Credentials login issues on Win 10 network

RonTom

Hi

I have had 3 computers running perfectly on a Win 10 network.  Each computer can see and access each other perfectly with no logins etc required.

But I  have now added another Win10 computer but am having issues with Network Credentials being required.

This new PC can see and access one of the others without any login.  But for the others it is asking for a Network Credentials login in order to be able to access them.

One of the existing ones can see and access the new one.  The other two can see it but are requiring credentials login.

How do I get rid of any credentials requirement on all computers.

All are set up with full file sharing etc as far as I can see.

Thanks

credentialsinspiron1907.JPG

Add the local account from "This PC" to the share permissions of DESKTOP-ICEONI7. That is the ideal way without enabling guest access on the network. Otherwise, it may be that the new computer has a different network profile set, such as Public instead of Home.

Thanks MrMateczko, All PCs have password protected sharing disabled

Sorry K-Mart-ian - I don't understand quite what I need to do from your post. Can you explain a little more for me?

Thanks

Presuming the computers know each other's host names, and all computer are logged in using local account... You should be able to add users from the other computers to the share permissions on the host. They user ComputerName\UserAccount format.

Additionally, all computers can be within the same workgroup, which may help.

Ideally, you want to create a user account on the host computer, with a password, and then use those credentials to log into the share. If you choose to remember the credentials, it should not prompt you for them again. Outside of AD/NN, this is what I do. Which basically what I am recommending is NOT what you are asking. The way to get what you are asking is to enable Guest access, which would need to be done to all hosts. This is a terrible idea normally, and certainly should not be done on any systems that are moved between networks.

Thanks, I don't think Win 10 uses homegroups or workgroups anymore - that used to work fine!

All the existing (old) computers talk to each other nicely with no complicated share permissions or credentials setup - all computers including the new one just have "Everyone" in sharing permissions with full control/read/changes.

It is just the new one that can see some and can't be seen by the existing ones or needs credential login

I also set up Guest under credentials for all but made no difference.  I haven't had to do that previously for any.

You said "The way to get what you are asking is to enable Guest access" - please could you elaborate where to do this in case I have missed this somewhere

Some can see drive c of the new computer but need credentials to go further

Some cannot see it or be seen by it

I am not worried about moving between network - our system is purely in house so full access to everything without any logins anywhere is what we want. 

Very frustrating!

All help appreciated!

There is not much control available as an admin of a desktop host. You can only have the options to authenticate or to not. There does not appear to be a way to have both. Anon or Guest access is limited, and while it should allow access to shares without a prompt, the client only will get read permissions.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/security-policy-settings/network-access-sharing-and-security-model-for-local-accounts

Microsoft has nerfed the classic Guest ability of past OSes

This has nothing to do with getting the other computers to see that the new computer exists.

Thanks, I don't want to have to authenticate anything on any computer. I just want everything to see everything without logins

I wish Microsoft wouldn't change things that weren't broken - used to work fine with workgroups or homegroups.

The credentials popup appears if the host PC has an user account which user name matches the user name of the currently logged in account on the PC accessing the share, but the passwords don't match. This applies even if eg. host PC contains a passwordless account with the user name John and you're accessing the share from another PC while you're logged in with password protected account with the user name of John regardless of whether password protected sharing is enabled or not.

• 3 weeks later...