Is there a *real* fix for GUI blinking/flickering issues?

UCyborg

Some programs' GUI, like LatencyMon, flicker like crazy when the desktop background changes if Automatically pick an accent color from my background option is enabled. Same programs don't exhibit issues on Windows 8 under equal circumstances.

Also the taskbar is bugged and the icons randomly blink. I haven't figured out a pattern, but I often notice it when opening some program's save/open file dialog.

Using Windows 10 1809 Build 17763.615. Last time I tried 1903 in a VM, nothing was improved in that regard.

Edited by UCyborg

• 2 months later...

I've found that disabling most of the "gee whiz" new features tends to make Windows more pleasant to use.

That being said, my Taskbar on my v1903 system now flickers when I type into the Open Shell search box.  Sigh.

My icons go to weird places intermittently about every month or so when I connect into a multi-monitor system from another multi-monitor system with the same monitor layout.

Aero Glass just goes away after a week or two and that ugly flat stupid Windows look returns.  Aero Glass has to be reinstalled.  I presume it's being scrubbed out of the system by Microsoft in the name of "security". 

What hare-brain came up with the idea that stuff has to get worse and more irritating to use as time goes on? 

-Noel

17 hours ago, NoelC said:

I've found that disabling most of the "gee whiz" new features tends to make Windows more pleasant to use.

That auto-colorization thingy appeared in Windows 8, so it's not exactly new, more like 7 years old! Knowing MS, they might fix it in the next 6 years and break something else at the same time.

17 hours ago, NoelC said:

Aero Glass just goes away after a week or two and that ugly flat stupid Windows look returns.  Aero Glass has to be reinstalled.  I presume it's being scrubbed out of the system by Microsoft in the name of "security".

Are you sure it's not just aerohost.exe shutting down because its dwm.exe crash counter reached certain threshold? At least that's probably the case assuming that problem with DWM crashing with Aero Glass loaded when user session ends still exists in 1903.

I've added another trigger for Aero Glass task in Task Scheduler that runs aerohost.exe on every login if it's not running yet. I haven't got to a desktop without glassy window frames since, though I see that aerohost.exe hasn't been running for as long as Windows has.

566Xl8C.png

• 1 month later...

Pretty much since I cut the legs out from under the Microsoft security suite (using WinAero Tweaker) I've stopped seeing Aero Glass getting trashed.

And no, I don't think it's a crash count disablement thing.  Windows Reliability doesn't show failures, and I'm not accumulating mini dumps.

-Noel