Unable to install .NET Framework 4.0 on Windows XP x64

Just installed XP x64 and i can't seem to install .NET 4.0 on it :(. On Microsoft Update the update always fails to install but when downloading the update manually and running it it gives me an error:

The setup cannot run in compatibility mode. For more information, see the Readme file.

:/

Edited by Nojus2001

• 8 months later...

Unfortunately, the above suggestion doesn't work.

But what does work is extracting the contents of the .NET 4.0 installer and running the two x64 MSIs directly. You will have to use Orca on each, entering the "CustomAction" tables and dropping the "CA_BlockDirectInstall" entry from the tables. There are no installation options so not running the bootstrapped installer shouldn't be a problem, I think.

The netfxcorex64 package installs successfully (haven't installed the second one but I don't see why it wouldn't work), services are running, and the only .NET 4 program I have is working.

As usual, the official system requirements specify XP SP3/2003 SP2 (begging the question, would the bootstrapped installer work if I changed my XP x64 from workstation to server?), and strangely enough, IE 5.01 even though XP and above come with much newer versions of MSIE. Maybe it was originally supposed to run on Windows 2000?

Edited by win32

According to my installation log, wic_x64_enu.exe must be installed prior to .NET Framework 4.0.

I keep installation logs of my operating systems so that when I erase a hard drive and reinstall, I can get it back the way I want it.  I have logs for Windows XP SP3 and Windows XP x64, none yet for Windows 7 x64 as that is relatively new.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/23/2020 at 6:13 AM, win32 said:

IE 5.01 even though XP and above come with much newer versions of MSIE. Maybe it was originally supposed to run on Windows 2000?

Did the 3.x branch run on Windows 98SE / ME or not? I always assumed it only went up to 2.0 SP2 on those two systems, so maybe there was a change of plan (making this a very old leftover).

Or maybe they just didn't bother changing the IE dependency from earlier versions that included it, due to the lawsuit back in the 2000s leading to MS's gradual disintegration of Internet Explorer from the OS. (It always weirded me out how IE7/8 looked so out of place on XP, and still does to me now. I guess that's what developed my OCD for interfaces that don't look right with the rest of the OS , aka 'why I don't like using Linux').

Edited by Koishi Komeiji

1 hour ago, Koishi Komeiji said:

Did the 3.x branch run on Windows 98SE / ME or not?

No.

1 hour ago, Koishi Komeiji said:

(It always weirded me out how IE7/8 looked so out of place on XP, and still does to me now.

WMP11 as well. There are also many third-party applications in the past few years that draw Windows 7/8-style window borders even though they're on XP. Looks horrible, especially if the system in question has ClearType disabled.

On 10/22/2020 at 1:45 PM, win32 said:

WMP11 as well. There are also many third-party applications in the past few years that draw Windows 7/8-style window borders even though they're on XP. Looks horrible, especially if the system in question has ClearType disabled.

I forgot about that one. And yeah, I noticed that trend creeping in on software, to not bother drawing using the native UI format. One of the reasons GUI-based Linux bugs me is that things can get pretty horribly inconsistent without a lot of fiddling about (no idea why buttons/dialogue boxes/colours and such annoy me so much when they don't align right)

Edited by Koishi Komeiji