Win7 Pro SP1 64bit Slipstreaming - Advice Please

WalksInSilence

I'm following this guide:-

https://www.howtogeek.com/255540/th...eed-how-to-slipstream-the-convenience-rollup/

to create a slipstreamed ISO with the Convenience Updates Rollout.

Everything is all set up, AIK installed, Win7 ISO unpacked etc but I ran into a problem mounting the DISM. It requires the specific Windows 7 ISO's name as a path.

Problem is the Windows 7 64bit ISO I downloaded* appears to include full versions of HB, HP, Pro & Ultimate. When I used cmd to find the name it reported just as "Windows 7" so I assumed in this case the "install.wim" would be updated and when I came to install Window 7 I'd have the option to install whichever version I wanted and they'd all use the same slipstreamed "install.wim".

Apparently not because when I put in "Windows 7" as the name cmd reported the path could not be found. The precise words used are "Error: 0xc1510113" "The specified image does not exist in the WIM".

I'm thinking that I just need to put the name of the actual version of the four I want to use ie. "Windows 7 PRO" or "Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL" but I can find no confirmation about this anywhere.

Does anyone here know and also know why it reports just as "Windows 7" as it was supplied.

*BTW it was a legitimate download from MS and, of course, I do have a genuine factory sealed Win7 64bit OEM disc + unused key. I just wanted to try creating a slipstreamed backup and it seemed a good idea to do it all from scratch rather than use that original disc.

EDIT
I'm pretty sure now that the download, although a seemingly a trustworthy source, was not direct from MS, as it had been until quite recently, and that the "install.wim" folder content structure has been modified for some reason.

This might be completely off the mark but it actually looks to me like somebody has taken authentic Win7 installer content and added files from an existing working PC, presumably running the specific Win 7 version required.

The problem is that from reference to my own genuine Win7 installer discs it appears that the "install.wim" archive, where the main OS content is located, needs those files to be packaged in a particular way: inside a numbered folder. In this download's case they're all loose.

Perhaps it would still install OK as it is but as far as the slipstreaming process goes it may not be usable.

1732223085_Install.wimContentDownload.thumb.png.aebbdc30a2252f48fb3922de8e431184.png

Install.wim Content: download

1622087058_Install.wimContentOrgMSDisc.thumb.png.1871d9303a175ee27ee3d483336245c4.png

Install.wim Content: org MS disc

Edited by WalksInSilence

I've done this just about a month ago, but it would probably be helpful if you could provide some screencaps of what is actually going on when you try doing this. It would help give us a visual.

If you can get this done, I'd recommend wiping your drive and reinstalling Windows with it. With the convenience rollup, a good portion of the OS is updated and installed at setup, rather than as updates. I'm the biggest believer that Windows updates slow your system down over time.

And since this is more of creating new media and not an unattended installation, I'm going to move this thread to the actual Windows 7 forum in hopes that it'll get more attention than it is here.

Moved to Windows 7 forum

I've not actually installed anything yet; the PC is still virgin whilst I've been waiting for replies here and elsewhere.

With my other Win7 PC I've been using for 3+ years I used the Convenience Update Rollup from disc just after the main OS had been installed. I've updated it with most, not all, updates offered since then although I've become VERY wary as MS just love slipping in telemetry gathering ones. I've opted out of their customer 'experience' program from day one but they have still done that twice now and I've dodged another one or two others. They do affect performance even if only for a short time.

Creating a slipstreamed disc is really just a side project I thought I'd like to try.

I'm even more convinced now that the Win7 download I found whilst genuine is not correctly set up for the slipstreaming tools as it will not allow me to add the updates to the Win7 extracted ISO unless I identify the version as required. It simply does not recognise "Windows 7" as the version ID, reporting the path as invalid.

The downloaded ISO may well install Win7 correctly on its own but I'd have to add the updates separately as for my other Win7 PC. I do not mind doing that but as a backup a single disc with the Convenience Update Rollup included is a good idea which is why I wanted to do it.

So I've imported the relevant numbered install.wim file for the Win7 version I have a licence key for from my MS Win7 disc. I used that to replace the contents of the downloaded version's install.wim and checked that up to the point of adding the required Stack Update and Convenience Update Rollup. It identifies the Win7 version correctly in the way the slipstreaming tutorials describes/show so that's what I'm going to try.

I'd still like advice though on any aspect of this process so comments/suggestions are still very welcome.