how to make my own shell32.dll....

diesel_98a

• 4 weeks later...

sory, but i`m a little confused. so if i`m changing icons with object dock, then i can`t put it in to cd?

and about shell32.dll: maybe the changed file should be in $OEM$ folder, then it would be changed correctly?

Thank You, i am new in all this

sory, but i`m a little confused. so if i`m changing icons with object dock, then i can`t put it in to cd?

and about shell32.dll: maybe the changed file should be in $OEM$ folder, then it would be changed correctly?

Thank You, i am new in all this

Just replace the Shell32.dl_ in the XPCD\i386 Folder

Here is a cmd that will makecab the shell32.dll in %Systemdrive%\windows\system32, then checks

If this folder exist %systemdrive%\ShellFiles if it not there then it makes the folder, then moves the

makecab shell32.DL_ to %systemdrive%\ShellFiles

echo off && CLS && mode 65, 5 && color f1

:: Where It Goes To

set C2=%systemdrive%\ShellFiles

:: Where It Came From

set C1=%systemdrive%\Windows\System32

cd %C1%\

makecab %C1%\shell32.dll

echo Part 1 Done!

ping -n 2 127.0.0.1>nul

If not exist %C2% MD %C2%

move %C1%\shell32.dl_ %C2%

set /P = Process I hope Is Done? Press key To Close!

• 1 month later...
Use Icon Package Explorer. That way you can copy shell32.dll to your desktop from c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll and then edit the files that are in there. You can add or delete files however you wish by right clicking. Enjoy.

http://www.stardock.com/products/iconpackager/

How do I obtain a modified shell32.dll from this? IconPackager seems to leave the shell32.dll untouched. The program remembers the paths of the icon files seemingly. Can someone clarify or help me on this? I have set my icons up how I want them via IconPackager, and I want to take this modification and put it into a modified shell32.dll to put on my UA cd. Thanks in advance..

• 9 months later...

any one help me ......

i have done al those steps

get all ur icons in a folder together then open shell32.dll with resource hacker, then goto action>replace icon. then simple find the file u want to replace and then click open file with new icon and browse to the icon u wish to use. once u have replaced all the icons u want.just save the file.

now how to put that modified shell32.dll file in system it cant be done it shows message plz change the name of the file . so what i did i change the name off original shell ones and then only i was able to moved it from the windows directory .

But still i cant delete it as its shows " this file is in use" .

after restarting my pc i was able to delete it and what i found that the icons where changed :D then i tried to change more icons little greedy :whistle: . But now when i restarted all gone back to those default icons :(

Now plz say what to do i mean plz say the method step by step

any one help me ......

after restarting my pc i was able to delete it and what i found that the icons where changed :D then i tried to change more icons little greedy :whistle: . But now when i restarted all gone back to those default icons :(

Now plz say what to do i mean plz say the method step by step

Windows will not use the modded shell32.dll because it will appear invalid. Instead it will automatically replace the "reshacked" dll with the correct one from its backup C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache (unless you disabled Windows File Protection (WFP)). It now has a new checksum values from our edit with resource hacker, and this new checksum value will not match the value stored inside of the file.

We have to update this checksum inside of this PE (Packed Executable) file, and use ModifyPE with it's -c switch, to recalculate the checksum and store it so that the file does not appear to be corrupt to Windows.

At command prompt type:

modifype shell32.dll -c

Use modifype after editing the file, and/or right before using or compressing it (for new installation).

@prithvi:

1. ModifyPE your "reshacked" shell32.dll
  2. Delete the backup shell32.dll at C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache (so that windows will not recover from the "true" backup)
  3. Copy your "reshacked" shell32.dll into C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache (the new backup)
  4. Use your own technique in replacing C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
  5. Enjoy... :D

Hey mau-yong thanks buddy it works atlast :thumbup

specially due to urs 2 method "Delete the backup shell32.dll"

so here the final steps/methods , after this sure no one will have any prob :D

@prithvi:
  1. ModifyPE your "reshacked" shell32.dll
  2. Delete the backup shell32.dll at C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache (so that windows will not recover from the "true" backup)
  3. Copy your "reshacked" shell32.dll into C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache (the new backup)
  4. Use your own technique in replacing C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
  5. Enjoy... :D

after replaceing urs shell file plz restart or better shutdown urs pc and then restart

:yes: :yes:

• 3 months later...

I have readed this topic several times.

But still unclear

What I have: custom full_uacd with ryan update pack integrated and custom shell32.dll cabed to shell32.dl_ and placed in my uacd. Windows file protection on my uacd disabled.

What I want: that after installation my custom uacd shell32.dll will be in windows\system32 UNCHANGED by update pack and without any additional actions form user since it is unattended installation.

If such it is possible ?

Edited by by_rom

• 3 years later...

Can anyone help me with my problem.

I repeat : I edited shell32.dll with my favorite icons then makecab-it and then put it on my Ua CD in i386 and after ive tested the XP, no icons changes, still the default icons.

I'm really p***ed off because of this, anyone says that they customize their shell32.dll the makecabit and then they put it on their Uacd and it works for them.

Whats wrong ?

Srry for my eng, i need hlp plss

disable your windows file protection before trying to edit system file or ur file will keep backing up to original...

• 10 months later...

The best ways to change your shell32.dll icons is to download 2 simple programs: Resource hacker ( to open and modify your system default file, and then to replace icons with your own), and the second one is replacer ( a program that replaces the shell32.dll default with your modified one, it creates automatically a backup of your original shell32.dll and repleces it with your own. you can see changes after first restart or more restarts, or if this doesn't work, go to task manager and kill process for explorer.exe and then reopen it, it should chage your icons, depending on how many icons you've changed)

Hope you get the idea... it's easy no time consuming, no disk space (both programs have less than 10 Mb)...

Happy shell hacking :D:thumbup

Edited by mkiop