RLoew (1952 - 2019) has passed away.

On 4/2/2020 at 3:29 AM, jaclaz said:

Only to let you know how dinosaurs simply love green text on black background BUT they cannot see blue on black. :(

jaclaz

Funny you should mention this, it reminded me that Rudy once mentioned that I had made some DOS-scripted thing I was working on (FIX95CPU maybe..?) written less readable by changing the default color from Red to Blue..:angel

After reading your post and looking at the page for a while, I wasn't really happy with the blue (or dark purple visited links) myself.

...So, the "readability" fix is in. Just for you, jaclaz. :P

Had to dig deep back (20 years! :() into my old Starfleet Academy "Romulan" days to find a more suitable shade of blue that we used back then on our page.

On 4/2/2020 at 10:12 AM, dencorso said:

... while, amber on black is also much loved, hence a great alternative for blue on black...  :angel

Not a fan of amber myself, but it may show up somewhere later, simply for the fact that it is viewer-friendly. ;)

Thanks. that is much better.

About amber, I did have (in the good ol' days)  a Toshiba T3100 and I have to say that the amber (plasma) screen together with the (very sharp) Toshiba OEM font made it a very, very readable device.

For *some* reasons most of the images you can find of it nowadays don't make justice, they all seem a little out of focus and/or the background is too much lighted up/invasive, in reality it had a very good contrast/clearness.

Ahh, the good ol' times, when a byte was a byte and a very good text processor/edtor was q (Qedit by Semware, 46,160 bytes of sheer editing power):

https://www.pcorner.com/list/WORDP/QEDIT215.ZIP/INFO/

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

I am shocked reading this. I have been sick the last couple of years and spent little time building computers.  Last week I got back into a project that I had put on hold.  It is my second W98 4 GB computer and I had bought a second license for it.  RIP Rloew, you are a legend   and will be missed.

Loading my 2gb pentium 3 box with windows 98se is so fast its like it isn't 18 years old.

Its actually like it was manufactured yesterday.

Many thanks to the Loew family lets make this live on for the good of the environment

On 10/22/2019 at 3:54 AM, LoneCrusader said:

I have also added a couple of small projects that we had worked on that were never released. I'm dreading the writeup on WDMEX when the time comes, lol. :angel

I didnt know Rudy but I can certainly see (returning here after some years away) that he did a helluva lot towards this community and helping extend the life and usability of older OS's.

I found the quoted post when looking for WDMEX guidance. I confess the Readme.txt didnt help me a lot. The TLDR suggests WDMEX helps use 2k/XP drivers on 98 ... Would that allow me to run a more modern GPU for 98?? I can find XP drivers for a Radeon HD4850 which is about 10 years too new on 98's scale so would be great to be able to use that for a range of OS's

In fact, it cannot. But it works with many sound drivers and can replace WDMSTUB.SYS on latest versions of Maximus Decim's NUSB, too, to avoid using two different WDM function extenders together. It can help adding GPS and maybe even Wi-Fi WDM drivers, too, provided they were written for 2k. It's quite rare to get WDM drivers intended for XP to work with either WDMEX.VxD or WDMSTUB.SYS, however.

Don't know. I gave up 9x/ME some 6 years ago to focus mainly on XP SP3 (but also on 7 SP1), so I've lost touch with most of the latest developments on RLoew software. But since I didn't give up on DOS, I did acquire TRIM and AHCICD.SYS and kept in touch with Rudy from time to time. I think the one member who might know it is @LoneCrusader:yes:

• 1 month later...

i was wondering if anyone has any information / tested the MULTCORE sdk to allow dual core usage in 98/SE/ME provided by rloew, i only was able to locate the demo version but not the full package. the readme does not mention windows 95, so i assume it's not supported unless someone has tested it? 

• 2 weeks later...

Too young, somehow.

I know how it feels, sorta, too... my mum was affected by a heart attack around the same time last year, too. She's recovered mostly but isn't particularly in a good way either, there's still chances of it happening again... she's only 45, and I'd never want to lose her - my condolences go to Rudy's family, and everyone who had the chance to come across him some time in their lives. Even now, nine months late, and I just... I can't help but feel the need to say something, knowing how much he done for the community, and reading people's memoirs of him - not gonna lie, I'm dropping a few tears myself now...

There's people who are dedicated in keeping the spirit of things alive, then he took it even further. And that's what will keep going on, we'll take it onwards and keep his legacy preserved until the end of time (or at least hopefully until the maximum year Windows 9x will be able to handle...)

