Getting SATA-mode to work during and after XP install

Nomen

@Luweitest

I cannot think of anything more risky than what you reported doing, however, if it worked for you, good. :)

Still it is not the "right way", which is the one already posted by me and cdob (i.e. have the driver be "parallel" to the IDE one), allowing, in case of issues with the new driver to re-set the BIOS to IDE and have the previous driver (almost) surely working.

It is very possible that XP has some "safety mechanism" that allows anyway to revert to the IDE driver if the SATA one fails and you re-set the BIOS to IDE, but it remains IMHO risky, if one makes before an integral copy of the disk, then it may be attempted, but otherwise ...

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

32 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

It is very possible that XP has some "safety mechanism" that allows anyway to revert to the IDE driver if the SATA one fails and you re-set the BIOS to IDE, but it remains IMHO risky, if one makes before an integral copy of the disk, then it may be attempted, but otherwise ...

I did it without backup first...Not a good practice, I am lazy. I thought if anything went wrong I could use my DOS boot disk to rescue files. What would be the risky part? I thought Intel's driver should work, as long as XP does not present blue screen and recognizes new device. I can't think of anything that could damage data on the disk.

1 hour ago, luweitest said:

I did it without backup first...Not a good practice, I am lazy. I thought if anything went wrong I could use my DOS boot disk to rescue files. What would be the risky part? I thought Intel's driver should work, as long as XP does not present blue screen and recognizes new device. I can't think of anything that could damage data on the disk.

Basically, AFAICU  you are replacing (forcing) the driver to a not-the-right PCI/VEN.

IF - for whatever reasons - the new driver doesn't start AND the old IDE driver does not (on reboot with the BIOS back to IDE) still work you are left with a non-bootable system.

Of course recovery of such a system is always possible, think of the good ol' mergeIDE, but it is not like it is (anymore) common knowledge:

(currently the above link resolves to ANOTHER MS KB page, use an archived version to get the mergeide.reg:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100723171255/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082/

And you need to somehow boot the computer with a PE (or have another OS or another computer) to use that.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Thanks, didn't realize that had been discussed in detail. I had read that thread, but went direct to the second last post, and saw it's not applicable because my BIOS have only one SATA setting, which if changed without installing the SATA driver first, will get blue screen death. So I feel lucky that I succeeded so risky!

Yesterday I installed XP on an AMD-based ASROCK motherboard (again, a board with no floppy controller).  This one had a single SATA controller, and all ports could only be set to either IDE or AHCI.  So I installed XP with the ports set to IDE.  After all other drivers were installed, I added a SATA pci card.  XP found the card and I gave it the AHCI drivers for it.  I then shut it down, moved the XP drive to the card, set the on-board SATA ports to AHCI and restarted.  XP booted up just fine, and now it detected the on-board SATA controller.  I looked at the device ID string for controller, and searched all inf files for the string in all the driver files I had downloaded and expanded from Asrock.   I found only 1 file buried deep in one directory tree that had the matching device ID.  It worked, and I installed the driver.  Shut down the computer, removed the PCI card, reconnected the drive back to the on-board controller,   XP started just fine.  Only after all this, with the drive controller in AHCI mode and all other drivers installed, do I perform XP activation (I used telephone method - not smart phone option).   It would have taken me hours of trial and error to find the right driver for a grub-based F6 floppy install.  Do all updates (about 130, avoid WGA) then run POS reg file, get a bunch more. 

Why does MS not offer any .NET security patches/updates for regular XP-SP3 like they do for POS2009?

On 7/20/2019 at 2:56 PM, Nomen said:

It would have taken me hours of trial and error to find the right driver for a grub-based F6 floppy install. 

Sure :). requisites for using an F6 floppy are:

1) a floppy drive
2) an actually suitable F6 floppy media

requisites for grub4dos floppyless F6 are:

1) grub4dos
2) an actually suitable F6 floppy media image

If you miss #2 both methods become complex.

jaclaz 

P.S. Before I forget, a similar approach using Syslinux:

http://wp.xin.at/archives/2702

Edited by jaclaz

A friend was having similar problems using an original Windows XP CD. I slipstreamed SP3 and then slipstreamed a large number of updates using nLite. I gave him a copy of the ISO file and he burned it to a DVD. After that he had no more SATA problems, which was a bit of a surprise because I didn't bother slipstreaming any drivers into the ISO.

Phil

14 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

XP SP3 (and SP0/1/2) does not come built-in with any .NET Frameworks.

I don't think that's why I was seeing .Net updates.  I performed a new XP install and activation today (july 20) and got 130 updates from M$.  I then did the POS thing and only got 30 more updates (on other systems I've gotten 60).  I don't think any of them were .net.  On the systems where I did get .net updates after doing POS, those systems had installed .net (version 2?) as part of installing the video driver (some extra stuff other than the drivers got installed, and they came with some version of .net).  On the system today, after the 30 POS2009 updates, no more were offered.  I then installed a bunch of .net versions (2, 3.5, 4) and after that I got a whack more kb updates, and they were almost all .net (a few weren't).

Not to get side tracked too much, but what other stuff should I install (that I might need or want some day) on a new XP install with POS that would trigger more KB updates to be offered (assuming the update servers are still up) ?  Are there any MS Office updates that are only offered to a POS system?