Office 2007 no longer activate-able?

Nomen

Got a new (refurbished) Dell laptop for the office.  It came with win-10 preinstalled.  We tried to install Office 2007 on it using one of our tech-net licenses, but apparently either the licenses no longer work, or MS isin't performing online licensing / activation for office 2007 any more.  We are sticking with 2007 because it's the last version compatible with exchange running on our win-2k server.  But even though the activation didn't seem to work , the product itself seems to be functioning on the laptop so I'm wondering what's going on...

I found with Office 2010 that activation didn't work online when it was installed on Windows XP, but it did on Windows 10.
However, I found that it was still possible to activate it on XP over the phone, despite the activation notice saying that facility was no longer available either.
Are you seeing an installation ID of nine blocks of six numbers on the activation screen?
If so, you should be able to ring the MS activation line and input those numbers and get an activation code back.
It's an automated system, you don't actually speak to anyone.
It may not work with Office 2007 of course, but worth a try. It's a very tedious process, but hopefully you'll only have to do it once!
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Typo