Halo Master Chief Collection doesn't work, needs a windows update.

victor21841bn

Yeah today was opened the beta for people who subscribed to it. I installed it on my W7 SP1 x64 machine but there is a function missing on the ADVAPI32.DLL, specifically EventSetInformation, so the game will just show up and error and won't work. As far as i know, this function was introduced with windows 8, so the good news is that i tried the game with W8.1 x64 and it worked well. At least we won't have to touch the crappy W10.

I tried replacing the advapi32.dll with one from windows 8 RTM x64 but the computer didn't wanted to boot up. Does any of you know any workaround for this? Thanks.

I've opened also a thread on the halo insider forum, but they probably will tell me to install windows 10 because windows 7 is insecure... and you know...

PS: This is the error that shows up in w7. It's on spanish because my pc is:

advapi.png

Thanks in advance.

Edited by victor21841bn

Hi again, iv'e been lurking on the official forum, and a guy seem to have the same problem. One guy said that a windows update fixed the missing function error.

The thing is, which exact KB update includes this funcion fix? I don't feel confident on enabling windows update because microsoft pulled telemetry updates also for windows 7, so i'd prefer installing the update manually.

Any help is appreciated. note: title of the thread edited

solution.png

Edited by victor21841bn

Found it, it's KB 3080149. The only bad thing is this update includes telemetry. As far as this page says:

https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-10/how-turn-telemetry-windows-7-8-and-windows-10

Disabling the telemetry service is the only thing they say. do you think it is enough if i wanted to disable ALL telemetry?

thanks in advance

22 hours ago, victor21841bn said:

I tried replacing the advapi32.dll with one from windows 8 RTM x64 but the computer didn't wanted to boot up.

When it comes to system files from newer OSes, especially when dealing with running a program below requirements, this is not the recommended thing. Rather, to put such files into the working directory of the exe... with the hopes that the developers were lazy and did not specify a custom search order or use an absolute path. Then in the chance this trick works, it may be enough to allow the program to run.

And since such an effort is a blind try, there is no guarantee that the program will work properly or be error free.