Roblox is ending support for Windows Vista/XP

Windows Vista

Roblox is ending support for Windows Vista™ and Windows® XP! Is there any way to bring back an older version of Roblox after it ends support for Vista and XP like people did with steam because i don't want to have to upgrade to Windows® 7+ just to play a game... 

Edited by Windows Vista

Ahoy there! This topic would probably attract more attention in MSFN's Windows XP forum. Perhaps @dencorso would consider relocating it? XP has a larger community with more hackers. Your thread could use the Roblox link Support for Windows XP and Vista ending soon. Sorry, but I'm not a gamer myself.

17 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Your thread could use the Roblox link Support for Windows XP and Vista ending soon.

... And I'm so tired :realmad: reading that same ol' mantra there:

These operating systems are outdated and unsupported by Microsoft, which means they no longer receive security patches. Furthermore, it’s becoming more and more difficult to support these operating systems ourselves, and by ending compatibility for XP and Vista we can devote more resources to improving the platform for the rest of our players and developers.

As if they (third party software developers) would give one nickel whether someone's setup is secure or not; what is the underlying truth inside this PR talk is that Microsoft themselves make it gradually impossible for third party software developers to target older OSes with their (M$'s) updated Windows SDKs!

Windows XP and Vista computers make up only a very small percentage of users worldwide

... and it always comes down to that! :angry:

Win7 will soon reach End of Extended Support, hence it'll also be "outdated and unsupported by Microsoft", with no more "security patches"; what is their stance on Win7? 

We have no current plans to end support for Windows 7. It’s still very popular, and so unofficially, I would say it’s not likely to happen any time soon. We even have a rendering engineer who refuses to upgrade to Windows 10…

Security reasons my... behind! :P

Edited by VistaLover

I think it was the right choice for ROBLOX to end support for XP and Vista, The average ROBLOX player (which are mostly kids and early teens) plays the game on Mobile, or Windows 7, 8.1 or 10, or rarely XBOX ONE

There doesn't seem to be any other way to play ROBLOX, Finobe, a old revival with a community that reminds me a lot of a forum's "random" category, doesn't seem to be compatible with XP and Raymonf doesn't want to...

At least Minecraft should work with the old launcher.

On 8/9/2019 at 4:08 PM, Windows Vista said:

is there any way to bring back an older version of Roblox

Yeah, but they will not be able to play the games, Unless if it's a revival.

Edited by Gamerappa

It has occurred to me that the reason why a developer would go the route of stopping their program from launching on XP (rather than saying, it might not work properly from version x going forward) is that the companies are taking this step for data integrity. In other words, allowing people to run on an unsupported OS would mean that an exploit could be used in that scenario that they would not be able to mitigate. Shutting the door is the only way they can think of.

its more sad in Vista's case in my opinion

because Vista was the os that changed windows 

it introduced desktop manager, wddm driver support and a new memory management model

also Windows Vista and Windows 7 are far more similar under the hood than Vista and XP are

The best you can hope for is to use Application Verifier on the desktop client to fake Windows 7 once it starts to block XP/Vista.

However, they may take the opportunity to recompile it with dependencies on DX 11.1 (Windows 8 and up, partially backported to 7) or other Windows 7-specific functions. You may still have a glimmer of hope in the former case, if these DX 11.1-specific libraries can be copied over to Vista with no dependency issues, as that's what happened to later iterations of DX9 with so-called XP-exclusive components; they work in Windows 2000 even without the extended kernel.

All I can say is, keep your copy of dependency walker handy.

Edited by win32

On 8/11/2019 at 10:22 AM, VistaLover said:

As if they (third party software developers) would give one nickel whether someone's setup is secure or not; what is the underlying truth inside this PR talk is that Microsoft themselves make it gradually impossible for third party software developers to target older OSes with their (M$'s) updated Windows SDKs!

Bingo. Rangarok Online had this issue last month, Gravity KR's developers lost the ability to support XP due to newer SDKs. They're using some stopgap to provide XP compatibility for iRO in the meantime, but iRO is also years behind in content. So, who can say how long that compatibility will last.

16 hours ago, win32 said:

The best you can hope for is to use Application Verifier on the desktop client to fake Windows 7 once it starts to block XP/Vista.

However, they may take the opportunity to recompile it with dependencies on DX 11.1 (Windows 8 and up, partially backported to 7) or other Windows 7-specific functions. You may still have a glimmer of hope in the former case, if these DX 11.1-specific libraries can be copied over to Vista with no dependency issues, as that's what happened to later iterations of DX9 with so-called XP-exclusive components; they work in Windows 2000 even without the extended kernel.

All I can say is, keep your copy of dependency walker handy.

