Message for i430VX regarding RTB installer

hydro2duo

Definitely not the best way to title this thread but here goes.

In regards to the roytam1 browser installer I have a few bug reports to make:

* For some reason, the update check doesn’t seem to fail if you aren’t connected to the Internet and creates the Program Files folders and shortcuts with no content anyway. I forgot to plug in the network cable and kept thinking something was wrong lol...

* On Vista x64 the browser installs to Program Files (x86) even when choosing the 64-bit builds for some reason.

I also have a few suggestions listed below:

* Add an install path option that either installs to %AppData% directory or %ProgramFiles% directories, or allow a custom specification of where it goes.

* Perhaps add a way to “update” the browser and register it as a default browser with OS file associations if the user chooses to do so.

* (Not sure how this would be done) Check whether the system is 32-bit/64-bit and has SSE or SSE2 first and adjust the options presented accordingly (maybe add a flag if running the exe from the command line that can disable the check in case someone is downloading for another system or something).

While this isn’t exactly major stuff, it sure makes it a lot easier especially for less experienced users to this sorta stuff who just want to get browsing on their older OSes and not too do much tinkering around?

Thanks for any consideration @i430VX and thanks for making the install script/thing in the first place, it’s a good thing to have around :)

Edited by hydro2duo
I can’t abbreviate properly

• 2 weeks later...

"*For some reason, the update check doesn’t seem to fail if you aren’t connected to the Internet and creates the Program Files folders and shortcuts with no content anyway. I forgot to plug in the network cable and kept thinking something was wrong lol... "

Fixed.

"* On Vista x64 the browser installs to Program Files (x86) even when choosing the 64-bit builds for some reason. "

Fixed.

"* Perhaps add a way to “update” the browser and register it as a default browser with OS file associations if the user chooses to do so. "

Well, the installer is already capable of updating old versions to a newer one, presuming you installed the old version with it. The browsers are capable of setting file associations themselves, they usually nag you about it on the first run, if not you can set it in their settings dialog.

"* (Not sure how this would be done) Check whether the system is 32-bit/64-bit and has SSE or SSE2 first and adjust the options presented accordingly (maybe add a flag if running the exe from the command line that can disable the check in case someone is downloading for another system or something). "

I already have code to check if the system is 64 bit or not, so I can display that, I'm not sure how to "look for" SSE and SSE2.
I'm not going to prohibit installing the wrong builds for the system architecture though, someone may have a reason for wanting to do so.

"* Add an install path option that either installs to %AppData% directory or %ProgramFiles% directories, or allow a custom specification of where it goes. "

Maybe at another time, that would be a lot of work to the code (well, more than I have time to do today)

The fixes and features I've mentioned adding here (except for the last one) Will be published tonight, probably around the time RoyTam1 publishes his new browser builds.