Win8.1 64bit EFI PRO to Win 10 upgrade error 0x80070003

ruthan

Hello,
i want to upgrade existing installation of Win 8 64bit to Win 10 with upgrade assistant i always get error 0x8007003, shortly after start of step check you computer if is ready to run Windows 10.

I found zillion of contradicting destriptions of this error and lots of paid sure it will help utilities. Its possible somehow this check skip or has someone knowledge that this error really means, i hoped that is connected with my Linux etc partitions, so i deleted them for next run, but its still the same error..

Best thing is that, you have to next try redownload again and installation files, that is flawed by the design and its only time steal.. 

Edited by ruthan

In C:\Windows\Panther\NewOs\Panther\setuperr.. is see some EFI stuff:
2019-08-16 14:34:22, Error                 MOUPG  CSetupHost::Execute(375): Result = 0x800705BB
2019-08-16 14:34:24, Error                 CONX   ConX::Compatibility::CSystemAbstraction::HostIsUEFIDiskLayout: Failed to retrieve system partition NT path.
2019-08-16 14:34:24, Error                 CONX   CHostIsUEFICompliantChecker failed. [Failed to check whether host has UEFI disk layout.] HRESULT = 0x80070003
2019-08-16 14:34:24, Error                 CONX   ConX::Compatibility::CSystemAbstraction::GetSystemVolumeNtPath: Failed to retrieve system partition NT path.
2019-08-16 14:34:24, Error                 CONX   CFreeSystemPartitionDiskSpaceChecker failed. [Failed to retrieve system volume NT path.] HRESULT = 0x80070003
2019-08-16 14:34:24, Error                 CONX   ConX::Compatibility::CCompatibilityHost::SetScanResult: Compat scan from provider wsc:setup: failed. HRESULT = 0x80070003
2019-08-16 14:34:24, Error                 CONX   Windows::Compat::Appraiser::Utilities::VerifySignatureRecursive (3336):   Failed to verify trust on file certificate, did not match 0: [-2146762749].[gle=0x800b0003]
2019-08-16 14:34:24, Error                 CONX   Windows::Compat::Appraiser::Utilities::DownloadAndExtractCab (3879):   Failed verify cab signature: [0x800b0003].[gle=0x800b0003]

Its stupid that such thing is not checker at the start of install.. Regardless did my boot possible with HasLeo UEFI, because i failed after clover and grub removal, but something is not good enough for MS, what i have to do?

As everytime that error code is very general, i could try to fix dism and windows update etc.. hinted stuff in tutorials for aeons..

Edited by ruthan

Maybe, just maybe, the (stupid) MS tool wants a "canonical" setup, complete with the MSR partition (ad possibly the mysterious second recovery partition)? :dubbio:

Or maybe it is the order of the partitions that affect the result, but I doubt it.

You posted a screenshot of a tool I am not familiar with, normally the "boot" EFI partition shoudln't be a "GPT (Data Partiton)" but rather a "ESP", of course every tool will call it slightly differently, but it is entirely possible that the GUID/type of that FAT32 volume is not correct (that would be an error that might lead to "Failed to retrieve system partition NT path" (remember that MS calls System what anyone else calls boot and viceversa).

Check the actual GUID of that partition, it must be 2C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B", see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFI_system_partition

jaclaz

I posted it to my partition thread:

But i did it by MS way and recreated EFI partition from booted OS and it seems to worked, but thing that my installation process would already fail in this phase (now im sure, but it doesnt means that it will not fail again on other error, keep fingers (Christ) crossed:)), so its something special / stupid and canonical and for sure not necessary at all.. 

Its funny web / gui developer move some element bad way, make stupid workflow everyone see the error and its fixed usually quickly.. but these close source OS developers how almost nobody really understand it are doing lots of bad and very strange things.. and its only complicating very users life.

Edited by ruthan

Because i now reinstallating, i now its Windows 10 first boot i process.. I can confirm that Paragon has Parition GUID - through partiion and propeties.

Minitool tool - has it under - Partition, Propeties - Partition info.

So i dont have to use Gdisk which if im not wrong its only cmd based.. im using it only as part of Windows 98 drivers back disks.

4 minutes ago, ruthan said:

So i dont have to use Gdisk which if im not wrong its only cmd based.. im using it only as part of Windows 98 drivers back disks.

Yes, gdisk is command line only, but I wonder what would be its use in the context of "Windows 98 drivers back disks" :w00t:, you must be talking of "another" gdisk.

jaclaz

16 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Yes, gdisk is command line only, but I wonder what would be its use in the context of "Windows 98 drivers back disks" :w00t:, you must be talking of "another" gdisk.

jaclaz

It is there beside Partition Magic 8 for Dos and others.

3 hours ago, ruthan said:

It is there beside Partition Magic 8 for Dos and others.

No, it is not, if you have a program running on DOS/Windows 9x/Me it is likely ANOTHER program that is  also called gdisk, most probably a software dated 1999 or so from Symantec.

Rod Smith's gdisk (which is what I suggested you) first Windows version is 2010 and first versions actually usable by end users is circa 2013m current version is 1.04 dated 05 July 2018:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/files/latest/download

jaclaz