Download links for all Vista SP2 32-bit and 64-bit updates from Windows Update

daniel_k

30 minutes ago, Boss said:

...Despite of this my PC is getting Windows Update error  80244019. Upon checking Win Update log I get to see GetConfig Failure, Soap Client Error=10, HTTP status code = 404. I had also tried the Speedup Updates before attempting to install all the updates from MAIN folder. So far so good. How to proceed ahead? What is GetConfig failure?

Welcome to MSFN. Windows Update is never going to work again and might as well be disabled, “Speedup” updates are no longer relevant: Windows Update SHA-1 based endpoints discontinued for older Windows devices.

6 hours ago, Boss said:

Hi Daniel,

I attempted a clean install of Vista Starter- 32 Bit  SP2 on Sept 5, 2020 and proceeded to update it by installing updates from MAIN Folder (all 3 batches) and .NET Fr  Folders. It all got installed except 11 updates that returned with - Not Applicable for your system.

For Starter, some updates won't install, as some features are not supported, such as Dreamscene and other Ultimate extras.

Just finished testing my fully updated install of Vista Ultimate x64, including build 6003 updates from Aug 2020:
Vista6003x64.thumb.jpg.89d5458210d33831c0c683cad7e43d69.jpg

It seems that Microsoft fixed the timer issue, as seen above.
Unfortunately, there are still random issues, specially with UAC prompts: permissions are not properly granted. Even so, it's clearly much more stable.

Edited by daniel_k

On 9/7/2020 at 6:13 PM, Boss said:

I attempted a clean install of Vista Starter- 32 Bit  SP2 on Sept 5, 2020 and proceeded to update it by installing updates from MAIN Folder (all 3 batches) and .NET Fr  Folders. It all got installed except 11 updates that returned with - Not Applicable for your system.

I used windowspatchloader http://www.satloader.net/WindowsPatchLoader_v1.1.3.zip

to make a list of download links from Vista Starter which had just been installed, then updated via WU. Might be useful to somebody.

There is file listed in the csv and the text with a .psf extension ( windowspatchloader gets stuck trying to download that one )

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/updt/2008/04/windows6.0-kb937286-x86-en-us_3b802969583d81edab326fcb29273d4416d4beb6.psf

starter-final.zip

Edited by SIW2

Hi SIW2,

That was a great tip. I was in the process of sorting and downloading each update manually from MS- update- catalog after SP2 release date.

But what I get to see while downloading from the PatchLoader tool is that it downloads are in .cab format

All in all I wonder how to proceed after downloading all the updates in .cab by running the tool on my PC?

I am unable to visit the Homepage of the tool - something blocks the browser. Please guide. THANKS.

Edited by Boss
Spell check & cut short to the point

Just now, SIW2 said:

You can import the .csv file into windowspatchloader. Then it will only download what is in the list.

wpl-import1.jpg

wpl-import2.jpg

Kinda off topic, but are you using some sort of theme? The caption buttons look a little odd, and I can't figure out why.

The "INTEGRATE" function is for integrating updates into install.wim

Cab files can be installed into a running system with a couple of commands in a batch file. There are a couple of suggestions on the thread below.

The exe files such as ie9 and nf35 can be run manually.

Attached are the lists for the 64 bit editions, which I created in the same way.

Vistax64-dl-links.zip

Edited by SIW2

After importing the starter-final.csv file it displays only the updates that are in the csv file.

Untick the KB937286    .psf  ( it is number 145 in the Starter list it displays ) , because wpl gets stuck trying to download that one.

Then click download.

wpl-import3b.jpg

Edited by SIW2

Hi SIW2,

I had downloaded 358 Vista Updates (excluding Vista SP1 and SP2) via WindowsPatchLoader without following any readymade list.

Out of 358 Updates, DISM++ was successful in installing 290 Updates, 40 Updates were Not Applicable and 28 Updates FAILED.

There was a mention of Root Certificate chain error - 800B0109.

If I am right, it must be in connection with .Net Framework updates or perhaps due to my installing 4 Speedup Updates beforehand.

Moreover, I did not see any updates reflecting in "Installed Updates" of PC but a lot many restore points got created.

Then I found something terrible, the machine build had changed from 6.0.6002 (Vista) to 6.0.6003 (2008 Server SP2).

I had always maintained my PC as Vista (6.0.6002) machine.

I have gone terribly wrong somewhere in picking up the updates. I doubt some server update got into the Update list.

