Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

On 6/7/2019 at 11:18 AM, Queroexperimentar said:

So, there is no Light and free anti-virus software that can run on an offline windows XP machine and be updated offline like the MSE?

Not much beyond what has already been mentioned in this thread. McAfee Stinger still works on XP which is an on demand scanner which scans for the latest threats but it is not a comprehensive virus scanner and no real time scanning. It is usually updated about five times per week but not on weekends.

http://downloadcenter.mcafee.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger/stinger32.exe

An odd observation, I usually only scan the C:\ drive and McAfee Stinger manages to find more than 52,000+ files but when I scanned the C:\ drive with MSE it only scanned about 17,200+ files and was done, the progress bar having proceeded to about the 60% mark. I don't know if it was a bug in MSE or the fact that I was using MSE 4.4.304.0 and the virus definition files were not totally compatible with the older version. It's a mute moot point now but I still wonder about the threefold difference in the number of files.

For what it's worth, I stopped using my Windows 98 computer online in 2007. It still sits where it has been since 1999. I boot it up a few times per week and have transferred files to it from my XP computer using  a USB stick without being infected by a virus. My 2 cents.

15 hours ago, Tangy said:

What about if you changed user-agent to NT6.1  firefox 61.0 or even 60.9 or 52.9 ?

I'm willing to try this but I will need to understand how you mean the above.

- are you saying to manually change the user agent string without actually installing a different browser? (I purposely did not upgrade firefox when some of my critical addons stopped working)

- if yes, how to do this?

- what is the thinking behind why this would fix the problem?

5 hours ago, mo832 said:

I'm willing to try this but I will need to understand how you mean the above.

Gmail provides two GUI layouts: modern and classic. It may check User Agent string passed by the browser to decide which GUI will work better. For old browsers GMail may automatically choose classic layout, but you should be able to change it somewhere in Gmail settings. Your choice may be then saved in cookies and when Panda deletes cookies or blocks some advanced features (javascript, fonts download etc.), you will see classic layout again.

For newest browsers Gmail automatically uses modern layout - so if you want to see this layout by default, you should change User Agent string in your browser.

Open a new tab, go to address about:config, accept warning, and on the settings list right click a free space to add a new string named

general.useragent.override

with value (for Firefox 60 in Windows 7)

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0

Use Google to search for more details, if needed.

If you're afraid you will spoil something, create a new Firefox profile and use this profile for tests. Use Google to find how to create a new Firefox profile.

Still I wonder why you stay with Firefox 47. You can turn off signature checking in Firefox 52.9.0esr and use both classic and web extensions, also unsigned or manually edited (with invalid signature).

@mo832 Since you are using ff47 please read article below you might find it useful 

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/03/21/firefox-47-tab-based-temporary-user-agent-switching/

You can always change user agent by way of an add on

https://legacycollector.org/firefox-addons/

Scroll all the way down the bottom. See if any of the user agent add ons available install on your browser.

In About : config , Do not forget to set xpinstall.signatures.required to false. ( Can't remember when the signed add ons policy was implemented )

hello,

For years I used forticlient (version 5.0 to 5.2, it is said that even 5.4 could be possible with xp). In my opinion a very good one. Now since 3 months one of my xp config stopped working with BSOD using it, while another config works flawlessly with it. No show off, small footprint, realtime, found it amazing. But you can't download signatures manually.

for those who don't like automatic updates, it's possible to set them off through a config file. I still don't understand why one config is working fine with it while the other doesn't. Frustrating. If I do a clean install of xp I'll give forticlient a new try. In the meantime I use AVG free, not the best, with messages like "you're not completely protected" blablabla you should upgrade to full version... but it works. And ProcessGuard helps too.

and it's free.

On 6/8/2019 at 7:13 PM, Tangy said:

@mo832 Since you are using ff47 please read article below you might find it useful 

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/03/21/firefox-47-tab-based-temporary-user-agent-switching/

You can always change user agent by way of an add on

https://legacycollector.org/firefox-addons/

Scroll all the way down the bottom. See if any of the user agent add ons available install on your browser.

In About : config , Do not forget to set xpinstall.signatures.required to false. ( Can't remember when the signed add ons policy was implemented )

Thank you. I tried this (the test tab idea) and it did not change anything.  The only thing that has worked so far is to check off the setting in FF options that says "allow pages to choose their own fonts...". Then I get a manually chosen, "crisp" display of arial font. But it messes up other pages with custom text.

I wonder if there is a way to set that font checkbox  by individual tabs? I have only noticed one global setting for all tabs and windows.

*** Also***  I just noticed something new. It is not only for gmail. It happens even on this site (msfn.org) as I am viewing now.  I suspect it will happen on every site with a new "tablet style" custom graphic font. I don't use that XP ff 47 for much surfing anymore, just my gmail and other light things, so I never tried to access this site with the new Panda revision in place. Since I was trying to test the fonts using this board as a guide I displayed this site on the old browser and noticed the font also displays jagged edges. Now we know it is not only a google/gmail issue, it is a general font or browser issue, which I am convinced was instigated by Panda. I don't know why it had to go digging into my settings :( .

