Bizarre problem with Print Screen in Windows XP

Professor Frink

This may not seem like the right forum for this problem, but I am asking for a reg tweak to fix the problem, so I guess it's OK.

Anyway, "ALT-Print Screen" seem to work just fine with capturing the active window. But when I just hit the "Print Screen" button, it doesn't just give me the whole screen as it should, as you can see here:

print_screen1.JPG

For some reason it gives me a split view with my wallpaper. What the heck? And if I go to my desktop and hit "Print Screen", it does the same thing:

print_screen2.JPG

So it does it within different windows, and it does it with different paste methods (both Paint and Word). What is wrong, and how can I apply a tweak to fix it?

Please help!!

:)

LOL! Looks like your computer thinks you have dual monitors. I don't know how to fix it. I've never had dual monitors  :) but at least I have you in the right direction...

Thanks, MavereX, that was it! This PC (Dell Optiplex GX110) has onboard video, but I use a PCI video card. But the onboard video isn't technically disabled. Dell Optiplex's (at least the GX110 model) don't allow you to disable the onboard video in the BIOS. All you can do is make the video card the primary.

I don't ever remember this happening in Windows 2000, just with my new XP setup. The fix was going into the display properties and unchecking the box for video 2 saying "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor."

Is there some way to incorporate something into my unattended install to either:

1. Keep that box unchecked

2. Disable the onboard video in Device Manager

?

Hopefully I can automate this somehow, because I plan to run this unattended install on about 200 PCs.