Clone and switch HDDs in my XP results in BSOD

glnz

Just spent most of the day cloning my old hard drive in my XP machine to a newer although slightly used one, but when I boot from the "new" one, I get BSODs.  So I put the old one back in and can boot OK.

The old one (currently running) is a 488GB Seagate ST95005620AS, which is also known as a Maxtor Hybrid HDD+SSD.  The "new" one is a classic 500GB WD5000AAKX, which had worked fine in another machine.  Before I did the clone, I wiped the WD and formatted it for NTFS.  I did the clone with Macrium Reflect 7.2 running on a bootable USB stick, and I had the clone do a "Verify".

The WD clone would start booting and after the black XP screen with a progress bar would trigger a BSOD.  When I retried in Safe Mode, I saw the drivers load (the vertical list of drivers in white letters against a black background) so I know the machine was able to read the drivers off the WD clone,  But again a BSOD.  Rebooting into "Last known good configuration" did not help, and I also could not boot into Safe Mode Command Prompt.

I was too dumb to mark down the BSOD stop code.

I also F12 booted into BIOS and turned off Keyboard Errors - no help.

Any fast ideas?

Thanks.

No.

If the system loads there are no issues with the active partition.

The actual (good ;)) question is how (EXACTLY) the disk was cloned (IF it was actually cloned)?

Point being that NO TWO clones can be connected to a WINNT system at the same time.

The sheer moment two disks with the same disk signature are connected at the same time to a NT system the disk signature ot one of the two will be changed.

The one with the changed signature won't boot, because the OS cannot (in a nutshell) "find itself".

There are two possible solutions (depending on the use of the "clone"):

1) set the changed disk signature back to the old one [1]
2) set the references in the Registry to the new disk signature [2] or remove them and let the system recreate them [3]

The relevant Registry key for #2 is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Each value in it referring to a volume or to a drive letter residing on a "hard disk like" device is a hex value made of:

Disk Signature+Offset to the beginning of the partition, EXAMPLE:

59 AE 59 AE 00 7E 00 00 00 00 00 00 

Please note how the values are - as usual - reversed, the Disk Signature value in the Registry is in the same order as it is written to the MBR @offset 440 decimal but the actual disk signature value is AE 59 AE 59 as seen in a number of tools.

the 00 7E 00 00 00 00 00 00 is 0x07E00, i,e, 32,256, aka 63 sectors by 512 bytes=32,256

jaclaz

[1] this assumes that the "original" will NEVER be connected again at the same time as the "Clone"

[2] which is a bit complex, doable but needs some time and attention, particularly if there are many volumes 

[3] this may change the drive letter assignment of volumes that were not auto-assigned previously

[4] both [2] and [3] above (but it is rare) may cause issues with programs that use the Disk Signature for some form of verification

SEE EDIT AT END

Vistaboy and jaclaz -- thank you both.  I might have to re-clone and try again, but I'm fairly sure the clone's partitions were the same "active" or not as the original.

Also, I did not have both drives plugged in at the same time with normal Windows running.  For this clone, the Macrium Reflect is on a bootable USB stick in Win PE, and so normal Windows XP was not running while the clone was made and verified.  Before starting the machine into the bootable USB Macrium, I powered down, removed the CD-DVD drive, attached the "new" WD HDD to the CD-DVD drive's SATA cables and then booted into the USB stick.  The PE environment Macrium found both disks, the original with its partitions and the new one blank, so it was easy to run the clone.  After the Verify, I shut off the PC completely, removed the original Maxtor Hybrid HDD+SSD and put the new clone (on the WD HDD) in its place, using the original's SATA cables, and put the CD-DVD drive back.  Then booted up and got the BSODs.  (However, similar steps worked when I cloned HDDs in my separate dual-booting Win 7+10 machine, using a similar USB stick, that one with Macrium 64-bit.)

One thing occurs - again inspired by jaclaz's info:

In the Macrium 7 clone advanced settings, there is an option for Enable SSD Trim, whose default was on.  I left it on.  Now, my original HD+SSD is a Maxtor MomentusXT (a hybrid HD+SSD), and I do NOT know whether it was aligned with Trim because (I recall from a long time ago) this model Hybrid maybe did NOT require 4K alignment.  So maybe, for the clone onto a non-hybrid WD HDD, I should have turned Enable SSD Trim off?