Please remember.... even with my existing setup and without changing any user agent or special tweaks, this all worked fine a few days ago... before Panda.

edit: The more I think about this, the more I suspect Panda deleted one or more of my system fonts. I have seen this before with other software, if it can't find its favorite font in the system, it simulates the closest one

Edited by mo832

@mo832 I don't think there is a built-in feature to override a pagrs styles on a tab-tab or site-site basis. There might be an add-on for this. Greasemonkey for example allows you to use java script on a site-site basis thus providing you with an opportunity for customization the caveat , such an arduous task to obtain the desired result. You could try Stylish extension or customize-your-web extension providing of course that this is feasible.

I don't use any of them. Why don't you do a clean install of Panda just in case.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-jYwX271V8s6hl47uO-S_TBOaJW-JxxN3cudix12H6c/edit

PS : nosquint extension

10 hours ago, Tangy said:

@mo832 I don't use any of them. Why don't you do a clean install of Panda just in case.

Are you saying to uninstall Panda and then install it again? Do you feel this would repair the browser alterations? I have a feeling that this type of change (which should never be made IMO to another party's software) is not something that an uninstall would go back and return to the original state. And I don't even know what the changes were so I couldn't even begin to undo them manually.

p.s.: I am happy to take this sub-thread to another location or private if it is going too off-topic

p.p.s:  Where would be an ideal place to get individual support? Geeks to go? Bleeping computer? MSFN?  This is a peculiar issue where one software product corrupts a separate software product and/or the OS. Potentially 3 interlocking factors. I have already posted on the Panda forum and still not a single reply. That entire forum has low activity.

I only had Panda on my machine for a short while, but I do remember it being quite similar to Avast and AVG.
Have you tried going into Panda's settings and switching off all the modules as a test?
These AV programs have browser "hardening" functions which could cause exactly the problems you're having.
I've had to disable a couple of settings on Malwarebytes as they caused malfunctions.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

On 6/7/2019 at 4:32 PM, VistaLover said:

If you have access to a Win7+ computer, then consider installing KAF19 (Kaspersky AntiVirus Free) on your off-line XP machines ( as suggested by @BTTB ) and then use latest Kaspersky Update Utility on the on-line Win7+ machine to download latest KAF19 definitions:

kisforum.jpg.e1de120e7d699df114112a7c2b7

The "def" files can be then transferred to the XP machines via, e.g., a USB flash stick and then installed via a process probably detailed in the Kaspersky Support Site (or just Google/Bing/DDG for it ;)).

EDIT: Support link => https://support.kaspersky.com/11705

Unfortunately, latest KUU v3.2.0.153 is build on Qt 5.8 framework, which requires Win7+ (thus, I can't test it here on Vista... :realmad: ).

EDIT2: Last XP+Vista compatible version of KUU is v3.1.0.25 (built on Qt 4.6); official download link (retrieved via web.archive.org :thumbup):

updateutility_win_3.1.0.25_release_en.zip

Once run for the first time, start an update to populate the "Applications" list with latest KAF entries... ;)

I´ve installed the Malwarebytes, but i think it isn´t a real antivirus, its just an anti-malware, a complement for a Antivirus am i right?

Were can i find an offline intaller for KAF19 (Kaspersky AntiVirus Free)?

Edited by Queroexperimentar

@. Dave-H, I may not understand this stuff correctly, but there don't appear to be too many options in the latest Panda that would seem to make system changes. I remember AVG had all kinds of preferences, but Panda is very basic. I don't really know what I could switch off to test. I did turn off the AV altogether in the system tray but that didn't help.

As has been said, check that Panda didn't install anything in Firefox.
Check the add-ons list, and if there is anything there from Panda, try disabling it.
Other than that, I would uninstall Panda completely, and see if the problem does go away.
If it doesn't go away it's presumably something else causing it.
If it does go away install Panda again and see if it comes back!
That's the only way of knowing for certain that Panda is causing the issue.
:)

15 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

As has been said, check that Panda didn't install anything in Firefox.
Check the add-ons list, and if there is anything there from Panda, try disabling it.

No, nothing that I can see.

15 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Other than that, I would uninstall Panda completely, and see if the problem does go away.
If it doesn't go away it's presumably something else causing it

Well, I am really getting more and more to believe Panda fiddled with my installed fonts. Panda itself uses a graphic font that looks very similar to how Gmail *used to* look when it was correct. It may have installed its own font and gotten rid of the one that gmail and other websites look for when rendering and now it has to approximate it with dots. If I remove Panda, I wonder if it will restore *all* elements to exactly how they were before Panda was introduced. I have my doubts.

Why don't you just redeploy your backup from just before installing Panda and try again from scratch? :dubbio:

1 hour ago, Queroexperimentar said:

I´ve installed the Malwarebytes, but i think it isn´t a real antivirus, its just an anti-malware, a complement for a Antivirus am i right?

Read this (esp. the 1st Q of the included FAQ):
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2016/12/announcing-malwarebytes-3-0-a-next-generation-antivirus-replacement/

39 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Why don't you just redeploy your backup from just before installing Panda and try again from scratch? :dubbio:

Unfortunately, I don't have a recent enough one, and I had never before had to consider making a full backup prior to installing a reputable commercial AV program. MSE revenge! :unsure: