New Hot Fixes : Problem with Q831167

mdes

AaronXP said in the 1st post here:

Q831167 (7th February 2004) *NEW*

Wininet retries POST requests with a blank header

Download - 378 KB

Note: Install this AFTER the IE6SP1 February 2004 Cumulative Update! (Q832894)

but XCPREATE put it after, as told by my SVCPACK.INF file:
[setupHotfixesToRun] ...Q83116~1.EXE /Q:A /R:N Q83289~1.EXE /Q:A /R:N QCHAIN.EXE 
[ProductCatalogsToInstall]...Q831167.CAT Q832894.CAT

I have problem to install WinXP from the generated CD (but I am not sure it is really the problem source). I thing that XPCREATE is testing the hot fixes dates to sort them in the good way: is it really the case for these 2 HF?

xpcreate sorts hotfixes numerically(ascending) by the .cat file inside the hotfix. Just make sure to run IESP1 update prior to the new hotfix. modify your svcpack.inf file to make sure that 831167 is run after 832894. That should fix your problem.

Another solution would be to repackage the 831167 and place it into the svc-msx folder. Not sure if xpcreate would still sort it by the .cat when place in that folder, but the folder description indicates that all the files dropped in svc-msx are run AFTER the hotfixes.

So, you have a couple of ways to work this out. Let us know how it turns out.

Blyster

Thanks for the advice, but I don't remember how to feed IEXPRESS to repack "WindowsXP-KB817778-x86-FRA.exe /Q /U /O /N /Z" :) There are the following files in the exe:

dummy.catIEUNINST.EXE (uninstallation program?)IEUPDATE.EXEQ831167.catQ831167.inf (Signature = "$Windows NT$")Q831167_d.inf (signature="$CHICAGO$")Q831167_me.cat (I suppose it is for WinME)WININET.DLL

Should I incluse all these files? Which is the install program from IEXPRESS point of view: IEUPDATE.EXE, Q831167.inf or Q831167_d.inf? (I don't think it is IEUNINST.EXE)

Welcome back, mdes, you have ben quiet!

Indeed, Q831167 is installed before Q832894. Sort for Type II hotfixes is alphabetical. You could change the names to adjust installation order. However, my tests show that this does not present a problem. I assume file copies based on date, and QCHAIN prevent any version error.

There really should be no need to repack anything ...

Everything is nearly OK :rolleyes: It was a hardware problem: old CD-Writer with bad CD-RW not detected by Windows installation (ie no error message during install :), but bad install).