Free working Teamviewer alternatives for XP?

RainyShadow

With the recent Teamviewer team shenanigans, i think it is time to move to another solution.

Any suggestions for remote administration software with a free version for non-commercial use?

I am looking for something that don't need a public IP address and can run on AthlonXP system (no SSE2).

Two-way usage ability preferred - same system should be able to connect to other systems and accept incoming connections.

Please, suggest software you tried personally on 32bit XP - don't just list the first few results from a google search :D

I've been using the venerable free version of VNC.  They have their last working XP update still posted last I checked and you can use a more recent version for you master pc if it's a more modern o/s.  I am not using it for a 2 way communication, but that's because I don't need that.  You may want to check it out yourself to see if you can run both from your xp side.  I suspect you can, but it's not something I've ever needed.

Edited by SD73

There are many variants of VNC, which one you are referring to? RealVNC, TightVNC, UltraVNC, etc.?

Also, AFAIK in order to use VNC, the system you connect to should have either a public IP or some sort of port-forwarding/NAT punching, etc.

My ISP puts me behind a NAT of some sort, so i can't make a connection from outside to my home PC.

I am looking for a solution which has a central server to help facilitate a connection, just the way Teamviewer does.

I am using RealVNC.  It's all in the same LAN so no NAT'ing on my end.  They may have a cloud solution too, but I haven't used it and if they do it may not be compatible with their legacy products.  You'll have to check.  As we're finding out, going the XP route and sticking with it is just going to keep getting more and more of a challenge.  Good luck.

Just tested https://www.nomachine.com/

It starts fine, but i wasn't able to connect even once. The client just looped reconnecting.

Also, seems to run only with direct connection - either local or with port-forwarding.

The installer is very invasive - it adds an administrator account, installs a few trusted publisher certificates and several virtual devices. Fortunately the uninstaller is decent enough to remove all this.

So far AnyDesk seems best. With its single, under 3MB executable, it beats both Teamviewer and Nomachine (over 130MB)

• 7 months later...

Hello, 
is able some modern VNC package to transfer files from one machine to other? Because this was always its main flaw and main Teamviewer advantage.

Otherwise is some way how to make Teamviewer working 15 on XP or we reached end of the line? I know that even with version 13 were some problems and in newer version is blocked connection to older versions, before that i was using even connection to Win98 with Teamviewer 6.

Does AnyDesk (free) - has list of computer- with info if there are online as Teamviewer etc?

Edited by ruthan

@ruthan

Better give up on Teamviewer - even if you manage to make it work now, they will probably break it again soon. Also, it's becoming more and more bloated with each update.

The main page of AnyDesk shows two contact lists - recent sessions and favorites. You can right-click one of your recents and add it to the favorites. They don't have to be only computers - i have my tablet and my phone there too :P

It supports file transfers as well.

Edited by RainyShadow

• 4 weeks later...

After some time with Anydesk its fine, luck of adress list is annoying so i had to create some online sheet.. and it has some issues with Linux - im using Mint 19.3 - cursor is sometimes invisible.. and sometime im getting stuck clicking (it could be quite dangerous.. , it able kill / freeze machine, drag and drop something etc..) and mostly working double click, when im using Qemu virtual machine within Linux through Anydesk.