I need help choosing a new motherboard and processor

Windows 2000

Hello everyone. As the title says, I am looking for a new and modern motherboard and processor that can run Windows XP. Should I go with team red or team blue (Intel or AMD)?

The only problem is that money is a bit tight and I would appreciate if it is possible to invest less than 500 euros (around 600$) on both the motherboard and processor combined.

If there are any confirmed working and stable processor and motherboard combos within that price range I would really appreciate it if someone lets me know.

Thanks in advance.

If you can go with Team Red I'd recommend it from the security angle; as I understand it, AMD is not as vulnerable to Spectre/Meltdown as Intel's CPUs are.

My own options were pretty limited with XP64 (not that I'm complaining, the new Broadwell-E setup is a major upgrade from my Kentsfield) but you should have better luck with XP32.

From this thread I had posted observations made by people at Guru3D as to what post-EOL hardware is still XP-friendly. Though it's a Team Blue option, GIGABYTE's Z370s are observed to work without ACPI and that, generally, XP has been tested and found to work on the Z370s. This one's going for $120, and you should be able to find a CPU in the LGA1151 socket that would fit your budget.

From that thread, @Dietmar found concrete evidence that XP can work on AMD's Ryzen line. Specifically, ASRock's Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 motherboard, with a little tweaking. From what I understand AMD worked in some backward/forward compatibility with the Ryzen line and so you can use newer-generation Ryzen CPUs with the older sockets to an extent. You'd need to verify whether that's the case for that socket though.

As an addition to what TrevMUN said, if youre going to get any BSOD related to acpi.sys (even if you don't, it is still worth replacing the file), make sure you slipstream the relevant acpi.sys mod, which can be found here. The link also contains a generic USB 3.0 driver. Here are the instructions on replacing this file in the installation medium.

On 9/20/2019 at 2:54 PM, TrevMUN said:

From that thread, @Dietmar found concrete evidence that XP can work on AMD's Ryzen line. Specifically, ASRock's Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 motherboard, with a little tweaking. From what I understand AMD worked in some backward/forward compatibility with the Ryzen line and so you can use newer-generation Ryzen CPUs with the older sockets to an extent. You'd need to verify whether that's the case for that socket though.

I would personally prefer going to team red but I have a couple of concerns as first of all, I can't really find this motherboard new anymore and secondly, my processor of choice if I were to go team red would be the Ryzen 5 3600 which is quite a bit newer than the Ryzen 1700 used in this topic so I can't really be sure if it will work.

On 9/20/2019 at 4:26 PM, IntMD said:

As an addition to what TrevMUN said, if youre going to get any BSOD related to acpi.sys (even if you don't, it is still worth replacing the file), make sure you slipstream the relevant acpi.sys mod, which can be found here. The link also contains a generic USB 3.0 driver. Here are the instructions on replacing this file in the installation medium.

That will be incredibly useful in the very near future, thank you.

Edited by Windows 2000

Okay, I've decided that I'm going with team red with their Ryzen 5 3600 unless there are any known issues regarding the temperature and load of that the ryzen series on XP. If anyone can recommend me a few AM4 motherboards that are tested and compatible with this os and can still be found brand new, it would be really appreciated! :thumbup

Edited by Windows 2000