According to the comments within the last link above, VMware Player should solve my problem. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a new virtual Windows 7 machine using VMWare. Sketchup 18 will still will not run due to Opengl not being ver 3.0 or greater. I tried inserting the line "mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = "TRUE" " into the file ~/.vmware/preferences  (as suggested in one of the above links). That didn't work either. I can only assume that the problem is Win 7. Maybe if I upgrade it to Win10??

1 hour ago, alacran said:

You could also try using the online free version of Sketchup directly on your browser (from Linux): https://www.sketchup.com/plans-and-pricing/sketchup-free

I think FireFox or Google Chrome will work fine for this.

Thanks. I have used it. I haven't yet learned to like it. All model files are stored on the Trimble cloud; no choice. However, they are downloadable able by logging onto Trimble's site. Not sure if you can work with them again after download. Also, I don't find it as easy to use. Version 16 which will run on virtual Win 7, is much better. I may be forced to stay with ver 16.

11 hours ago, Youngwill said:

I installed a new virtual Windows 7 machine using VMWare. Sketchup 18 will still will not run due to Opengl not being ver 3.0 or greater. I tried inserting the line "mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = "TRUE" " into the file ~/.vmware/preferences  (as suggested in one of the above links). That didn't work either. I can only assume that the problem is Win 7. Maybe if I upgrade it to Win10??

On the given link there are reports of success with Windows 10, but I cannot see a reason :huh: why Windows 7 wouldn't work unless *somehow* the Windows 7 install has not suitable drivers for the (virtualized) graphic card or these drivers are *somehow* missing a specific functionality. :dubbio:

Do double check the actual VMware settings and drivers *like*:

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/579259

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

5 hours ago, Youngwill said:

Using an app I downloaded from Microsoft I ran a check on Win7 drivers and it said all is up to date.

Thanks

Which is good, but only (possibly) part of the problem:

On 10/2/2019 at 2:39 PM, jaclaz said:

Do double check the actual VMware settings and drivers *like*:

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/579259

If you check that thread, it is about verifying that the VM machine settings are adequate, seemingly the "key" is:

What about the hardware compatibility setting of the VM?

Is it version 12?

Go to menu VM -> Manage -> Change hardware compatibility to check or if it is not set to 12, there should be a link that says "Upgrade hardware" (or some similar text) at the upper left just above the VM device settings of the VM tab. The version is also visible when the VM is powered off tab at the Virtual Machine details at the bottom.

jaclaz

10 hours ago, Youngwill said:

Using an app I downloaded from Microsoft I ran a check on Win7 drivers and it said all is up to date.

Did you install the VMware SVGA drivers, included in the VMware Tools?

Which graphic card is listed at device manager?

Sorry for the long delay in getting back to this. I appreciate your help.

Below are the two pages from the "dxdiag" command.

I can't give you the log file right now as I can't figure out how to configure my guest to access host files. I'll log on again from the host and add in another reply.

cdob, It appears that I am currently running in vga mode. I believe that "Tools" are installed. They are set to update automatically.. Trying to update manually indicates that they are "up to date" I don't know how to use them to change the display driver to svga. VMWare instructions are not clear on that point.

OK. I added the log file below.

Added Note:  I just noticed VMWare Pro information that states that it supports Direct x 10.1 and Opengl 3.3. Does that imply that Workstation Player does not?

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

vmware.log

Edited by Youngwill

Log says VMware Tools aren't actually installed (article with install instructions).

Relevant log entry:

2019-10-12T09:27:37.136-05:00| vmx| I125: VMXVmdb_SetToolsVersionStatus: status value set to 'notAvailable', 'noTools', install impossible

Are you sure you've triggered installation procedure? When you pick that option, installation ISO should be downloaded and mounted on the virtual CD drive and, provided you haven't disabled autoplay in Windows, you'll get a dialog with an option to run the setup program (otherwise, navigate to the setup program manually in Explorer). Then, it's just clicking next and rebooting at the end.

Afterwards, the Display tab in dxdiag should look something like this:

JcZ3fDl.png