Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

wimb

VHD_WIMBOOT - Apply and Capture of WIM Files for OS in VHD

On 11/20/2020 at 4:03 PM, wimb said:

WinNTSetup method Enable native USB Boot of Windows 7 is working great for direct Install of Win7x64 in VHD on USB.

WinNTSetup Enable USB Boot of Windows 7 was successful for me,
but it was so because by luck I connected the USB SSD to the port for which WinNTSetup made the essential corrections of the USB extended host controller.
In my case WinNTSetup changed the Intel iusb3xhc and iusb3hub such that Start=0 and BootFlags=4 and Group=System Bus Extender, which is working OK.
But when I connect the USB to other port that has ASMedia XHCI as controller, then WinNTSetup results in USB Boot failure.
In that case WinNTSetup changes the same Intel iusb3xhc and iusb3hub Service Settings, whereas it would be needed to correct asmtxhci and asmthub3 Service settings.

My original USB Boot problem for 7x64 Compact VHD can be solved also by adding the correct USB Service settings after Apply as done in VHD_WIMBOOT.
In my case it means that Intel iusb3xhc and iusb3hub and ASMedia XHCI asmtxhci and asmthub3 Service settings must have Start=0 and BootFlags=4 and Group=System Bus Extender.
These settings were missing in my original USB Fix from 2013, which explains why I had this USB Boot failure.
After adding these corrections to my USB Fix then everything is working OK.
Also the ASMedia XHCI Services asmtxhci and asmthub3 can be added to Tools\Win7USBBoot.ini so that WinNTSetup will also be OK for both cases Intel and ASMedia XHCI

ASMedia_XHCI_W7_2020-11-23_071108.thumb.jpg.7bd41772021c9f4d6334467f63607f2c.jpg

Edited by wimb

Update VHD_WIMBOOT Version 3.7

Download: from GitHub VHD_WIMBOOT-37 and Win_Reduce_Trusted-37

Manual:  VHD_WIMBOOT.pdf

- USB Fix 7/8 - registry tweak Win7 and UsbBootWatcher.conf for USB Boot Updated
- Added Service Settings - Intel iusb3xhc and iusb3hub and ASMedia XHCI asmtxhci and asmthub3 - Start=0 and BootFlags=4 and Group=System Bus Extender

UsbBootWatcher is useful also when booting from USB on other hardware to have the right USB service settings for that case.

Win_Reduce_Trusted allows to modify Offline Windows 7/8/10 in VHD - General Post Install Modifications
- Reduce UsedSize in VHD to about 2 GB
- make Mini 7/8/10 x64 in VHD booting as FILEDISK from USB / SSD and booting from RAMSDISK using SVBus driver
- Add Folders and Files and Registry Tweaks - e.g. Add FirewallAppBlocker and SwiftSearch
- USB Fix 7/8 for booting 7/8 VHD from USB
- run Custom Command for post install modifications

VHD_WIMBOOT_2020-11-23_080606.jpg.64f8887a04ba96597b2d4fe844c785b1.jpg  Win_Reduce_37_2020-11-23_080743.jpg.0f46a174c6a0d7022bfaa064a541fedc.jpg

Edited by wimb