how to make my own shell32.dll....

diesel_98a

how to make my own shell32.dll or whatever u what to call it. i tried doing some searches on msfn forum site & on microsofts site but nothing. what i want to do is to create my own .dll where i have my own icons in it that would just be added to my unattened cd, then if i wanted to change icons i would direct it to my new dll. or would it be easier just to copy winxp shell32 and remove everthing i don't need. all i want is to have the icons in it.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, but what file do i need to makecab, because ive copied the shell32.dll from my sytem32, i opened it with reshack, and no icons are changed, i think that icon packager has some kind of shell, and when you unnistall it the xp shell32.dll became active and the defaut icons are aplied.

Srry for my eng

get all ur icons in a folder together then open shell32.dll with resource hacker, then goto action>replace icon. then simple find the file u want to replace and then click open file with new icon and browse to the icon u wish to use. once u have replaced all the icons u want.just save the file. it will create a backup of the original just incase.

PS : Gunsmokingman, what theme is that screenshot of cause it looks very smart.

Edited by ScubaSteve

Can anyone help me with my problem.

I repeat : I edited shell32.dll with my favorite icons then makecab-it and then put it on my Ua CD in i386 and after ive tested the XP, no icons changes, still the default icons.

I'm really p***ed off because of this, anyone says that they customize their shell32.dll the makecabit and then they put it on their Uacd and it works for them.

Whats wrong ?

Srry for my eng, i need hlp plss

If you are adding updates to the XP CD then there are some that

will change the shell32.dll back to Microsoft shell32.dll

Where are you editing the shell32.dll, because if you try and

change it here \windows\system32\ then nothing will stay.

You have to move the shell32 or any files you plan on changing

to a folder outside of Windows.

Edited by gunsmokingman