Download links for all Vista SP2 32-bit and 64-bit updates from Windows Update

daniel_k

Since you are not actually using the Download Links that are the topic of this thread, I think @dencorso or another administrator should split your personal updating adventures into a separate thread.

2 hours ago, Boss said:

The only thing is I must know at what MS Catalog Update I must stop downloading & installing. As per the details given in above posts/replies, it seems April -May 2019 updates before KB4499180 shall be the last to keep the machine as 6.0.6002.

That is incorrect! If you aren’t bothered by Server 2008 updates as long as the build number is 6002, then March 2019 updates are the last. April 2019 updates are the first to change the build number.

Hi Vistapocalypse, SIW2 & Daniel_k,

That was good information. I had kept my Vista Starter 32 bit machine updated well within 6.0.6002 always till on exactly August 1, 2020 the Graphic Card Driver crashed and I could not do system restore but had to go for re-install. And yes WU earlier did pick up .net frameworks updates (long time before OS crash) and came with root certificate error 800B109 and since I could not find any solution at that time, I had to set all 10 .net framework updates from April 2017 or so as hidden so that they don't repeatedly pop-in to WU. 

Yes it has been quite an adventure. I depend on readymade solutions but sometimes I like to do it myself to gain confidence on machine, OS and myself and that leaves me with great appreciation for those who helped me. I understand it becomes extra work for all in forum. But in the process it clears many things that a user like me is supposed to know.

Starter List was used to download from MS Update Catalog MANUALLY in msu format as I am uncomfortable with using cab files for installation in Vista.

Its time for me to attempt re-install of Vista Starter 32 bit. Wish me Good luck and Good Bye!

Edited by Boss
Summarized to the point to conclude

17 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Since you are not actually using the Download Links that are the topic of this thread, I think @dencorso or another administrator should split your personal updating adventures into a separate thread.

@Vistapocalypse
Just the latest 3 posts (yours included) or earlier material, too? If the latter, a post list is required... 
In any case, give me a proper thread title and I'll split the thread gladly.   :yes:

• 1 year later...
On 9/8/2020 at 1:08 AM, daniel_k said:

Just finished testing my fully updated install of Vista Ultimate x64, including build 6003 updates from Aug 2020:
Vista6003x64.thumb.jpg.89d5458210d33831c0c683cad7e43d69.jpg

It seems that Microsoft fixed the timer issue, as seen above.
Unfortunately, there are still random issues, specially with UAC prompts: permissions are not properly granted. Even so, it's clearly much more stable.

Hi , could you please tell me which updates did you install exactly ? Because I have a Kaby-Lake system and updates did it even worse for me. UAC is off .

Thanks !

Hi coderun / D.Draker:

Before this August 2019 thread is locked, just note that greenhillmaniac's 08-Aug-2020 post in their thread Windows Vista Update Repository (until April 2017+) has a link to their MEGA.nz repository of 32-bit and 64-bit Vista updates, and the link to that repository was still working when I checked today. Also see SIW2's 02-Dec-2021 instructions in post # 3186 of Vista ISO Download in the VistaForums for instructions for using the Dism++ utility to patch 32-bit and 64-bit Vista SP2 installations back to end of support (11-Apr-2017).  I believe that Dism++ utility is still working even though Microsoft deactivated their Windows Update servers for Win XP and Vista on 03-Aug-2020.

The last time I checked in December 2021 users performing a clean reinstall of Vista were still able to re-activate their license using the slui.exe 4 method in Step 2 / Option 2 of Brink's tutorial How to Activate Vista Normally and by Phone Activation in the VistaForums.

D.Draker:

Since you specifically mention Kaby Lake I'd suggest reading Will Vista Work on Kaby Lake? and Compatible Hardware with Windows Vista.  I'm not certain but I recall reading that Vista will not run correctly on machines with 7th gen Kaby Lake processors.