Escaping the Lock Screen aka I hate Emojis

Tripredacus

The Lock Screen is supposed to be designed in such a way that you can't do anything from it (that matters) except for logging into or changing the user account, shutdown/restart, turn on accessibility options, connect to wireless network or enable Airplane Mode. At least that is what we are promised.

Quite by accident (and of course, I can't recreate it on purpose) I was able to open the Emoji Panel while in the Lock Screen. Through some miracle of timing, Windows had processed the command to open the Emoji Panel (Windows Key + ; /semicolon) and Lock the station (Windows Key + L) in some order which presented a usable Emoji Panel on top of the Lock Screen. Normally, you cannot access the Emoji Panel after locking the system, and if you open it before locking, it will be hidden. Fortunately, there does not seem to be any entry point into anything from the Emoji Panel, as it is not modal.

It leads me to believe that it would be possible to (somehow) be able to use other keyboard shortcuts to get things to appear on the Lock Screen when they shouldn't.

On 7/12/2019 at 5:24 PM, Mcinwwl said:

Maybe that's for those who put in emojis and unicode pictograms as part of their password...

I don't think so because you can't open the Emoji Panel from the lock screen. It seems like the Windows key gets disabled there.