Running Windows 2000 on modern motherboards - USB issues

Tommy

On 5/22/2020 at 7:59 PM, Cixert said:

I have been with the issue on Acer x3900 (I3-530 first generation with H57 chipset) for a few days, every time I try to change to another driver version then Windows 2000 SP4 UR1v2 freezes with serious consequences. Loss of registry files or other files on the system.
Exactly freezes when uninstalling Intel USB and also when installing Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller.

In that case I would skip "Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller" and begin working through the other USB drivers instead, because the route may be different for your H57 chipset.  I know of no fixed formula for solving this, so can only suggest, in general:

Try starting with different USB drivers from the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard list.  As you work through these attempts, along the way try to let Windows Update take over, because if Windows Update can once get a proper foothold, it should be able to complete the USB installation steps automatically.

Unfortunately it is sort of a layered process, and the "Select a Device Driver" window has quite a few Manufacturers / Models there to try, and who knows what order will work for your H57.  Just don't let it go back to its original choice (Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Host Controller) because that is a dead end.

Like brute force decryption, hammer on it and hammer on it and maybe it finally gives in.

On 5/30/2020 at 4:44 AM, bluebolt said:

In that case I would skip "Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller" and begin working through the other USB drivers instead, because the route may be different for your H57 chipset.  I know of no fixed formula for solving this, so can only suggest, in general:

Try starting with different USB drivers from the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard list.  As you work through these attempts, along the way try to let Windows Update take over, because if Windows Update can once get a proper foothold, it should be able to complete the USB installation steps automatically.

Unfortunately it is sort of a layered process, and the "Select a Device Driver" window has quite a few Manufacturers / Models there to try, and who knows what order will work for your H57.  Just don't let it go back to its original choice (Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Host Controller) because that is a dead end.

Like brute force decryption, hammer on it and hammer on it and maybe it finally gives in.

I have found this post on the @blackwingcat blog also with a problem with Intel 5 series / 3400 chipset family but in this case PM55 chipset.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1157500.html
He says the problem occurs because USB 2.0 on Windows 2000 is implemented over USB 1.1 ports. If there is no 1.1 port, USB 2.0 does not work on Windows 2000.
Black Wing Cat solves this by changing the enhanced controller to universal.
Intel 5 Series / 3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B34
by
Intel 5 Series / 3400 Series Chipset Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3B36
I have tried it but it doesn't work for me.
Windows Update hasn't worked for me either, it says a correct driver is already installed.
Nor has it worked for me with other generic drivers I've tried.
In addition, Black Wing Cat relates in another post that he has a private update that solves this problem. But sadly I have not been able to find this update.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/158877.html
Translated from the Japanese:
"Yellow at the USB mass storage driver! I get this, but this works fine when I install the private Windows 2000 USB related Update"

Edited by Cixert

It does seem that the USB controller issue is down to this:

on hardware with USB 2.0 (EHCI) controllers and no USB 1.1 (UHCI) controllers, Windows 2000 ignores the [USB.CopyFiles.NT] section of USB.INF.

In the UniversalHCD and OpenHCD sections of the file, there is a CopyFile instruction for USB.CopyFiles.NT, whereas there isn't one for the EHCI section. USB.CopyFiles.NT includes usbd.sys and usbhub.sys; the latter is redundant due to usbhub20.sys, but usbhub20.sys relies on usbd.sys as shown by Dependency Walker. usbehci.sys relies on usbd.sys indirectly, through usbport.sys.

So I believe the solution is to open USB.INF, look for the section [EHCI.CopyFiles.NT] and add usbd.sys immediately below it.

[EHCI.CopyFiles.NT]
usbd.sys
usbehci.sys
usbport.sys

I have no way of testing this as my hardware is either too old or too new to experience this issue. Please tell me if it works.

I think that the H57 problem would be fixed by this change as it seems to have only EHCI controllers; thus UHCI drivers would be useless as there are no such controllers in the system.

Edited by win32

14 hours ago, win32 said:

It does seem that the USB controller issue is down to this:

on hardware with USB 2.0 (EHCI) controllers and no USB 1.1 (UHCI) controllers, Windows 2000 ignores the [USB.CopyFiles.NT] section of USB.INF.

