Win 95/98 activation code not recognized

otmike

Doncha  hate when you skip a post cause ya don't need it, discover you DO need it, and can't find it again. Someone posted an OS edit that will allow loading Win98 and bypass the code request. I have Win98 upgrade that won't recognize my activation key. ARRRGG!

Edited by LoneCrusader
more appropriate title

It sounds as if the "product type" ("SKU" in the more recent Windows versions) of your copy of the upgrade does not match the product type of the key you have. Are you certain they were bundled together?

I'm assuming you have a valid, legal Product Key for your Win98 upgrade in this situation. You can find the information you want here, but it is intended for research and informational purposes, not as a means to circumvent licensing requirements. Otherwise this discussion cannot continue; we cannot promote "bypassing" licensing requirements, even for such an old system. Just keep this in mind for any further discussion. :)

Edited by LoneCrusader

There were two types of upgrade CD's for Win98. A retail upgrade and an OEM upgrade. The retail upgrades were available from retailers and the OEM upgrades were available from your computer manufacturer. The retail upgrades came with retail upgrade keys. The OEM upgrades used ordinary OEM keys. The two key types were not interchangeable. Make sure your key is for the right CD.

From memory the retail upgrade was designated a Type 102 install and the OEM upgrade was designated a Type 116 install. The installations were functionally the same.

Then there was the 98 to 98SE Step Up which was classed as a Type 112 install. Win 98FE had to be installed to updated to 98SE.

understand...never thought I'd use the old 98 again, but have a need to resurrect a couple old midi programs. thanks antiproton, went back thru the junk box, and yes the disk is an upgrade, code OEM, found the code, now if I can get it to recognize the Gina soundcard, I'll be in business ;-)