Someone make updated IE8 'addon'?

shorterxp

Please

I am unfamiliar with add on creation and I'm sure someone inclined in this can do it on 'no time' or that someone may be interested in such a pack.

Scope of objective

(Assume target system is an offline one; has automatic updates components disabled/removed).
At present, people should have to do the following to a clean XP Pro SP2 Source:
-Add official SP3
-Add XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack (Post SP3 addon, available at RyanVM.com)
-Add XPSP3 QFE_POSReady (Official updates additional to/since the above pack, until 17/09/2018, the last time QFE_POSReady was maintained)
AFAIK this is the correct integration order (using nlite).

Lastly, for IE8 functionality:
-Add community-made IE8 add on

The most recent community IE8 add on is this one - last edited 2014.
However microsoft has released IE8-related (POS2009) updates since then.

ie8-mui-x86-enu.exe < may be included in 2014 pack
ie8-windowsxp-kb2598845-x86-enu.exe < is included in 2014 pack
ie8-windowsxp-kb2888505-x86-enu.exe < is included in 2014 pack
ie8-windowsxp-kb4493435-x86-embedded-enu.exe < cumulative update released 2019, not included
ie8-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe < browser installer

This 2014 addon needs to be updated to include new updates - kb4493435 is not in XPSP3 QFE_POSReady.
Can anyone make a new update pack comprising this latest cumulative update?

Background
A non-IE8 related kb4019276 is included in XPSP3 QFE POSReady - it enables TLS system wide; manual import of registry keys is necessary to enable it fully (details on RyanVM). Ability for visual tick boxes was added in cumulative IE8 update kb4316682 (30/5/2018), later superseded by kb4493435 (5/4/2019), that shown above. All IE8 addon packs to date lack this update.

Even though I'm not interested in IE8 (I use superior k-meleon which has its own TLS ecryption tunnel integral) the tick boxes in Internet Options (in XP control panel) enables explicit control of TLS system-wide, which some XP programs do require control of. Registry key import is more hassle.
Test: using nlite, successively Integrate IE8 + subsequently remove IE8. The only way to enable visual tick boxes is to install XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack + XPSP3 QFE_POSReady + (updated) IE8 addon.

************* EDIT / UPDATE:

On a test install I managed to get the boxes to show even w/o IE8 installed.
untitled.png
To achieve this, here are Hotfixes that were manually added (with nlite):

ie8-mui-x86-enu.exe
ie8-windowsxp-kb2598845-x86-enu.exe
ie8-windowsxp-kb2888505-x86-enu.exe
ie8-windowsxp-kb4493435-x86-embedded-enu.exe

Off topic: An observation re: XPSP3 QFE POSReady (last updated 17/09/2018). Its missing minor updates, for example:
SSE related kb4473077 (7/12/2018) which superseded kb4463361 (5/10/2018).
Windows Installer related KB4486464 (3/2/2019) eclipsed kb4340937 (10/8/2018).
New kb4500331 (7/12/2018) isn't included either.

I've already asked the creator of QFE updates about this minor quarrel (redident of RyanVM).

Note: throughout this post date fromat is DD/MM/YYYY, contrary to MS Update catalogue MM/DD/YYYY.

Edited by shorterxp

Thanks for reply!

Observations regarding DXUPAC:

Usage Example 1

When one selects under "Choose the programs you want to create": WindowsXP Post-SP3 Update Pack
"Update Pack" appears under "Choose AddOn Type".
Input: 68mb of files
Output: 13.1mb xxxxxx.7z file.
(I guess, 7z is compatible with RyanVM Inegrator/ nlite.)
sp3.png

Usage Example 2:

When one selects "Choose the programs you want to create": Internet Explorer 8
Three different addOn Type options become available: True Addon, SVCPack and RunOnceEx.

1. RunOnceEx; doesn't output anything but I ignore because (I guess) this option is to make silent installers to run at RunOnce stage upon completion of unattended setup and I'm not interested in this.

2. True Addon selected: Input is same 68mb of files
Output: IE8-True-Addon.7z (11.5mb)

3. SVCPack selected: Input is same 68mb of files
Output: IE8-Svcpack.7z (13.1mb)
ie8.png < three options

One observable difference between 7z ouputs is layout inside archives (many individual files); Post-SP3-UpdatePAck.7z layout is same as to IE8-True-Addon.7z, but IE8-Svcpack.7z only has executable, nested within a folder "SVCPACK".

So what delineates addon "types"? For novice user / newcomer to the addon world, none of this is explained anywhere - users have to hunt for clues across numerous threads/forums. A simple concise  guide is lacking IMO.

Back to OP, ultimate end goal is a more comprehensive / up-to-date IE8 addon pack.

Edited by shorterxp

I recomend you to create a folder next to dxupac.exe wit name: english, italian or russian and use it like output folder. try to use 8:3 names in folder and patch c:\dxupax\english c:\dxupax\enu no blank spaces or simbols.

Disable active security software and internet

Create addon separates: IE8 addon files alone, xp hotfixes alone. dont create/mix a big addon with all. dont mix hotfixes languages

For IE8 you only need 3 files: setup, compatibility list and cumulative update

if you want to add certificates (roots) download the 2 files from ryanvm forum and just copy then next to the hotfixes, dxupack add the files automatically

I always choose true-addon. is the most clean-safe way. the new files replace the olders in cd.

Edited by sukistackhouse
edit

Hi thanks

On 8/26/2019 at 1:03 AM, sukistackhouse said:

Disable active security software and internet

Where is this?

For IE8 you only need 3 files: setup, compatibility list and cumulative update

What is compatibility list? is it a kb hotfix?

if you want to add certificates (roots) download the 2 files from ryanvm forum and just copy then next to the hotfixes, dxupack add the files automatically [...]
I always choose true-addon. is the most clean-safe way. the new files replace the olders in cd.

OK Thanks for the Tip(s).

• 2 weeks later...

I have made and tested (integrated using nlite) with successful results.

Link to IE8 True addon 2019 updated: https://onedrive.live.com/download?cid=4F57DE3C0CDC9403&resid=4F57DE3C0CDC9403!852&authkey=AL16QOpqNUGezig

Files in pack:
IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe
IE8-MUI-x86-enu.exe
ie8-windowsxp-kb2598845-x86-enu.exe
ie8-windowsxp-kb2888505-x86-enu.exe
ie8-windowsxp-kb4493435-x86-embedded-enu.exe

Not sure if embedded updates should be kept seperate or not? Everything seems to work.
Note: the embedded updates work with the  POS2009 registry 'hack'.

Edited by shorterxp

Nice to see all went well building the addon, embedded updates for IE8 is ok. just dont forget that last Cumulative update is non-sse -Requiere Pentium 4 cpus. Maybe you would like to try rvmi integrator, is a very good software only for integration not remove components https://ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10332#p134141

KB2936068 replaces KB2925418 april 14, 2014
so KB2936068 is the last Windows XP update for IE8
KB2964358 (IE addon) may 15, 2014 out of band update

the posready update supersedes the XP updates, DXUpack must just select the most recent files if you check the files date in your addon must be this way. I think add XPs updates in the IE8 addon is not necesary. Please correct me if i wrong

Hotfixes cHistory changelog.rar

Edited by sukistackhouse

Just now, sukistackhouse said:

Nice to see all went well building the addon, embedded updates for IE8 is ok. just dont forget that last Cumulative update is non-sse -Requiere Pentium 4 cpus. Maybe you would like to try rvmi integrator, is a very good software only for integration not remove components https://ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10332#p134141

KB2936068 replaces KB2925418 april 14, 2014
so KB2936068 is the last Windows XP update for IE8
KB2964358 (IE addon) may 15, 2014 out of band update

the posready update supersedes the XP updates, DXUpack must just select the most recent files if you check the files date in your addon must be this way. I think add XPs updates in the IE8 addon is not necesary. Please correct me if i wrong

note: attached file is a html file translated by google saved win firefox addon

Hotfixes cHistory changelog.rar 158.95 kB · 0 downloads

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...