<3

On 5/12/2020 at 7:39 AM, Methanoid said:

I found the quoted post when looking for WDMEX guidance. I confess the Readme.txt didnt help me a lot. The TLDR suggests WDMEX helps use 2k/XP drivers on 98 ... Would that allow me to run a more modern GPU for 98?? I can find XP drivers for a Radeon HD4850 which is about 10 years too new on 98's scale so would be great to be able to use that for a range of OS's

As others pointed out, I don't think Windows 9x can use WDM graphics drivers. I read somewhere years ago that video drivers must be VXD, but I no longer remember the source.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:36 PM, MrMateczko said:

Any HD Audio drivers worked? (Realtek, Conexant, etc.)

We were able to load the HD Audio BUS driver (HDAUDBUS.SYS) that enumerates the actual HDA audio output device, but none of the actual HDA device drivers (Microsoft/Realtek/Sigmatel tested) would load, despite the fact that all required WDM functions were satisfied. Either the system would boot to the desktop and no sound was produced (MS driver on originally supported hardware), or the system would die in BSOD's and never reach the desktop (Realtek,Sigmatel). We were unable to debug these crashes.

Work was also done on loading USB3 drivers under 9x. No success here either; Rudy commented that these crashes appeared to be the result of "Initialization has already failed and the Driver is cleaning up."

On 6/16/2020 at 2:27 AM, cov3rt said:

i was wondering if anyone has any information / tested the MULTCORE sdk to allow dual core usage in 98/SE/ME provided by rloew, i only was able to locate the demo version but not the full package. the readme does not mention windows 95, so i assume it's not supported unless someone has tested it? 

From my understanding of MULTCORE, any program you wish to use it with must be compiled with "awareness" of MULTCORE in order for it to actually use multiple cores.

(i.e.; You can't just install MULTCORE to your machine and expect any program(s) to simply automatically USE multiple cores. You must have the sources for, and be able to recompile, any programs you wish to use it.)

2 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

From my understanding of MULTCORE, any program you wish to use it with must be compiled with "awareness" of MULTCORE in order for it to actually use multiple cores.

(i.e.; You can't just install MULTCORE to your machine and expect any program(s) to simply automatically USE multiple cores. You must have the sources for, and be able to recompile, any programs you wish to use it.)

so i'll take that as a yes that it will install on windows 95 and can make use of more than one core IF there is application that was made to use more than one core at a time? ( not to be confused with hyperthreading which i believe the MULTCORE SDK does not make use of / and ignores it )? for me, that would be all welcomed, as i despise hyperthreading :thumbdown. disabling it is the number 1 thing i'd do. do you know any programs that can disable it in the OS for w9x? i mean, it doesn't seem like 9x systems even notice it, but let's say there was a program that works on 9x - xp to disable hyperthreading in xp, do you think it would have any effect whatsoever on 9x or overall, maybe less heat and less power consumption, because the cpu isn't doing something else for no reason? 

1 hour ago, cov3rt said:

so i'll take that as a yes that it will install on windows 95 and can make use of more than one core IF there is application that was made to use more than one core at a time? ( not to be confused with hyperthreading which i believe the MULTCORE SDK does not make use of / and ignores it )? for me, that would be all welcomed, as i despise hyperthreading :thumbdown. disabling it is the number 1 thing i'd do. do you know any programs that can disable it in the OS for w9x? i mean, it doesn't seem like 9x systems even notice it, but let's say there was a program that works on 9x - xp to disable hyperthreading in xp, do you think it would have any effect whatsoever on 9x or overall, maybe less heat and less power consumption, because the cpu isn't doing something else for no reason? 

I believe you may have assumed more from my reply than was intended.

I have NOT used MULTCORE, nor do I have a copy unfortunately. It may or may not work with Windows 95; it is most likely untested in that environment unless Rudy made any tests in the past few years (most of his software was originally designed with only 98/ME in mind; only after I became closer to him and began helping test and debug things [and requesting 95 support specifically] did he spend much time on 95).

Let me also clarify; any "application" you wish to use in this context would have to actually be compiled !WITH! the MULTCORE SDK. An application generically designed to use multiple processors, say on a later NT-based OS, will NOT use multiple processors under 9x without being REcompiled MULTCORE-aware.

AFAIK, MULTCORE is a unique 9x-specific implementation, NOT a 9x-port of some existing NT capability.

I've never had any issues whatsoever with HyperThreading. Never had to disable it to make 9x run either.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry I was unable to relpy sooner.

RLoew, You have done a great service keeping win ME(9X) alive with your ram patch, and various other programs.  I think I speak for the community in general when I say, R.I.P, and your work will be sorely missed.  Thank you for all your help, and rest well wherever you are now.