In the UniversalHCD and OpenHCD sections of the file, there is a CopyFile instruction for USB.CopyFiles.NT, whereas there isn't one for the EHCI section. USB.CopyFiles.NT includes usbd.sys and usbhub.sys; the latter is redundant due to usbhub20.sys, but usbhub20.sys relies on usbd.sys as shown by Dependency Walker. usbehci.sys relies on usbd.sys indirectly, through usbport.sys.

So I believe the solution is to open USB.INF, look for the section [EHCI.CopyFiles.NT] and add usbd.sys immediately below it.

[EHCI.CopyFiles.NT]
usbd.sys
usbehci.sys
usbport.sys

I have no way of testing this as my hardware is either too old or too new to experience this issue. Please tell me if it works.

I think that the H57 problem would be fixed by this change as it seems to have only EHCI controllers; thus UHCI drivers would be useless as there are no such controllers in the system.

After modifying usb.inf
Do I have to do something else?
I have modified
C: \ WINNT \ inf
C: \ WINNT \ ServicePackFiles \ i386
I have rebooted and nothing has happened.
Currently I have an unidentified driver
"Simple PCI Communications controller"
Some programs say it is a MODEM but I do not have a MODEM and I do not have a card connected to any port on the motherboard.
I comment it in case it could be related to USB ports

647119374_driverscasifinal.jpg.4c4cd4f908ac56ce88ac958056beefc2.jpg

Edited by Cixert

3 hours ago, Cixert said:

After modifying usb.inf
Do I have to do something else?
I have modified
C: \ WINNT \ inf
C: \ WINNT \ ServicePackFiles \ i386

My solution was intended moreso for those installing. Since you're not, you can simply copy usbd.sys to C:\WINNT\system32\drivers and hopefully the USB drivers will be able to start.

Edited by win32

6 hours ago, Cixert said:

Currently I have an unidentified driver
"Simple PCI Communications controller"
Some programs say it is a MODEM but I do not have a MODEM and I do not have a card connected to any port on the motherboard.
I comment it in case it could be related to USB ports

https://msfn.org/board/topic/173710-intel-mei-driver-pci-simple-communications-controller/

On 6/1/2020 at 4:45 PM, win32 said:

My solution was intended moreso for those installing. Since you're not, you can simply copy usbd.sys to C:\WINNT\system32\drivers and hopefully the USB drivers will be able to start.

Usbd.sys to C: \ WINNT \ system32 \ drivers was already copied
Unfortunately it still doesn't work.
My w2000 system is built on a base installation on IBM Netvista A20, a year 2000 computer. It contains the drivers for this computer (with generic chipset driver & other generic), basic programs and custom configuration on Service Pack 3.
From this installation I have created an image that in later years I have pasted on all the computers I use, updating needs (now SP4 UR1v2)
So far I have no problems due to this circumstance.
Can previously installed USB 1.1 drivers interfere?

Edited by Cixert

On 3/24/2020 at 10:01 PM, win32 said:

Since we used this thread to talk about newer NVIDIA drivers, I'll provide a report on 320.92, direct from NVIDIA:

While it seems alright for OpenGL, allowing the use of versions up to 4.3 on my Quadro FX 3800, it has problems with some DirectX games.

I tried to play Sid Meier's Railroads, but textures kept getting all glitchy and disappearing after a few minutes; alt-tabbing brought me into 640x480x4 mode, then the screen went blank. So I cannot recommend it.

I can't wait to compare with BWC's modded driver once they're back online.

BWC's 310.70 allows the stable use of Sid Meier's Railroads, but I'm having trouble with GTA: SA version 1.0 and City Life 2008 Edition. Instead of loading a game or even its cutscenes, I get an endless loop of D3D9.DLL calling EnumDisplayMonitors and GetMonitorInfoA in the case of the former. In the case of the latter, it does that for a bit but eventually fails with an "unable to create Direct3D device error".

Indeed, 310.70 is listed as a beta driver, whereas the next one, 331.65 isn't. So I'm off to try that.

And 331.65 fixes those games!

Edited by win32

• 1 month later...

Hello. I know this thread is devoted to Windows 2000, but are there any topics providing a list of supported hardware for NT 4.0? Any info I could find on NT is extremely limited because it's rather obscure compared to its 9x brothers. I am trying to figure out whether or not my Dell Latitude D600 can properly run NT 4.0 with full driver support.

