Running Windows 2000 on modern motherboards - USB issues

Tommy

21 hours ago, win32 said:

I just saw the edits to your posts and although I just paved over my sandbox, @tomasz86 has tested some of the post-258.96 drivers already:

261.19 works perfectly for me, but it seems that 306.81 may do fine with a couple files copied over from an older release. 306.81 supports up to the GeForce GTX 650 Ti/GTX 680!

edit: then I read some more and heard about potential instability and reliance on unofficial updates. Nothing is for sure unless someone with a 500/600 series GeForce + > 4 GB RAM comes forward

I can't believe this but I actually had that package saved on my hard drive. However, when I put in my Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650, those drivers will not detect it. In fact add/remove hardware comes up blank, even when you try to "force" find the driver. If you do the regular search, it doesn't find it where you tell it to look either. So I'm still at square one there. I have a feeling the replaced nv4disp/nv4mini files had something to do with that, maybe.

That is strange, considering that as long as a matching hardware ID is in the INF, Windows 2000 will find it and try to install it, even if the driver is completely invalid for the purpose (as I discovered when I was desperate for a driver to pick up my Galaxy S5; hoping some random "Samsung" driver would work).

In the official XP x86 306.81 driver package, the GeForce GTX 650 is listed in nv4_disp.inf with a hardware identifier of DEV_0FC6. Is yours the same? If not, replace any traces of that in the inf with the DEV_XXXX yours spits out in device manager.

Any traces of "NTx86"/"NTx86.5.1" should also be purged from the inf.

That inf still references stuff like "EnableWin2kDualview" and even "NT4MultiDevEnable!"

Edited by win32

42 minutes ago, win32 said:

In the official XP x86 306.81 driver package, the GeForce GTX 650 is listed in nv4_disp.inf with a hardware identifier of DEV_0FC6. Is yours the same? If not, replace any traces of that in the inf with the DEV_XXXX yours spits out in device manager.

Yep, it is DEV_0FC6, I verified that this evening so it's in there and yet for whatever reason it still won't detect it. Being a Gigabyte shouldn't matter, especially since the hardware identifier is the same. Now...it WILL surprisingly detect the official 306.81 driver if I mod the INF file as needed but if I replace the two files that tomasz86 mentions, I get a "parameters are incorrect" and it will cease to install. I'm almost curious as to what would've happened if I just went ahead and placed the official (but modded) INF file that I made into the package that tomasz86 has made, if that would've made a difference. It's not hard to switch cards out so I can always try that too.

Hmm. He did mention previously that the version numbers of those two files obviously did not match up with the other files, which may not sit well. I don't know if he changed them, but if not, try imagecfg (https://robpol86.com/imagecfg.html).

The syntax would be: imagecfg -b *version number* *file path*

Alternatively, you could try doing the manual inf install with the new files, then replacing them with the old files in WINNT\system32\drivers before rebooting.

UPDATE: I noticed a 25% performance boost in Cinebench R11.5 x86 in XP x64 with 320.xx drivers over my 261.19 in win2k, so I looked at the missing dependencies against extended kernel/core:

DisplayDriverExt.dll and nvdispgenco32.dll: one in setupapi.dll (SetupDiGetActualSectionToInstallExW)

The nv4_disp.dll from 306.81, does in fact have no missing dependencies whatsoever.

nv4_mini.sys (the 306.81 version as well), needs videoprt.sys. Doesn't exist in vanilla win2k but extended core provides it.

With that in mind, I gave 306.81 a spin for myself with all original files. It gave an "invalid flags" error at the end of the install through device manager, and it appeared listed as the old driver version afterwards, but the files were in fact updated. Unfortunately my cinebench result went down further to 35 fps from 40, so I'm going back to the old driver. It is important to note that there were no stability issues, at least in my limited testing. This could very well be holy grail for those with 500/600 series GeForces, Quadro 7000s, and earlier Tesla models (for supercomputers).

Edited by win32

I do not know why it is due but the reason in my case and it may be that in yours also when installing windows 2000 even if you have the integrated sp4 does not copy the usbd.sys and usbhub.sys files but copy them from a virtual machine and it worked on my LGA1155

• 2 months later...

Has anyone ever tried Windows 2000 on Ryzen or Skylake and above?

The custom acpi.sys and the AMD USB 3.0 drivers for XP have no missing dependencies in a win2k installation with extended core v16a. So Ryzen should be possible.

In fact I can get Windows 2000 setup to load on an HP laptop with an i5-7200U when the MPS Multiprocessor PC or Standard PC HALs are loaded. Then it progresses to a 0x7 BSOD, but I think it's because of the GPT layout of the HDD. Maybe the custom acpi.sys can solve that issue and Windows 2000 + Threadripper/i9 may become a reality.

