Windows Vista is slow for no reason

Jaguarek62

Hi,

First i need to clarify, that i'm Windows Vista diehard. I can forgive pretty much anything so i can use my favorite os. One thing really bother me though. Vista is seeking the harddrive for no reason. Superfetch is turned off, indexing service is turned off NO ANTIVIRUS INSTALLED. Updated all the way even with server 2008 updates. HD TUNE shows that "SYSTEM" process has red over 40gb in 1 hour. After like 2 hours of me just letting the laptop sit on desktop everything calms down and i can use my computer. What could it be?

My laptop specs:

i5-3340m

8gb ram

500 gb 7 200rpm hdd

intel hd graphics.

Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 6:40 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Disk Defragmenter default schedule is Weekly. If you open Windows Update and click "Check for updates," does that trigger the issue? (If yes, I will have further questions about your update history.)

Are you still using VMware against your own recommendation?

No, i'm not. Idk what is causing my issue. But it still persist. I'm no longer shutting down the laptop and only using sleep or hibernation which seems to work, but every time i restart i need to wait like for an hour. My guess is sort of incompatible sound drivers. They are available for windows 7,8,8.1, but still installs on vista. if i disable sound service vista is responding normally..

On 8/26/2019 at 10:26 AM, Jaguarek62 said:

No, i'm not. Idk what is causing my issue. But it still persist. I'm no longer shutting down the laptop and only using sleep or hibernation which seems to work, but every time i restart i need to wait like for an hour. My guess is sort of incompatible sound drivers. They are available for windows 7,8,8.1, but still installs on vista. if i disable sound service vista is responding normally..

What sound card/chip are you using?

Are you certain that no drivers exist for Windows Vista? If you're trying to get the drivers from your OEM (HP, Dell, etc) instead of the actual chipset manufacturer (Realtek, VIA, etc) then try getting them directly from the chipset manufacturer instead.

You can also try using Snappy Driver installer to download and install the drivers automatically; although the name may sound fishy, this is a legitimate piece of software that makes installing the drivers much easier and I've used it myself on many occasions; it continues to support Windows XP and Vista. Download here.

Edited by WinClient5270

54 minutes ago, WinClient5270 said:

What sound card/chip are you using?

Are you certain that no drivers exist for Windows Vista? If you're trying to get the drivers from your OEM (HP, Dell, etc) instead of the actual chipset manufacturer (Realtek, VIA, etc) then try getting them directly from the chipset manufacturer instead.

You can also try using Snappy Driver installer to download and install the drivers automatically; although the name may sound fishy, this is a legitimate piece of software that makes installing the drivers much easier and I've used it myself on many occasions; it continues to support Windows XP and Vista. Download here.

I'd recommend using Snappy Driver Installer Origin over the regular one, which is made by former contributing dev and buildmaster. The Origin version continues the open-source nature - due to the controversies over sdi-tool (packaging adware and hidden third-party software; shady handover of project leadership), this was made. When it comes to SDIO, I recommend not installing the drivers of it, but rather view as information of what the latest drivers are and where in the driverpack can be found, download the relevant driver pack and install it either by setup (assuming the are no driverbloatware) or manually (by devmgmt). Of course this goes without saying to judge whether the offered driver is relevant and legitimate and if it does fit the system.

That said, it is best to wait until OP delivers the info of the soundcard and the chip, then we can determine if the manufacturer offers drivers for Vista.

Edited by IntMD

On 8/27/2019 at 10:20 PM, IntMD said:

I'd recommend using Snappy Driver Installer Origin over the regular one, which is made by former contributing dev and buildmaster. The Origin version continues the open-source nature - due to the controversies over sdi-tool (packaging adware and hidden third-party software; shady handover of project leadership), this was made. When it comes to SDIO, I recommend not installing the drivers of it, but rather view as information of what the latest drivers are and where in the driverpack can be found, download the relevant driver pack and install it either by setup (assuming the are no driverbloatware) or manually (by devmgmt). Of course this goes without saying to judge whether the offered driver is relevant and legitimate and if it does fit the system.

That said, it is best to wait until OP delivers the info of the soundcard and the chip, then we can determine if the manufacturer offers drivers for Vista.

Well, it is a laptop (Dell latitude e6330) with i5-3340m. i could not find any compatible drivers. Snappy drivers installed some other driver, but the Behavior is completely the same.

• 1 month later...

the Dell Latitude E6330 laptop use IDT High Definition Audio Cocec drivers (IDT audio chip listed is 92HD93) - check the Audio section of the Latitude E6330 downloads page from Dell's web site

btw, IDT sold off their PC audio products to Tempo Semiconductor Inc by end of year 2013 (they got out of the AC97/HDA audio business since they can't keep up with other audio chipset makers like Realtek & VIA)

Edited by erpdude8