Chipset driver (8xx; I believe there is a working driver)
ATI Raedon 9000 (required DirectX on Windows 98/ME/2000/XP...would SciTech work? It would theoretically work on my Thinkpad R60's 945GM)
Sigmatel Audio 9250 (all versions of AC97 audio appear to work on Windows 98/ME) - Wondering if SnapAudio would do it.
Broadcom Ethernet (I think there's a valid driver for this one)
Dell Wireless 1300 and 1400 series (PROBLEMCHYLD had to modify the W2K driver to work on Windows 98/ME)

• 4 months later...
On 6/2/2020 at 8:18 PM, Cixert said:

Usbd.sys to C: \ WINNT \ system32 \ drivers was already copied
Unfortunately it still doesn't work.
My w2000 system is built on a base installation on IBM Netvista A20, a year 2000 computer. It contains the drivers for this computer (with generic chipset driver & other generic), basic programs and custom configuration on Service Pack 3.
From this installation I have created an image that in later years I have pasted on all the computers I use, updating needs (now SP4 UR1v2)
So far I have no problems due to this circumstance.
Can previously installed USB 1.1 drivers interfere?

I am booting Windows 2000 on another computer and I have almost the same problems as on PM55 chipset.
This time it is an Asus server from 2007 with chipset Intel Xeon 3000 (Mukilteo-2) (3000 series) (ICH7).
In this case the USB 1.1 driver works correctly. And I don't have freeze problems when changing the USB2 driver for a generic one, but it tells me that USB2 is not compatible with "Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller" or with any other standard driver (in USB 1.1 it says yes).
Even if I force the installation, I still get the yellow exclamation with code error 10.
Asus-error-USB.jpg

I don't understand what can happen.
Any service disabled?
On older computers I have had no problems with USB 2.0 on w2000.
(Pentium II chipset 440BX with PCI card)
(Pentium III chipset 810 with PCI card)
(Pentium IV 845PE / ICH4)
(Pentium IV Via Chipset)

Edit:

I have uninstalled all the devices that are not currently present on the system by following this tutorial,
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/165554-usb-driver-general-fix-problems.html
adding the system environment variable "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices"
with value 1 to be able to visualize the disconnected devices with the option See hidden devices of the device manager menu.

I have also tried changing the BIOS settings but none of this has made it work.
In BIOS EHCI enabled or disable it?
The result is the same...

Edited by Cixert

• 10 months later...
On 7/30/2019 at 12:40 AM, Tommy said:

Thank you for bringing this up! This always irked me too. I always ended up disabling the display driver helper service after setting up dual monitors.

Edit: You WILL need to brute force the INF file in order to work as Blackwingcat does, otherwise it will tell you there is no file that contains any information on your hardware, so it pretends not to see it

However, last official drivers? Which drivers are you using? I'm just curious. As I was poking around tonight, I discovered a gem, a very interesting gem that even Blackwingcat doesn't have on his blog. While he may have unofficial drivers on his site, I found a very recent (um, 9 years ago recent lol :crazy: ) NVIDIA driver that actually DOES officially support Windows 2000.

https://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-257.21-whql-driver.html
https://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-258.96-whql-driver.html (Discovered after posting this, true last official NVIDIA Windows 2000 release)

Really? An official 2xx.xx driver from NVIDIA? Why, yes it is! How many people know about this? If you have a Quadro, you're in even better position for a newer driver!

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/25619/en-us

Whaaaaaa????? An OFFICIALLY LISTED Windows 2000 driver!!!! However, it only lists Quadros as supported and NOT GeForce. The files are a bit smaller in this release as well but it leaves me wondering if we can break into these drivers and mod them to support newer things.

I think I'm a lot more impressed by the GeForce/Quadro release. And no, there is no need for unofficial kernels either, it works on vanilla Win2k.These gems are hard to find because of the way the driver search works, it really doesn't want you to find these older drivers, nor are they even on the older archive page. So I'd really suggest grabbing it while you can before it so happens to disappear. The best card these drivers can support are a GTX 480 which I don't think is anything at all to sneeze at. And yes, it supports dual monitors out of the box too. :D

new driver.PNG

Release 260.89 seems to be the first Windows XP exclusive driver, but interestingly enough keeps the win2kdualview in its driver file, so *it* may still work with a little bit of brute force.

