Hello from GA!

aoresteen

Well, after 2 months of trying,  I was finally able to register here at MSFN.  I guess the system didn't like my email address even though it is valid. I've been a lurker here for a while.

I am a retired CIO &  I also retired from the Army Reserves. I hail from Newnan GA, just south of Atlanta.  My systems of choice are WinXP SP3,  Win98S, and PC DOS 2000 for Inel CPUs.  I do dabble with Linux Mint once in a while.  I built my fist PC in 1986 - a 386SX with SIPP RAM - all 4 MB of it (yes, I tossed it long ago. I should have kept the SIPP RAM :( )   Before that I used a Mac 128K.  I cut the RAM chips off the Mac 128K mobo, installed sockets & 512K ram and the decode logic making my own 512K FAT Mac.  It is still running with 6MB RAM.  I wrote software in the 80's & 90's primarily on the Mac and DOS using compiled BASIC & Assembly language.  I lost interest in the Mac when Apple dropped the 680x0 and went to the PowerPC chip. I still "play" with a Mac - a Quadra 605 with 128MB & a full 68040 (40MHz) running 33MHz.  Someday I'll goose it up to 40MHZ and see what happens :) .

I am also a musician and I have a small recording studio in my home.  My primary DAW is a 4GB Windows XP Pro SP3 running Sonar 8.5 and Reaper.  I sill use WinXP as the drivers for my 16 channel PCI audio interface do not work correctly under Windows 7 or above.  I would have to spend $2,500+ get new hardware to use Win7 or higher.  No thanks.  It's running very well as is so I just leave it alone.  I still use Win98SE to drive a rack of "vintage" syths and MIDI equipment.  I just completed a new MOBO upgrade (Socket 478 3.0 GHz)  on the Win98SE box and bumped up the RAM from 1gb to 4GB.  I use R. Loew's RAM Limitation Patch  7.2 and love it. Before I bought the patch I was limited to 256MB as 512MB on my P3 800MHZ would crash. With the RAM patch I ran with 1GB RAM and it was rock so;id.  I don't know what I will do now with all that 4GB RAM :) ! Kinda like when I upgraded my Mac Plus from 1mb to a whopping 4mb !

My current project is building a DOS & Win98SE box for games.  Mobo is a Socket 478 3.0GHz P  loaded with 2 GB RAM.  I'm still fighting with drivers for it and I hope to have it stable soon. 7th Guest, the Myst games, Dark Fall, Crystal Key ect are the types games I like.

I'm looking forward to learning here and maybe I can pass on a nugget or two.

Edited by aoresteen

4 minutes ago, aoresteen said:

I guess the system didn't like my email address even though it is valid.

I don' t know if it is the same thing, but once we had the board autocorrect (replacing some characters with asterisks) words like Fukushima (no workaround possible) and Matsushita (we had to write Panasonic to get through the word filters ;))

Welcome aboard! :)

jaclaz

10 hours ago, aoresteen said:

My current project is building a DOS & Win98SE box for games.  Mobo is a Socket 478 3.0GHz P  loaded with 2 GB RAM.  I'm still fighting with drivers for it and I hope to have it stable soon. 7th Guest, the Myst games, Dark Fall, Crystal Key ect are the types games I like.

I'm looking forward to learning here and maybe I can pass on a nugget or two.

Welcome to MSFN! :hello:

Regarding your project game machine, you should not encounter this with 2GB of RAM, but if you go above 2GB you may encounter issues with any games that run inside DOS boxes (WarCraft, WarCraft II, probably others I'm not familiar with). If you encounter this, rloew has a patch for this issue as well (DPMI memory limiter).

I have a stockpile of high-end P4-era hardware myself, and I've had a couple such gaming machines "under construction" for years now. I never seem to be able to find the time to fool with them, or to be able to put together a group of friends for good old LAN gaming anymore. :}