• 4 weeks later...

The custom acpi.sys for XP doesn't like Windows 2000 with Extended Core, and setup complains of "corruption".

blackwingcat's acpi.sys still leaves me stuck at "setup is starting Windows 2000".

So I guess MPS Multiprocessor PC will be the way to go. APM Suspend isn't that bad anyway.

• 3 months later...

Since we used this thread to talk about newer NVIDIA drivers, I'll provide a report on 320.92, direct from NVIDIA:

While it seems alright for OpenGL, allowing the use of versions up to 4.3 on my Quadro FX 3800, it has problems with some DirectX games.

I tried to play Sid Meier's Railroads, but textures kept getting all glitchy and disappearing after a few minutes; alt-tabbing brought me into 640x480x4 mode, then the screen went blank. So I cannot recommend it.

I can't wait to compare with BWC's modded driver once they're back online.

Edited by win32

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2019 at 8:05 AM, bluebolt said:

13. looks like this after rebooting; right click on yellow bang "Standard Universal..." to update driver

14. here W2k Pro tries to regress to the original (non-working) drivers

15. Choose "Install one of the other drivers" and go with "Standard Enhanced..."

I have been with the issue on Acer x3900 (I3-530 first generation with H57 chipset) for a few days, every time I try to change to another driver version then Windows 2000 SP4 UR1v2 freezes with serious consequences. Loss of registry files or other files on the system.
Exactly freezes when uninstalling Intel USB and also when installing Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller.

Then I have seen this post and followed your instructions:
1-I have installed Intel Chipset Device Software 9.4.0.1027 (SATA 9.1.9.1005 USB 9.1.9.1006) with IDE mode on BIOS.
667352271_driverIntel.jpg.a5bf286cd74ab4a9feac21b199380b0d.jpg

2. I Install standard Universal PCI to USB host controller.
1376488057_hostPCItoUSB.jpg.8eecc7ed8e08e1cbc9d9fcac4dd83dab.jpg

3.The installed driver seems correct. The Intel name does not appear. But it continues with a yellow symbol and Code 10.
961746934_driverstandaruniversal.jpg.f6f59d6d8de03461e7d3f5f83b86f59e.jpg

4- So when I try to follow your instructions to install Generic USB hub but windows 2000 freezes again when trying to install Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller.
Any ideas?
I do not have an Internet connection because I do not have a USB and I cannot find a compatible ethernet driver for the Intel 82578DC.
I also can't find driver for Intel HD video.

Edited by Cixert

On 5/23/2020 at 5:33 AM, Ximonite said:

BlackWingCat's PRO2KV3 should work.

That link gives this result:
Bad GateWay

If you don't use the direct link, please change security level down at this site.

Do you have another link?
Thank you

Edited by Cixert

On 5/23/2020 at 8:00 AM, Tommy said:

Oh it's amazing, a 2011 driver that can't be found on the Intel web.
Unfortunately I can't install it.
This gives the following warnings:
Warning:
Install the latest version of .Net Framework from the download center to run this application successfully.
do you wish to continue?

The installation program has not installed one or more device drivers.
The installation program will exit.

I have installed .Net 2.0 updated as indicated in this post:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/139192-installing-net-20-sp2/
Do you know another Intel HD version for w2k?

Edit:

@Tommy I did not remember that a Windows 2000 update prevents installing unsigned hardware. I have configured it to allow on My PC-properties-hardware and I have installed on Windows 2000 an even later update. Intel® HD Graphics Media 14.46.8 on web Black Wing Cat.
https://web.archive.org/web/20140830163034if_/http://w2k.flxsrv.org/cgi-bin/dl.cgi?file=win2k_14468.zip

.Net Framework 3.0 is required only to open interface Intel graphics properties.

But it can be replaced by the executable gfxui.cab
https://web.archive.org/web/20140830163021if_/http://w2k.flxsrv.org/cgi-bin/dl.cgi?file=gfxui.cab

Edited by Cixert

11 hours ago, Ximonite said:

Interesting. The link worked for me. I uploaded the file to my own website here.

http://ximonite.com/ethernet/intel/w2k/PRO2Kv3.zip

It is rare, I have tried several Internet browsers with Windows XP & Windows 10 but from the same Internet connection.
This last link has worked, now I will test it in Windows 2000. Thanks.

Edit:
@Ximonite
PRO1000 folder has worked on LAN Intel 82578DC after configuring allow unsigned drivers on Windows 2000.

Edited by Cixert