Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

maxtherabbit

List of Updates that do not require SSE2?

I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious here, but does anyone have a list of Windows 7 updates that are safe to install on a non-SSE2 processor? Or is it more like a "you just can't install any updates at all after 2018" kind of thing?

Edited by maxtherabbit

See: https://www.ghacks.net/2018/06/21/windows-7-support-dropped-for-cpus-without-sse2/

There they mention The troubles started with March 2018 Security Updates, so you may assume any update made before March 2018 should be safe for a non-SSE2 processor. On the other hand as updates are cumulative now, and there is not a fix for that issue, to be on the safe side I suggest DO NOT install any update made on March 2018 or latter.

Edited by alacran

10 minutes ago, alacran said:

See: https://www.ghacks.net/2018/06/21/windows-7-support-dropped-for-cpus-without-sse2/

There they mention The troubles started with March 2018 Security Updates, so you may assume any update made before March 2018 should be safe for a non-SSE2 processor. On the other hand as updates are cumulative now, and there is not a fix for that issue, to be on the safe side I suggest DO NOT install any update made on March 2018 or latter.

So it's a hard cutoff then? I was hoping that at least *some* of the post 3/18 updates would still work. (Similiar to the situation with the POSReady Windows XP updates where some of them require SSE2 but most do not)

Well what I answered is the safer way to deal with this, but if you want you may try and install the updates after 3/18 one by one and see the results by yourself.  But be aware you will find troubles.