NT 4 - Bypass Ctrl + Alt + Delete?

I just installed NT 4 on another D600 hard drive and am now locked out because of the screen. I've tried doing ctrl + alt + delete, but it appears my laptop's keys are not working. Not even the light for number lock turns on when I press that button as well. I'm not sure what the issue is...

Are there any workarounds? I would be bummed to be locked out of a perfectly good OS because of a few faulty keys.

I also tried using my external keyboard with no success (although my installation is currently NT4 SP1)

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

5 hours ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

Please elaborate! Windows NT is STUCK at the "Press + Alt + Delete" screen! I can't even get into Windows and modify the registry!

get an ERD 2003 and change registry instead.

4 hours ago, jumper said:

Did you try googling "ERD 2003"? Adding "site:msfn.org" finds many threads on that subject.

Hmm, isn't there another way to indirectly modify NT 4's registry? Alternative software or perhaps a Linux pendrive to modify it?

Main problems: I cannot find ERD 2003 because it's a ware and I do not know how to indirectly modify the Windows NT4 registry from a pen drive. I have access to files, but am unsure how to edit registry.

I'm sorry to sound like a big baby, but looking at all the solutions are giving me a headache XoX

Can offlinereg boot from usb?...I am so exhausted from such a simple problem being so complicated...

I tried burning two different programs to my flash drive in hopes to boot from there and modify the registry...grub is oddly mistaking letters for numbers when I type:wacko:

6 minutes ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

I'm sorry to sound like a big baby, but looking at all the solutions are giving me a headache XoX

Can offlinereg boot from usb?...I am so exhausted from such a simple problem being so complicated...

I tried burning two different programs to my flash drive in hopes to boot from there and modify the registry...grub is oddly mistaking letters for numbers when I type:wacko:

Well, no offense intended :), but you do sound something like that :w00t:.

Of course offlinereg cannot boot, it is a program, not an operating system.

You need a PE of some kind and add to it the offlinereg or boot to another (already installed) Windows OS and use offlinereg on it.

If you like the Linux way, there is hivexsh (AGAIN a program, not an OS):

http://libguestfs.org/hivexsh.1.html

(but you won't probably like it).

jaclaz

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

Well, no offense intended :), but you do sound something like that :w00t:.

Of course offlinereg cannot boot, it is a program, not an operating system.

You need a PE of some kind and add to it the offlinereg or boot to another (already installed) Windows OS and use offlinereg on it.

If you like the Linux way, there is hivexsh (AGAIN a program, not an OS):

http://libguestfs.org/hivexsh.1.html

(but you won't probably like it).

jaclaz

None taken, I brought it up anyway x_x

I was hoping for an easier, more user-friendly solution of booting from a USB and modifying the NT4 registry from there TT_TT

For now, I'll put NT 4 D600 testing on hold.

Yep, but the easier/more user friendly solution is a PE (of some kind) and by now you should have not 1, not 2 but no less than 3 such bootable environments (on USB or on CD/DVD).

Hint:

A "normal" Windows Vista (or later, let's say 7) install DVD actually boots to a (very minimal) PE.

AFAIK/AFAICR the offlinereg program and DLL run just fine in such a minimal environment, so you can simply make a bootable copy on USB of the install DVD and go from there:

http://reboot.pro/files/file/340-quickpe/

or use the ADK:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe-create-usb-bootable-drive

jaclaz