Visual Studio 2010 on Windows 2000 KernelEx[RESOLVED]

Hello Everyone!

I have an old laptop (Pentium 4 2.80GHz, 30 GB hard drive, 512MB RAM) where I installed Windows 2000 with KernelEx 2.8c 
Many programs that didn't work before now work perfectly.
Now I would like to install Visual Studio 2010 Express (requires only 2GB).
Here's what I did:

1. I downloaded the Visual Studio offline iso file from the internet
  2.  I downloaded a utility called ImDisk (It allows to emulate a dvd drive when you select the iso)
  3. I tried to start the program, it started, but it didn't go far ... Because it gave an error when it tried to install the .net Framework 4.0 Multi-target.

On the internet I have found nothing on how to run it on Windows 2000.
Anyone knows?

(P.S. I managed to install .net framework 3.5 and .net framework 2.0 SP2)

Edited by mrbean001

I have windows 2000 in english. Should I download the third file on this list?

.Net Framework 4.0 For Win2000(for Extended Kernel v2.1b and later) RC1
http://w2k.flxsrv.org/cgi-bin/wluc.cgi?OS=1&TYPE=-1&LANG=0&DATE=201&DATE2=/&KEY=.net+4.0&DLANG=2

UPDATE: If I download the third file(The non-beta file) it says not found.... but there is a string in the end of the url "&lang=ja"(language = japan) if I remove it, the site gives me a bad gateway error :(

Edited by mrbean001

Ok, I tried to install .net framework 4.0 RC3 from @blackwingcat blog, but I think is in a loop...

I started the program more than 2 hours ago and it keeps installing.... :(

I also found a comment describing the same problem(I used google translate from Japanese to English)

Yes, it does take a long time to install. It took well over an hour on a Core 2 Duo E6700 desktop with a 7200 RPM HDD, so I'd hate to see how long it would take on a P4 laptop.

Hello, I'm back! :) 

So I made it! I installed succesfully .net framework 4.0 for windows 2000!

I downloaded this utility for checking installation: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2008/10/13/net-framework-setup-verification-tool-users-guide/

It says all OK.

Now the problem is that I can't bypass this setup limitation... In fact it tries anyway to install .net framework.... I noticed that is 4.0 but is for multi target.. So I think that I should find some vs 2010 setup that installs directly without all those features....

Anyone has a link?

UPDATE: I tried and now is installing, I will update you in case of success or failure. See you later! :) 

(P.S. I really appreciate your help :D)

Edited by mrbean001

• mrbean001 changed the title to Visual Studio 2010 on Windows 2000 KernelEx[RESOLVED]

Perfect! It is installed! But only 2 optional components are not installed:

Microsoft Windows Installer 4.5(x86) - Windows XP

Microsoft Windows Installer 4.5 Update(x86) - Windows XP

but it is installed! So MANY Thanks @win32 for your help and @blackwingcat for his KernelEx

Now I will go to his blog and try to find those components

• 1 year later...

mrbean001, win32 Could someone provide the link to download Net Framework 4.0 for Windows 2000 (261 MB) because in BWC.at win2k.org/wlu/wlu.htm you don't have it , only Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0. 3 Roll update since 2014 37.1 MB,
TLS 1.2 support for .Net Framework 4.0 (KB4483475) 2 MB.  at blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1707344.html= link doesn't work lINK dead, thanks!

On 10/24/2020 at 8:06 AM, Kyw said:

mrbean001, win32 Could someone provide the link to download Net Framework 4.0 for Windows 2000 (261 MB) because in BWC.at win2k.org/wlu/wlu.htm you don't have it , only Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0. 3 Roll update since 2014 37.1 MB,
TLS 1.2 support for .Net Framework 4.0 (KB4483475) 2 MB.  at blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1707344.html= link doesn't work lINK dead, thanks!

Here is a working link for .NET Framework 4.0 RC3 for Windows 2000.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14Nez-acl5BIogH7eyBHNBwmpTwoFbnbx/view?usp=sharing

He always speaks at a very high level, he's already an MSFN superstar, he's not afraid,
of questions, and he's want to face them.
Super star Ximonite ?? Make sure of this when you post. Very strong in the explanations, uses extremely high and superior level. MSFN certainly has other members, but you Ximonite !! did not allow this supremacy! You are a superstar today at MSFN, and you show it every day! Thank you Ximonite!!

• 2 years later...
10 hours ago, joveaaron said:

Hey there,

I was wondering if making .NET Framework 4.5 (C# 5) work in W2K is a thing because C# 5 implemented async and await, making my life way easier when coding

There was an attempt at installing .NET Framework 4.5 on Windows 2000, and it was successful. However, not a single .NET Framework 4.5 app was ran successfully. Here, see this article. (you will have to use a translator, as the link sends to a japanese site)