FYI - I never looked at that registry key before.  It has 47 Reg Binary lines!  \DosDevices\C: has the value  80 61 02 00 00 00 30 0a 14 00 00 00   A few other of those 47 lines have the same value.  But I don't want to touch this key.

Anyway, further thoughts?

EDIT - Right now, on my original Maxtor MomentusXT (hybrid HD+SSD) disk running XP, the "Cluster Size" is 4 KB.  So maybe my surmise above is incorrect.

Edited by glnz

Here's the report in Macrium Reflect of yesterday's clone operation.  See anything interesting? 

Clone ID - 0E5A6DCD71DB7A7A

Dismounting drives

Starting Clone - 03 August 2019 19:11

Source Disk:MBR Disk 2 [00026180] - ST95005620AS SD28 <465.76 GB>

Geometry:60801\0\63

BPB:255\63\512

Destination Disk:Disk 1 [0F540C63] - WDC WD5000AAKX-75U6AA0 20.01H20 <465.76 GB>

Clone Type:Intelligent sector copy

Verify:Y

Delta:N

SSD Trim:Y

Operation 1 of 4

Copy Partition:3 - DellUtility

Hidden DOS FAT16 (big) 7.7 MB / 78.4 MB

Destination:

Start Sector:64

End Sector:160,649

Partition Type:Logical

Processing:\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1

Clone completed successfully

Operation 2 of 4

Copy Partition:4 -

Hidden NTFS 72.61 GB / 80.00 GB

Destination:

Start Sector:161,729

End Sector:167,927,444

Partition Type:Logical

Checking file system

Processing:\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1

Operation 3 of 4

Copy Partition:1 - (D:)

16-bit FAT 8.4 MB / 86.3 MB

Destination:

Start Sector:167,927,808

End Sector:168,104,459

Partition Type:Primary

Processing:\\?\Volume{237f2cc9-b665-11e9-9a78-806e6f6e6963}

Operation 4 of 4

Copy Partition:2 - (C:)

NTFS 171.86 GB / 385.60 GB

Destination:

Start Sector:168,105,984

End Sector:976,768,062

Partition Type:Active

Checking file system

Processing:\\?\Volume{237f2cca-b665-11e9-9a78-806e6f6e6963}

Writing partition table

Copying MBR and track 0

Writing Master Boot Record (MBR)

BCD Update - No data updated

Registry Update - Offline hive found

Registry Update - RegSetValueEx Success

Registry Update - Success

Clone completed in 01:24:15

I/O Performance:Read 1.2 Gb/s - Write 1.2 Gb/s

Macrium Reflect v7.2.4325 - 55-D8VM-CR2K-HHX8-G4SN-EX1X-G9G7GG9

Well, the WinPE is still a Windows NT.

And you still have to check the disk signature on BOTH disks, one at the time, and check the given Registry key on both (again one at the time).

Mind you, it is perfectly possible that the program you used takes care of the possible issue, but:

Source Disk:MBR Disk 2 [00026180] - ST95005620AS SD28 <465.76 GB>

vs.:

Destination Disk:Disk 1 [0F540C63] - WDC WD5000AAKX-75U6AA0 20.01H20 <465.76 GB>

might be the disk signatures.

As a matter of fact this:

\DosDevices\C: has the value  80 61 02 00 00 00 30 0a 14 00 00 00 

Plainly means:

"assign the C: drive letter to the volume that is residing on the disk with signature 00026180 starting at offset 0x140A300000, i.e.  86070263808, i.e. LBA 168105984"

the latter being strangely similar to the lines in the log:

Copy Partition:2 - (C:)

NTFS 171.86 GB / 385.60 GB

Destination:

Start Sector:168,105,984

IF this:

Copying MBR and track 0

had been (hypothetical):

Copying MBR and track 0

Please disconnect souurce disk and press *any* key

Ok, writing original Disk Signature to destination disk

I would personally have been more convinced that it operated along the previously detailed #1 approach.

The:

Registry Update - Offline hive found

might mean that instead the previosly detailed #2 approach has been used.

But you'll never know until you check.

Now, be nice, open a disk viewer editor and check the Disk Signature on both disks (again with them connected one at  the time) or boot from USB to grub4dos and in it issue:

cat --hex --skip=440 --length=4 (hd1)0+1

(hd1) in the above is assuming that you have only one disk besides the USB stick you booted from that should be (hd0)

jaclaz

P.S.: cluster size is an attribute of the filesystem, it has NOTHING to do with the issue at hand.

Edited by jaclaz