Win7 and openGL

Youngwill

It appears that the problem was that I didn't have a virtual cd dvd set up. I added that to the options list and was then able to download and install "Tools". As you can see from the dxdiag image, the proper driver is now installed and the Windows app that needs OpenGL ver 3 is now working. Thanks.

In configuring settings for the virtual CD DVD, it is looking for a path to the .iso. I can't find where the Tools install put the .iso and I can't figure out what to put in that box.

Also, I would like to connect to a folder on the host where I put my data. How do I set that up? Again, I don't find the VMWare instructions clear.

Thanks for your help.

Capture5.PNG

Edited by Youngwill

16 hours ago, Youngwill said:

In configuring settings for the virtual CD DVD, it is looking for a path to the .iso. I can't find where the Tools install put the .iso and I can't figure out what to put in that box.

I don't know, but I'm guessing the tools ISO goes to a hidden .vmware folder in your home folder. That box takes the path to an ISO file. There is some logic in VMware that automatically ejects VMware Tools ISO after installation. If you pick the option to reinstall VMware Tools from menu, that box'll refill and you'll be able to see where it's stored.

16 hours ago, Youngwill said:

Also, I would like to connect to a folder on the host where I put my data. How do I set that up? Again, I don't find the VMWare instructions clear.

You setup the folders you'd like to share in virtual machine settings on the Options tab in the Shared Folders section. From Windows 7, you can access those folders by opening Network in Explorer, where a computer named vmware-host appears. You'll find shared folders in there. Windows might prompt you to enable network discovery when you open Network if it's disabled to be able to see anything in there.

Edited by UCyborg
Formatting

I went through the "reinstall" Tools process. It gave me the opportunity to make changes to the features installed. I did not change anything. Just clicked "next" and "finish". The .iso path in the box did not change and I cannot find any .iso files on the host system that pertain to vmware. Maybe since I didn't change anything, nothing new was actually installed. Maybe I should remove them and reinstall? Not sure that it is relevant but, the invalid path that I now have in that box cannot be changed apparently without knowing the correct path. I Even tried to delete it altogether and it is not accepted to be saved. I tried to remove the cd dvd item from the list and save. As soon as I put it back, the invalid path is still there. Maybe this is not important to solving the problem. Do I even care about having a virtual CD DVD?

I did find a .vmware folder. However, it only contains a "preferences" file that appears to contain all of the preference settings. The invalid CD DVD path setting is there. I wonder if deleting that line would blank the box? As you can tell, I know enough to get into trouble but, not how to get out of it.

If OK, lets solve the CD DVD issue. I'll deal with the shared folders later.

17 hours ago, Youngwill said:

No idea about a linux host. Yes, should be at home folder.

Or download the tools files yourself
https://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/latest/windows/index.html
It's 10.3 tools currently at ESX.

Use the Workstation Tools CD:
http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/ws/15.5.0/14665864/windows/packages/
There is .tar image, expand the file. And connect the ISO file to a virtual CD drive.

OK! All seems to be working well. I downloaded the .iso you linked me to, created a folder for it, expanded it, and was then able to browse for it and get the correct path into the box. Connecting to it in the guest works as it should.

I now have a "z" drive that is accessible by the guest.

Thanks for the help.