Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

looking4awayout

RLoew (1952 - 2019) has passed away.

6 minutes ago, rloew said:

I have found some source code, lots of it, so I know some of it isn't related to his patches. I'm going to make that stuff available too once I actually have some free time (my life was already busy before all of this). @LoneCrusader mentioned to me that he might have been using a custom compiler which I am unaware of at the moment so it may not just compile nicely. But, I've attached a few of the TRIM named files (and what look like dependencies he had) that I have. I don't know if these are the most recent or even if they are the right ones!

Wow, this is awesome! Thank you very much for this. It's certainly appreciated especially during this hard time for you.

Don't feel obligated to rush things, take all the time you need. We're all just so glad that his "presence" didn't just go cold and nobody knows what happened to him so thank you for continuing to login and update us on things. I'm hoping that you've been able to find some sort of comfort in this difficult time considering tomorrow will be a month since your dad's passing. It's still hard on some of us, myself included, but we're getting through it. I'm just sorry I never got to talk to him and know him on more of a personal level.

• Like 1

Many thanks for sharing with us. It may look he used some Borland C, I'll try to rebuild. I wonder he used a lot of inline asm code and there's no any include statement, even for <stdio.h>. Maybe he didn't even use stdlib. If I cannot rebuild it will be still usable to study the code how DMA IDE commans calls works.

UPDATE: Well, the code looks a bit cryptic but it compiles with BC++ 4.52, just to ignore tons of warnings about missing prototypes. This can be fixed easily creating a header file...

Edited by xrayer

Hi,

thanks for sharing some code with us.

would you also share the source for AHCICD as this might really benefit the DOS community.

I wasn't even aware so far this existed.

Regards

Tom

Well after thinking about it, I have come to the conclusion, that (if desired by rloew's family) I have the resources to bring rloew's site back to life.
I can update it to have current links to download his projects and stuff like that, as the web archive "sort by author" leaves a bit to be desired.

I'll only do this if rloew's family is OK with it, it's only an invitation. But with that being said I'd be more than happy to do it if desired.

:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, i430VX said:

Well after thinking about it, I have come to the conclusion, that (if desired by rloew's family) I have the resources to bring rloew's site back to life.
I can update it to have current links to download his projects and stuff like that, as the web archive "sort by author" leaves a bit to be desired.

I'll only do this if rloew's family is OK with it, it's only an invitation. But with that being said I'd be more than happy to do it if desired.

You are welcome to put something up. I just got the rloewelectronics.com domain that I'll put everything on as I sort it out. 

On 10/11/2019 at 10:48 AM, xrayer said:

Many thanks for sharing with us. It may look he used some Borland C, I'll try to rebuild. I wonder he used a lot of inline asm code and there's no any include statement, even for <stdio.h>. Maybe he didn't even use stdlib. If I cannot rebuild it will be still usable to study the code how DMA IDE commans calls works.

UPDATE: Well, the code looks a bit cryptic but it compiles with BC++ 4.52, just to ignore tons of warnings about missing prototypes. This can be fixed easily creating a header file...

Reading your post, I think he had given me a copy of Borland's Turbo C compiler at some point. It does seem like he had some sort of custom handling of his includes.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rloew said:

You are welcome to put something up. I just got the rloewelectronics.com domain that I'll put everything on as I sort it out.

Alright, that's cool! I'll also make sure to include a link to rloewelectronics.com when you get that up.

• Like 1

:angel   Well, since you kindly located the TRIM sources for @xrayer, I do have a request, too, in case you can find a little time to spare: on July the 17th, RLoew reported he had found out the SCSI commands for changing the apparent sector size of WDC external USB disks (in the thread quoted below, from the quoted post onwards)...

So, whatever source code and compiled programs related to this must be from not more than a couple of days before his initial post about it, and probably were one o the last things he worked on. I'd love to have a look on whatever you can find, either in source form, notes or test executables, in case any can be found. Sorry to bother, but it's a subject we all were just starting to pursue, and his were the 1st applicable results, so it'd be a great help to get them. Thanks in advance!  :yes:

On 10/14/2019 at 12:02 AM, rloew said:

Reading your post, I think he had given me a copy of Borland's Turbo C compiler at some point. It does seem like he had some sort of custom handling of his includes.

Aha, I just found that Borland C supported something called a precompiled headers. This should generate some extra file from *.h files that is then combined with *.c files via specific BCC command line option. It should help to speed up compilation. Maybe he used some historic slow PC for building DOS tools? If you find some free time please upload packed compiler, maybe he had placed headers and compiling batch/makefiles there. I don't hurry with it...