Edit: The INF file will not work without modding it like Blackwingcat does. Add/remove hardware complains there's no file that contains information on your hardware, like it pretends it doesn't exist. If I wasn't so happy with my current installation, I'd totally try it out. Maybe someone else with a sandbox wants to try it out? Heck, it's so close and supports all the same hardware, you could probably just copy the INF file from 258.96 and edit the header information for the 260.89 release and it would possibly still work? Although it seems to be the first driver pack that has the "new" layout in files/folders.

nvidia.PNG

No joke, no mods, straight off NVIDIA's website. :thumbup

I know this thread is old, but I want to say thank you for linking to these Nvidia Quadro drivers. By adding in my 06EB hardware ID, I was able to get these to install on a Dell Latitude E6400 with 2000. Interestingly enough, the Quadro drivers from Dell's website do mention 2000 in the inf of the XP version, but I don't think I was able to work that one under 2000.

• 6 months later...

I just want to report that this PCI-E 1x VIA6212 card (with its own PCI to PCI-E bridge chip) works perfectly under NT4.0 and Windows 2000. (also 9x) I'm running NT3.51/4/2000 on a Ryzen 3900X machine.

In NT4.0 after installing the  USB patch doesn't even need a restart.

pci_e_via_6212L_card-scaled.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have PC with Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard and Seagate ST3500418AS hard drive. 

According Gigabyte, this motherboard is supporting by Windows 2000 (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P55A-UD3-rev-20/support#support-dl-driver).

But when I'm running this PC over USB with W2k (image writing on USB stick by Rufus software), I'm getting blue screen with 0x0000007B error code.
How can I resolve this issue?

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2022 at 8:31 AM, Caporeira said:

I have PC with Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard and Seagate ST3500418AS hard drive. 

According Gigabyte, this motherboard is supporting by Windows 2000 (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P55A-UD3-rev-20/support#support-dl-driver).

But when I'm running this PC over USB with W2k (image writing on USB stick by Rufus software), I'm getting blue screen with 0x0000007B error code.
How can I resolve this issue?

Slipstream the SATA drivers into the ISO, but even then, the Rufus created ISO will complain about how it cannot find the EULA. So, the only option is with good ole CD's. Windows XP works when prepared with Rufus however.

• 3 months later...
On 11/29/2020 at 6:22 PM, Cixert said:

I am booting Windows 2000 on another computer and I have almost the same problems as on PM55 chipset.
This time it is an Asus server from 2007 with chipset Intel Xeon 3000 (Mukilteo-2) (3000 series) (ICH7).
In this case the USB 1.1 driver works correctly. And I don't have freeze problems when changing the USB2 driver for a generic one, but it tells me that USB2 is not compatible with "Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller" or with any other standard driver (in USB 1.1 it says yes).
Even if I force the installation, I still get the yellow exclamation with code error 10.
Asus-error-USB.jpg

I don't understand what can happen.
Any service disabled?
On older computers I have had no problems with USB 2.0 on w2000.
(Pentium II chipset 440BX with PCI card)
(Pentium III chipset 810 with PCI card)
(Pentium IV 845PE / ICH4)
(Pentium IV Via Chipset)

Edit:

I have uninstalled all the devices that are not currently present on the system by following this tutorial,
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/165554-usb-driver-general-fix-problems.html
adding the system environment variable "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices"
with value 1 to be able to visualize the disconnected devices with the option See hidden devices of the device manager menu.

I have also tried changing the BIOS settings but none of this has made it work.
In BIOS EHCI enabled or disable it?
The result is the same...

I had been on a computer with Windows 2000 SP3 for years working with USB 1.1 until today I found the solution to enable USB 2.0

The original driver was an ICH7 with the USB EHCI service. This gave code 10 error, the device has not been able to start at the USB of the motherboard.
I was thinking that may not work EHCI at W2000 SP3 and that I would have to update to SP4, but this has not been necessary.

I have update usbhub20.sys to version 5.00.2195.6655. and it work.

In the device administrator I have chosen the driver "Intel Pci to USB Enhanced Host Controller"
Then a new driver category has appeared named "Standar USB Hub" and this has automatically installed the Driver "USB 2.0 Root Hub" working perfectly on my computer.
I have the question of whether there is any performance difference with USB EHCI.
I would also like to know where to find the EHCI service in Windows 2000, since in Services.msc it is not.