Multiple Disk Partitions

Hi,

I'm currently using 2 different Windows Server 2008R2 ISOs to deploy on two different types of machines we have. 

The reason for this is due to one machine having 4 physical disks (2 of those are in RAID 1, so essentially 3 disks as far as the OS is concerned) and the other just having 1.

Both setups have this XML line in them under disk configuration within the AutoUnattend.xml.

<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>

If I removed this XML and then ran the 3 disk configuration AutoUnattend on the PC which has just 1 hard disk, would I still get an error or would setup continue as normal?

I'm trying to avoid having 2 separate image files.

Cheers,

Swain90

I run into many different configurations and only have one process across all images. And that is accomplished by making sure only the disk or vdisk is visible during imaging process. This means not creating or having attached disks or controllers where the OS is not present until after imaging. If a system needs to have a large array built, it is built before imaging and the controller is disconnected until after. A Pro to this is the ability to have one process for tens of different configurations and hundreds of different images. A con is that disk/volume formatting is done manually after imaging process, but before quality phase.

This type of process may only work properly in an environment where imaging is done in a specific area, but not work well in corporations that like to do the imaging after physical install in offices, etc.

Another way to handle this specific scenario of yours would be to build a custom solution. Where your WinPE would boot to a selection menu of some sort. Present option 1 (1 disk) or option 2 (2+ disks) then execute the appropriate command for each. You would use setup.exe /unattend option and point to either XML file kept in root or wherever.

PS: you would get an error if you specify Disk numbers that do not exist.