I plan to re-install Vista Starter- 32 bit once again and again till it is 6.0.6002 and no Win Update error 800244019 appears and Win Update only shows a green tick with No new Update available or System is Up to date.

Edited by Boss
added detail - no readymade list followed - and cut-short to point

4 hours ago, Boss said:

....There was a mention of Root Certificate chain error - 800B0109.  If I am right, it must be in connection with .Net Framework updates or perhaps due to my installing 4 Speedup Updates beforehand....

... I plan to re-install Vista Starter- 32 bit once again and again till it is 6.0.6002 and no Win Update error 800244019 appears and Win Update only shows a green tick with No new Update available or System is Up to date....

Hi Boss:

I suspect your 800B0109 is related to a known issue with KB4014984 (Security and Quality Rollup for NET. Framework 2.0, 3.0, 4.5.2, 4.6 on Windows Vista SP2 and Server 2008 SP2: April 11, 2017) that started around March 2020. The workaround below is posted in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum.  Once the MicrosoftRootCertificateAuthority2011.cer file is applied you can download the .msu standalone installer from the Microsoft Update Catalog at https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=vista KB4014984 (use the x86 installer for 32-bit Vista), save it to your desktop, and double-click to run the installer.

**** EDIT as of April 2020:  Since March 2020 multiple users performing a clean reinstall of their Vista SP2 OS have reported that Windows Update can throw an error 800B0109 ("A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider") while trying to install KB4014984 (Security and Quality Rollup for NET. Framework 2.0, 3.0, 4.5.2, 4.6 on Windows Vista SP2 and Server 2008 SP2: April 11, 2017).  To fix this error, download the MicrosoftRootCertificateAuthority2011.cer file from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=747875&clcid=0x409 and save it to the root C:\ directory of your computer (i.e.., so the location is C:\MicrosoftRootCertificateAuthority2011.cer), open an elevated command prompt with Administrator rights, and enter the command certutil -addstore "Root" "C:\MicrosoftRootCertificateAuthority2011.cer" to apply the required trust certificate. See the MS support article Known Issue for Security Update 3136000 for the .NET Framework 4.6.1/4.6 and Security Update 3135996 for the .NET Framework 4.5.2 in Windows Vista SP2... for more information.  Kudos to greenhillmaniac for posting about this fix in his 06-Apr-2020 post in the MSFN thread Certificate Trust Provider Error Installing Updates. ****

The 24-Jun-2020 Microsoft support article Windows Update SHA-1 Based Endpoints Discontinued for Older Windows Devices that Vistapocalypse mentioned <above> notes that error 80244019 (The device cannot connect to Windows Update) is one of the expected errors Win XP and Vista users will see if they try to run Windows Updates after 03-Aug-2020.  There's nothing you can do to fix this error and, as Vistapocalypse noted, adding Dalai's 4 or 5 "speed up" patches will no longer fix Windows Update.  See the section titled ***** IMPORTANT NOTICE as of August 3, 2020 ***** in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum for further details.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

7 hours ago, Boss said:

Out of 358 Updates, DISM++ was successful in installing 290 Updates...

Then I found something terrible, the machine build had changed from 6.0.6002 (Vista) to 6.0.6003 (2008 Server SP2).

I checked file starter-final.zip posted by SIW2 for post-EOL updates, but it does not contain any. I did not count the updates, but there are perhaps 200 or less. Build 6003 didn’t actually appear until April 2019, so it was possible to install a large number of Server 2008 updates without changing the build. Microsoft regarded KB4499180 (May 2019) as so critical, they even urged Vista users to install it; but it changed the build to 6003.

Hi Imacri, Tripedacus,  Vistapocalypse, SIW2,

The above post/replies have been good pieces of information..... particularly about error 800B0109.

I was searching for it since a long time till my patience had run out or that I did not take pains to make more effort.

Anyway, now that I got it.... Thanks! 

It looks like another attempt to re-install Vista starter 32 bit can be  made.

The only thing is I must know at what MS Catalog Update I must stop downloading & installing.

As per the details given in above posts/replies, it seems April -May 2019 updates before KB4499180 shall be the last to keep the machine as 6.0.6002.

Then let us see if Windows Update comes up with a green tick - No New Updates or System is Up to date.

I know the most expected response as predicted in the above posts is -- Error 80244019, But we need to test/check and confirm it.

Edited by Boss
Cut short to the point