Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

RainyShadow

Free working Teamviewer alternatives for XP?

With the recent Teamviewer team shenanigans, i think it is time to move to another solution.

Any suggestions for remote administration software with a free version for non-commercial use?

I am looking for something that don't need a public IP address and can run on AthlonXP system (no SSE2).

Two-way usage ability preferred - same system should be able to connect to other systems and accept incoming connections.

Please, suggest software you tried personally on 32bit XP - don't just list the first few results from a google search :D

Posted (edited)

I've been using the venerable free version of VNC.  They have their last working XP update still posted last I checked and you can use a more recent version for you master pc if it's a more modern o/s.  I am not using it for a 2 way communication, but that's because I don't need that.  You may want to check it out yourself to see if you can run both from your xp side.  I suspect you can, but it's not something I've ever needed.

Edited by SD73

There are many variants of VNC, which one you are referring to? RealVNC, TightVNC, UltraVNC, etc.?

Also, AFAIK in order to use VNC, the system you connect to should have either a public IP or some sort of port-forwarding/NAT punching, etc.

My ISP puts me behind a NAT of some sort, so i can't make a connection from outside to my home PC.

I am looking for a solution which has a central server to help facilitate a connection, just the way Teamviewer does.

I am using RealVNC.  It's all in the same LAN so no NAT'ing on my end.  They may have a cloud solution too, but I haven't used it and if they do it may not be compatible with their legacy products.  You'll have to check.  As we're finding out, going the XP route and sticking with it is just going to keep getting more and more of a challenge.  Good luck.

I am testing Anydesk now. So far it seems good.

The file transfer tab shows empty listing for the remote side. Is it the same for you, @pcalvert?

@RainyShadow: Unfortunately, I have no easy way to test it because I rarely have a need to use AnyDesk. I use it no more than once or twice per year to work on my mother's computer.

Just tested https://www.nomachine.com/

It starts fine, but i wasn't able to connect even once. The client just looped reconnecting.

Also, seems to run only with direct connection - either local or with port-forwarding.

The installer is very invasive - it adds an administrator account, installs a few trusted publisher certificates and several virtual devices. Fortunately the uninstaller is decent enough to remove all this.

So far AnyDesk seems best. With its single, under 3MB executable, it beats both Teamviewer and Nomachine (over 130MB)

VPN, like PIA with RealVNC is what I'd do.  Not sure if the free versions offer encryption and the mirror driver.  I use Enterprise Editions.