Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

Well, based on the horror stories of Mathwiz and Dave-H, I decided to take the "chicken" approach and disabled the AM service and the MSE process in msconfig just to stop it from running on startup, and then did a restart to see if it would take effect. As expected, I got the red shield warning saying the MSE is reporting disabled. Then I downloaded and installed the Panda Security Free Antivirus. I didn't know if it would install, also recalling the comments that some people have success and others don't. To my delight, it installed normally, and to my pleasant surprise the install was pretty quick and straightforward. So far, so good, but I can say it "seems" to be much lighter.

I hope this lasts and provides effective service. We'll see.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful insights!! :)

Hi, i need a light free simple anti-vírus with oflline installer and offline updates, to use on my windows XP pc that is not connected to internet, what is the best solution since the MSE stopped working once for all?

Edited by Queroexperimentar

So I have a unique problem now. I know this is off topic and not the best place to ask this question, but I am hoping someone can direct me to the best place to ask the question and maybe have some hint as to why it is happening, since it seems to be directly related to mse/xp.

As I noted above, I disable MSE and installed Panda. Everything appeared normal but now I notice when I run Firefox (ver 47) and go to gmail, the text renders in this weird jagged low-res format, as opposed to the new-look "tablet style" app text/font. This seems to be a direct effect of changing the AV software, since I made no other changes.

Can anyone offer any hints or tips?

3 minutes ago, mo832 said:

As I noted above, I disable MSE and installed Panda. Everything appeared normal but now I notice when I run Firefox (ver 47) and go to gmail, the text renders in this weird jagged low-res format, as opposed to the new-look "tablet style" app text/font. This seems to be a direct effect of changing the AV software, since I made no other changes.

Panda seems to be more like internet security suite. It may delete cookies or block some javascript code.

My only issue is finding something that doesn't nag constantly about purchasing something. I liked MSE for that alone...the XP virtual machines I'm running aren't at high risk for infection, but still, should have something just in case.

Suggestions on free A/V that doesn't constantly demand you knock down some sales pitch?

(And much thanks to everyone who kept MSE running on XP as long as was possible...those of us out here really appreciate it!)

Edited by CharlieSummers
Add thanks.

28 minutes ago, CharlieSummers said:

My only issue is finding something that doesn't nag constantly about purchasing something. I liked MSE for that alone...the XP virtual machines I'm running aren't at high risk for infection, but still, should have something just in case.

Suggestions on free A/V that doesn't constantly demand you knock down some sales pitch?

(And much thanks to everyone who kept MSE running on XP as long as was possible...those of us out here really appreciate it!)

No pitch with this one:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177099-antivirus-for-xp/?do=findComment&comment=1162856

3 hours ago, Queroexperimentar said:

So, there is no Light and free anti-virus software that can run on an offline windows XP machine and be updated offline like the MSE?

If you have access to a Win7+ computer, then consider installing KAF19 (Kaspersky AntiVirus Free) on your off-line XP machines ( as suggested by @BTTB ) and then use latest Kaspersky Update Utility on the on-line Win7+ machine to download latest KAF19 definitions:

kisforum.jpg.e1de120e7d699df114112a7c2b7

The "def" files can be then transferred to the XP machines via, e.g., a USB flash stick and then installed via a process probably detailed in the Kaspersky Support Site (or just Google/Bing/DDG for it ;)).

EDIT: Support link => https://support.kaspersky.com/11705

Unfortunately, latest KUU v3.2.0.153 is build on Qt 5.8 framework, which requires Win7+ (thus, I can't test it here on Vista... :realmad: ).

EDIT2: Last XP+Vista compatible version of KUU is v3.1.0.25 (built on Qt 4.6); official download link (retrieved via web.archive.org :thumbup):

updateutility_win_3.1.0.25_release_en.zip

Once run for the first time, start an update to populate the "Applications" list with latest KAF entries... ;)

Edited by VistaLover
Include KUU usage link

It has been a loooong while since I used malwarebytes, but what I remember is that it is an on-demand scan. Does it have a persistent malware blocker that is always monitoring while windows is loaded? Even for version 1.75?

6 hours ago, mo832 said:

So I have a unique problem now. I know this is off topic and not the best place to ask this question, but I am hoping someone can direct me to the best place to ask the question and maybe have some hint as to why it is happening, since it seems to be directly related to mse/xp.

Many sites download their own fonts. I suspect Gmail is among them. Panda may be blocking the font download; I don't know anything about it but you might look for a setting related to downloading fonts.

13 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

Many sites download their own fonts. I suspect Gmail is among them. Panda may be blocking the font download; I don't know anything about it but you might look for a setting related to downloading fonts.

That's an interesting thought. I tried to "stop" panda antivirus and restarted firefox, but it did not help. Do you think this "blocking" would continue even if panda was not running at the time? Perhaps a permanent setting tweak when the program was installed?

I guess it depends on what it did. Did Panda install an add-on to Firefox? That could still be there.

It could also have updated the hosts file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) to block access to certain hosts; if it happened to block the host where the fonts come from, that would cause problems too.

Edit: I doubt it would change any prefs, but just in case; go into about:config and make sure gfx.downloadable_fonts.enabled is set to true.

Edited by Mathwiz

On 6/4/2019 at 7:10 PM, Dave-H said:

I'm using Malwarebytes 3.5.1 on the XP side of my main machine, and that works fine.

Well, I've tested it until today, and finding it works OK for me, too, have just bought the license to have it permanently in premium mode.
I've kept MSE, however, because MBAM doesn't require the removal and it remains capable of detecting all that was known to the last definitions file. Moreover, as you all have posted, removing it seems to be a PITA, and I'm not in the mood for such a experience these days. Thanks for the suggestion, @Dave-H! You do rock! :thumbup
And thanks for all who posted here till now, besides Dave. All your posts helped me a lot in deciding what to do.
It's wonderful to belong to such a helpful and knowledgeable coummunity! :cheerleader:

9 hours ago, mo832 said:

What about if you changed user-agent to NT6.1  firefox 61.0 or even 60.9 or 52.9 ?