Secondhand motherboards?

Roffen

Being close to 90 years of age, I take the liberty of maybe violating some forum rules, begging forgiveness. I want to write about an expereience I had quite some time ago. I bought two secondhand ASUS moitherboards on PayPal, and it took some time before I opened the packages.What I found was that essential hardware had been removed from the boards, namely.the two black, molded plastic bars designed to support the cpu cooling fan. They just.were missing! I solved the problem by removing the parts I needed from a much older motherboard taken out of service earlier. All I knew was that I had bought the two motherboards from PayPal, and I believe the seller was someone named Bilbao. One of the boards sit in the machine I am using now. The other board in another cabinet, where all I know is that the CPU fan won't run.

Have you connected the cpu fan connector to the motherboard? There should be a white 3 pin header close by (usually) labelled like cpufan or something along those lines.

The motherboards are (two!) ASUS M5A99FX PRO that I have tested.

I have not done much to investgate the fan problem, but the MB's have several three-pin contacts where a fan may be connected. As long as the CPU temp doesn't rise to high, it is irrelevant. But fans connected to the motherboard should run as soon as power is applied, and temperature should not be any problem. I have not yet tested to see if the pins that I connected to have the proper voltage for the fan. Will do further testing soon.