Need some help with windows 98 hardware setup hanging at 14 minutes.

Nic9x

Ive been thinking of many ways how to get it working again, tried to install with graphics card alone and it had before working fine with all my stuff inserted to it, its an old pentium slot 1 asus p2b, 1 stick of 512 sd-ram, any thoughts on what could be issue?

Huh, tried some bios changes and it seemed to sort of help out, the setting up hardware stops at 11 mintues instead, has anyone here figured what that situation is?

and it went black screen.

Edited by Nic9x

i did shrink down the memory and its a rather period correct windows 98 machine, updated its bios to the latest, so it can hold large drives fine, its having a riva tnt 2 ultra 32 mb, sound blaster awe 64, 3com internet card, unfortanly dont have any other windows 98 ready graphics card the confusing thing about this are that setup worked fine for years and used it, but now its not working at all,
another update after trying again, it gives a garbled graphics screen after trying to do the 3 finger salut,

Edited by Nic9x

the only thing i have are this modern 550 wat power supply, other wise am stuck with what i have,  aint to lucky in getting older hardware in this part of the world am living.

the most odd feature about it there was floppy drive plugs and some molex connector's. but ill try flash a different bios update to it.

On 9/18/2019 at 10:05 AM, Nic9x said:

....unfortanly dont have any other windows 98 ready graphics card the confusing thing about this are that setup worked fine for years and used it, but now its not working at all,
another update after trying again, it gives a garbled graphics screen after trying to do the 3 finger salut,

Are you sure it's not the monitor?

Graphics cards don't last forever. I have had two fail on me over the years, one a TNT2 32 MB, and an ATI in a laptop which was replaceable. Try that with modern laptops. In each case the graphics card had one last gasp before dying altogether. I had two CRT monitors fail on me as well as two LCD monitors.

A lot of Pentium 4 boards supported 98SE and ME and came with onboard graphics as well as with an AGP slot. Maybe easier for you to come by than an AGP graphics card.

1 hour ago, antiproton said:

It's not the end of the world, a lot of things are fixable.

Sure but de-soldering (and re-soldering, or better resoldering adequately) a BIOS chip is not something that should be advised, it is of course doable but not exactly easy-peasy.

Here is a video using a "test clip" (no need to solder/desolder):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y06x1f22B0

jaclaz