Still having problems with modem

ectavares

I have a computer with Windows XP and I have dial up connection.

The phone cable is connected to the modem and the jack at the wall.

When I hit dial button to connect to internet it says No dial tone.

What should I do?

:)

well, check to see if that line works, plug it into a phone and see if it gives a dial tone.. make sure you have the line correctly plugged into your modem.. make sure your modem infact works by using windows xp modem diagnostics(Control Panel > Phone and Modem Options > Modems > Select your modem > Diagnositics > Query Modem).. try some of those i suggested and see if everything is working ok

The modem diag for the most part is worthless. It basically "talks" to the modem, and tries to see who made it. Talking to the modem doesn't neccessarily mean the drivers work, although a lot of people try the test anyway.

Assuming the phone line has dial tone, another option would be to use hyper terminal. My understanding of hyper terminal is it doesn't use the modem drivers to dial, it uses it's own code. Open up hyper terminal and try dialing a number. If you hear it dialing, then you're looking at modem drivers. If it doesn't dial, then something is physically wrong with the modem/phone line or windows is majorly broken. And of course try another phone cord.

Also, disable any phone services. One time i was troubleshooting a simliar issue for 2 hours, when the customer said, "oh by the way, the same time my modem problems happened i bought a phone service that zaps telemarketers". I had her disable the service, and then she had dial tone again.

-gosh

I am having a problem with my modem.

It says No dial tone. but everything is connected correctly.

I've done everything I know but since I dont know too much...

There is no problem at the Device Manager(no exclamation mark).

The modem's properties says it is running good.

Can Anyone give some advice about this problem?

Thank You :)

It's possible the modem has just gone bad, maybe zapped by a power surge. I had one that was hit by lightning and had those exact symptoms. It was detected fine but gave a no dial tone message. Double check your phone connection and make sure the line is actually active. I'm sure you've done that already but that's all I can think of; maybe try the modem in another computer if possible.

First thanks for your help.

I am sure the line is working because thats the line I use for my DSL.

I've done what the other guys told about using hyperterminal and it does not give a tone signal.

Do you think it could be my modem? :)

Power surge is not because I dont keep this phone cable connected all the time like I said I use for my internet.

Thanks once again. I Hope to get help for this problem. :rolleyes:

Eh, is the phone cable actually in the LINE IN jack, and not the PHONE jack on the modem? I've been known to do that a few times.....

Other than that, just do what some other people have already recomended, try it in a completely different system and see what it does there.