This is an interesting solution! I'll have to look into this. Do we have a thread on which programs can continue to run under XP using Application Verifier? Might be useful.

Edited by TrevMUN

That was directed more towards the Vista users (especially if they dump DX9), though if they stick with DX9 (or use DX10/11 in a way wined3d can handle), application verifier or fcwin2k may work (caveat being W7-dependent functions of course).

I did mention two such programs in the "last software for XP thread".

Roblox is ending support for Windows Vista™ and Windows® XP! Is there any way to bring back an older version of Roblox after it ends support for Vista and XP like people did with steam because i don't want to have to upgrade to Windows® 7+ just to play a game... 

On 8/11/2019 at 1:40 AM, Vistapocalypse said:

Ahoy there! This topic would probably attract more attention in MSFN's Windows XP forum. Perhaps @dencorso would consider relocating it? XP has a larger community with more hackers. Your thread could use the Roblox link Support for Windows XP and Vista ending soon. Sorry, but I'm not a gamer myself.

i've now posted what i've said on the Windows XP forums, so people there will also be aware of it!

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/support-for-windows-xp-and-vista-ending-soon/325496

Edited by Windows Vista

10 hours ago, Windows Vista said:

i've now posted what i've said on the Windows XP forums, so people there will also be aware of it!

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/support-for-windows-xp-and-vista-ending-soon/325496

There was no need to do that, because your original thread has already been migrated to the XP subforum, as per @Vistapocalypse's request!

Windows XP forums:

https://msfn.org/board/forum/34-windows-xp/

Your original thread (this one - migrated from the Vista subforum):

Roblox is ending support for Windows Vista/XP =>

https://msfn.org/board/topic/179888-roblox-is-ending-support-for-windows-vistaxp/

Your newly started, duplicate, thread:

Roblox is shortly ending support for Windows XP and Windows Vista =>

https://msfn.org/board/topic/179953-roblox-is-shortly-ending-support-for-windows-xp-and-windows-vista/

@dencorso, I am indeed sorry to trouble you, but I'm afraid additional housecleaning is in order! :D

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: This method has recently obtained noticeable popularity, and seeing the troubles of other users and more confusing methods on places such as YouTube, I thought it might be a good idea to revise and clarify this a little. Despite the fact that the damage has already been done, perhaps people who come across this topic can be helped.

HOW TO FIX ROBLOX ON WINDOWS XP, VISTA, SERVER 2003, and SERVER 2008.

I realize this topic is a few days old, but it is now August 30th which means we can see what this actually means. I'm actually quite surprised that they have continued support for this long, but like most companies, have finally fallen to the wrath of Microsoft. Anyway, I have not really played Roblox in years, but I decided to see what could be done for XP and Vista players now that support has officially ended.

Open launching a game we greeted with this error message. This is the same usual crap that is endlessly spewed about and of course depends on your definition of 'secure'. I wouldn't really consider the inescapable mass data collection in Windows 10 'secure' either.

eEisw03.png

Moving past this, download your favorite Hex editor. I choose Hex Workshop, but it really does not matter.

You can find Roblox's installation folder by simply right-clicking on the Roblox shortcut and selecting 'Find target' (On Vista, it is called "open file location"). On my installation it was installed in the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSER\Local Settings\Application Data\Roblox\Versions\CLIENTVERSIONHERE

If for some reason you cannot find Roblox's installation directory, simply re-download the RobloxPlayerLauncher by clicking the "Download and install Roblox" website prompt after the client gives you the unsupported error. In fact, I recommend this even if you can find the directory because some users reported problems while editing the launcher found within the directory.

Open your Hex Editor. (The following instructions will assume you have HexWorkshop, but it should be a similar process no matter what you use.

Open 'RobloxLauncher.exe' in your Hex Editor. You can simply drag-and-drop the RobloxPlayerLauncher into your editor, or click the open file button and find it yourself (wherever you saved the launcher to, for example: Downloads).

Next, press ctrl key and then 'F'

You should see a search dialog box appear. There should be an option for what you want to search for, select "text string" in the drop down.

Search for the text string "XpVistaDeprecationLevel".

It should now be highlighted.

Next, right click on the selection and press 'Fill'.

There should be a prompt asking what you want to replace the data with. Simply type '0' into the field.

When your done it should become something like this:

cLzIkTk.png

Now try launching RobloxPlayer again...

The client should have updated successfully, now go to the website and play a game:

adORzkc.png

Roblox is now once again working on XP, Server 2003, 2008, and Vista! I'm not sure how long this will work for, if what they say is true, dependencies will become a problematic in the future. Hope this helps you and other players who are having this same problem!

Edited by broken120x120
Clarification